• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What's your hoe doing?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Trying to move a very big boulder with a Case 580SL.
When I am trying to move a boulder that is heavier than the capacity of my machine, I usually just get the bucket under it and lift to the point I feel the machine can handle, then put it first and pull foward. I used to try to lift, but once the back wheels are off the ground, traction is limited, and it is sketchy. Using the method I described, you avoid all of this...The boulder gets safely moved.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
Load the backhoe bucket with as much ballast as you can and keep the front bucket as low as possible.

Maybe extend the stabilizers close to the ground if you have room

Doug580l

I moved a heavier rock last year and did fill the backhoe bucket and had to extend the backhoe in order to keep the back wheels on the ground. But that was all on more level ground. The uneven ground is the issue now. I've got it almost out of the forest and onto a trail. There's one big hill that I need to go down. I'm planning on backing down the trail and try to turn around and go forward at some point when there's enough room to do it.

The rock is so tall and top heavy that I seem to need to raise the bucket up a ways on order to keep it from falling out. Dragging the rock with a chain seems like it would work but I'd hate to tear up the trail too much because it's at the bottom of a hill and tends to wash out in ares without vegetation. I'm guessing I would need to drag it 400'-500'. It might end up being the best and safest option.

I'll attach a couple pictures of the rock I moved last year. I used a bail spear on it which helped but I bent up the frame of it quite a bit so I don't use it for rocks anymore.

Attachments

• 20221028_135239.jpg
    20221028_135239.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221028_132230.jpg
    20221028_132230.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23

ianjoub

Trying to move a very big boulder with a Case 580SL. I've moved it about 150' so far on 3 tries. It's pretty hilly and uneven land. Almost tipped over sideways once and I had to lower and dump it. The 2 other times it just fell foreward out of the bucket. I need to move it about another 1000' or so. The first few hundred feet are bad but after that it's fairly level ground. I've given up for now but am thinking of a couple different ways to go about it on the next attempts.
Move it in 2 pieces

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I moved a heavier rock last year and did fill the backhoe bucket and had to extend the backhoe in order to keep the back wheels on the ground. But that was all on more level ground. The uneven ground is the issue now. I've got it almost out of the forest and onto a trail. There's one big hill that I need to go down. I'm planning on backing down the trail and try to turn around and go forward at some point when there's enough room to do it.

The rock is so tall and top heavy that I seem to need to raise the bucket up a ways on order to keep it from falling out. Dragging the rock with a chain seems like it would work but I'd hate to tear up the trail too much because it's at the bottom of a hill and tends to wash out in ares without vegetation. I'm guessing I would need to drag it 400'-500'. It might end up being the best and safest option.

I'll attach a couple pictures of the rock I moved last year. I used a bail spear on it which helped but I bent up the frame of it quite a bit so I don't use it for rocks anymore.
Can you get under it and flip it to roll it down the hill?

joe--h

Battery hammer drill & feathers & wedges. Not a lot of fun but better than tearing up your equipment.

Joe H

Welder Dave

If anything is going to bow your bucket that's it. I've moved rocks I couldn't pick up by flipping them over. Can you drag it or flip it with the backhoe? Moving those huge rocks can't be good for the machine.

Last edited:

casey518

Trying to move a very big boulder with a Case 580SL. I've moved it about 150' so far on 3 tries. It's pretty hilly and uneven land. Almost tipped over sideways once and I had to lower and dump it. The 2 other times it just fell foreward out of the bucket. I need to move it about another 1000' or so. The first few hundred feet are bad but after that it's fairly level ground. I've given up for now but am thinking of a couple different ways to go about it on the next attempts.
Stick the boom straight out behind you. Even with a rock in the hoe bucket. Would serve as a counter weight and lower you cog. Just an ideer. Iv seen people drive withe the stabilizers just inches above the ground in case she tips.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
If your land is flat roll it. Otherwise, drag it . Not likely you can drag it with one hoe, but a snatch block & cable you can use two. If you don't need a large boulder, break it with fire.
An oil burner from an old furnace, or a wood fire will break it into smaller pieces.

aighead

Is "Ashless Hydraulic Oil AW 46 Zinc Free - 5 Gallon Pail (18L - 4.75 GAL)" acceptable to use in my hoe? I don't know what Ashless is? They are out of the same stuff I put in last time. It's the same brand, Sinopec, L-HM 46. Can I mix the normal and ashless without causing any issues?

Thanks!

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Is "Ashless Hydraulic Oil AW 46 Zinc Free - 5 Gallon Pail (18L - 4.75 GAL)" acceptable to use in my hoe? I don't know what Ashless is? They are out of the same stuff I put in last time. It's the same brand, Sinopec, L-HM 46. Can I mix the normal and ashless without causing any issues?
Let me first say that I am no oil expert...there are some on here, and hopefully they will chime in.

I looked up the oil that you spelled out above. It does not claim to be a tractor oil. This is important because your NH has wet brakes (when you are adding to the differential), which require specific additives. I use the Tractor Supply Premium in all reservoirs. My smaller tractor has a common reservoir for the hydraulics and differential. Using the Tractor Supply in everything just keeps it simple for me.

Personally, I would get the Tractor Supply oil. I cannot imagine that the sinopec is much cheaper, especially when it is on sale at Tractor Supply.

Sinopec
Product description
Sinopec L-HV Low Temperature Antiwear Hydraulic Oil is a line of premium
quality antiwear lubricants blended using selected and highly refined highquality
mineral oils, combined with a multifunctional additive system and
available in a wide viscosity range from ISO Grade 15 to 100. This line of oils,
with high viscosity index and low pour point characteristics, has been
designed to meet the requirements of moderate- to high-pressure hydraulic
systems operating outdoors in cold regions, or where there is a wide variation
in ambient temperature.

Tractor Supply
Premium Tractor Fluid is a premium, multi-purpose lubricant formulated from select base stocks and an advanced additive system. It is engineered for use in a variety of farm equipment, off highway machinery, industrial tractors, final drives, power take-off units, wet brakes, power steering units and hydraulic systems. It provides the unique combination of ultimate equipment protection and the convenience of using one fluid in place of two or more fluids while maintaining optimum equipment performance and component durability.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Around here, it’s hard to find the Tractor Supply Premium but if you can find it, it’s still cheaper than everything else.
Though still higher than pre-Covid.

aighead

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
No, I get the universal, which is harder to find but it’s good for wet brakes.
It also conforms to Case TCH so I use it in my Tranny.
Also can use in my hydrostatic Kubota.
Also says good for Case Hytrans

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Around here, it’s hard to find the Tractor Supply Premium but if you can find it, it’s still cheaper than everything else.

I had the same problem about a year ago. Now it is back in stock locally. Whenever it is on sale, I pick up a couple of pails so I never have run out.