• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's Your favorite Insulated Coveralls?

wheelie

My wife always limited the amount of layers I could wear.. something about not wanting the distance to not exceed the reach:eek:

ValleyFirewood

Arctic blast? It was almost 30* here yesterday.... And it rained!? WTH! I took my poncho out of the truck a few days before, didn't expect I'd be needing it again...

Been a weird winter so far.

kokosing

Occupation
assistant manager/operator for a lumber reload yar
@ValleyFirewood, what kind of boots do you wear? And how much Thinsulate do they have?

For me I work on the railroad so in and out of the engine is common, I try not to dress too warm but comfortable, walking, bending, climbing and a lot of physical labor works up a sweat. Pair of jeans with thermals, undershirt, thermal shirt, longsleeve t-shirt and/or a turtleneck and then a thermal lined hoodie. I can't wear jackets, I feel too constricted in them when moving around, my hoodie is a zip-up so easy on, easy off...and of course all the gear is Carhartt except the boots-those are Georgia's.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't think anybody mentioned but somebody once told me that it is important to stay feeling a bit cold, and not layer up so you are completely comfortable. This way you are not sweating which will chill you later if you have to stop physical labor for a period of time.

The rule of survival in the woods, "get wet and die"

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I don't think anybody mentioned but somebody once told me that it is important to stay feeling a bit cold, and not layer up so you are completely comfortable. This way you are not sweating which will chill you later if you have to stop physical labor for a period of time.

The rule of survival in the woods, "get wet and die"

Thats the importance of layers. Strip a little off right before you start working hard so you don't sweat then put them back on when your done.

I really like silk/poly long johns over cotton. They seem to be way warmer and like others I only wear bib overall.
Anyone wear the old school red long underwear with the "flap"? My old man still wears his. They got to be 40 years old. It cracks me up when I go to visit and in the morning he is standing there making breakfast in those.

DigDug

Dozerboy, Ha, I have one of those long red Union Suits . Got it at L.L. Beans about 10 years ago. Wear it often. Think im going to change to some silky type long johns that I tried lately and they worked great.

ValleyFirewood

I've tried several different brands rated to cold temps and none really worked for me.

My feet don't make good heat for some reason. I'm not sure if it's from playing out too long as a kid and freezing my feet too many times or what.

I wish I knew how I could keep my feet warm since that's about all that gets cold. My hands usually stay warm enough that if I pull my gloves off they are steaming.

@ValleyFirewood, what kind of boots do you wear? And how much Thinsulate do they have?

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
Carhartts only if you take care of them they will last for 4 to 5 years.But it seems like there making them cheaper.