• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wheel mounted vs. Track mounted

Bezzy

Just wondering what everybody thinks of a track mounted crusher set up compared to a wheel mounted set up. We have looked at both and the tracks cut the setup time down considerably but everything on them looks so tight. Maintenance looks impossible for bearing changes and tail pullies. The wheel mounted units are easy to work on because everything is spread out but if the spread is big enough it can take a day or two to take down, move and set back up. Do you trade ease of set up for maintenance issues later.

ascsean

I would defiantly go with track mounted way easier setup as you said can move around and keep clean while on site most wheel crushers have to be set in the air i believe. The maintenance shouldn't be that hard

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
Just wondering what everybody thinks of a track mounted crusher set up compared to a wheel mounted set up. We have looked at both and the tracks cut the setup time down considerably but everything on them looks so tight. Maintenance looks impossible for bearing changes and tail pullies. The wheel mounted units are easy to work on because everything is spread out but if the spread is big enough it can take a day or two to take down, move and set back up. Do you trade ease of set up for maintenance issues later.

What're you using it for?

dumptrucker

I would say no matter what go with the track set up. I rented a primary jaw crusher on tracks a few years ago to crush up a pile of tailings with asphalt mixed in. It was at a town pit. This was their "junk" pile. The pile was about 400 feet long and 40 wide by 15 to 20 high. We closed down the jaws to put out a 4 inch product. They were using it for new base on a road. I set the crusher up along side of the pile, climbed on top with the 325 and loaded the crusher. As I got out of reach of the crusher I could remotely from the cab move the crusher to where I could load it again. It worked great.
Easier to move around pit and sites and easier to move period. Clean off , and load on lowboy and away you go. No jacking and blocking to make level , no problem moving around on sites.
The one I rented was a Pegson. Did not have a single problem with it. worked great.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
It is totally about application! the way dumptrucker used it is an ideal situation, only making one product from an already produced pile perfect application for a tracked machine. Aboslutely no doubt that a wheel mounted plant "operates" cheaper per ton than tracked (this does not include set-up or mobe). In my experience if you are trying to produce a crushed smaller spec rock product the track machines loose there function because you are trying to "fit" multiple screens and crushers together typically with portable conveyors which sit on the ground!!! I have experience with pegson impactors, impactors with screens on them, two sizes of there jaws, cones, powerscreens of multiple sizes, and array of wheel mounted crushing equipment. I have 100's of hours of repair time in the pegson tracked 27x44 jaw plant. The best application I ever saw one used in was a smaller pegson track jaw it was on a steep narrow goat trail of a road an excavator was digging up the road bed which was like 12" minus which had been placed with a dozer many moons ago, on the discharge end a track loader (to steep and narrow for a wheel loader) was knocking down the pile so it didn't build up under the belt, later they came back and graded the road somehow probably a cat with a pat dozer, wasn't there for that part... Again its all about application!!!! TIO