• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats Your current job description?

Bu1cko

Occupation
Firefighter, Work Part time for a roads dept
I pretend to be a fireman then go home and pretend to be a farmer and in the winter months pretend to be an operator for a road mantanence dept.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
I sit in a big metal cage for 10 hours a night....I'm the night shift tool crib guy :p I have test sets, hand tools, slings, torque wrenches and anything else the Navy needs to fix and maintain 30 aircraft (AV8-B, F/A-18 A to F, H-60, T-39, HH1-N, AH-1W, AH-1Z, UH-1Y and UAV's)

On the weekends I play with my Grader :D

Howdy Tester! I know the drill, it is a living eh:thumbsup After the Navy I worked at Strike test for Dyncorp wrenching on Hornets and Prowlers before moving to a new and better position in aviation safety.

On the weekdays (except Friday), I'm a college student studying civil engineering.

On the weekends, I'm a roller coaster operator. I check seatbelts and lap bars, then push the flashing button to start the automatic ride cycle. It's an OK job, but not ideal - I think I would like it better if we didn't have to clean up :throwup...vomit. Oh well, the season will end soon enough.:beatsme

I don't want to get into details just yet, but, starting Friday, it looks like I'll have my first ever job in the earthmoving business!:woohoo I've been looking for a chance to get this kind of practical experience for a long time - need I say more?

Last edited:

F-1.08-F.G.

Job Description

I work for a company that does alot of earth work and fine grading around Richmond... so depending on what the day calls for, I could be doing anything from a long list of tasks. Decrypting plans, setting up the level, scaling contour lines from plans and putting in rough grade stakes. Checking grade after determining subgrades from sectional thicknesses for everything from pans to hoes, loaders, dozers, posi-tracks and graders using said stakes and either a six-footer or a pop-level. All that normally adds up to me running the show including managing cut/fill ops, slab/fine grade crews, load counts and cubic quanities for the day, and being a half rear ended soils tech to make sure the fill is sutible and the lifts don't get too thick, all while the foreman attends to "other things". If noone is there to run the equipment, then I go back to being an operator, which some days means being a one man three ring circus... measure it, cut it, load it, move it, measure it, fill it, roll it then start all over:shf Lately they've stuck me in the new D6K with the TopCon GPS system... nice machine, nice benefits (no silt/safety fence duty), just get in hit the switch and avoid manholes and valve boxes, boring days, but the man who's name is on the side of the truck likes how I run it, so I don't have a choice and I'm really not complaining. Lastly... if I'm not in the machine, and sometimes even if I am, I'm forced to answer questions for equipmentally challenged operators who answer their own questions before they're done asking. So... in shorthand... set grades, check grades, pull sticks, push buttons, talk on phone, point and scream:mad::spaz:cussing:guns

Sharky

Lots of dirt and rock work. Crushing, loading, hauling, sloping,cutting, filling, blasting and the like.

Shoveling, raking, compacting, and about anything else you can think of.

The job we are working now is mostly a "Shot rock" job. State highway overpass built from og and elevating 26' with Over 500,000 tons of fill,mostly 1-4' in size. 3' lifts and lots of dozing. All highway trucks "Highspills"/Traildumps coming in so it needs to be Level all the time.

Been on the cat for years, but over a year on this job alone. Almost done with it now.

Here are a few pics of the perseverance trail where we had to do a full bench cut into the STEEP mountainside. One wrong move and your done. The others are from the highway job I am on now.

Attachments

• Icefield 135.jpg
    Icefield 135.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Icefield 148.jpg
    Icefield 148.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Persevarance Trail 009.jpg
    Persevarance Trail 009.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 111
  • Persevarance Trail 011.jpg
    Persevarance Trail 011.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Persevarance Trail 018.jpg
    Persevarance Trail 018.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 115

PMP Daddy

I'm a hardcore junkaholic,12 crawler tractors, 14 wheeled tractors, 58 motorcycles, 10 boats,no airplanes yet.I am a part time rock farmer, because I own and run a motocross race track.I am also a full time junk mechanic, and a chiropractor 3 days a week.