• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where are model and S/N on JD backhoes?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nice find Tinkerer. The report shows a displacement of 106.1 cid, that would be a 2-53 Detroit.

harrywat

Thanks to you guys identifying my tractor/loader backhoe I now have seven manuals on order from johndeeretechinfo.com. For the 440 ID tractor it's, operator, service, parts and engine. For the model 51 backhoe it's, service and parts. For the model 71 loader, only the operators manual. A lister on another site says it will provide the parts requirement. Total with shipping and tax = $338.00.

That's steep, but if they allow me to DIY on three or four projects, a lot of it will be paid for. I've never been around JD equipment and books, but if they match Toro, it will be money well spent.

Again, thanks
Harry

Dean

Hey Harry,

I finally went to the site where my backhoe is. My tag has 410CF and a serial # on it. There is no tag by the key.

harrywat

Hey Harry,

I finally went to the site where my backhoe is. My tag has 410CF and a serial # on it. There is no tag by the key.

Thanks for checking Dean, as you can read above, the folks here figured out what I had and I'm awaiting the books. After I study enough to ask half way decent (non stupid) questions I plan to bug this site for answere.

Thanks
Harry

harrywat

Thanks to you guys identifying my tractor/loader backhoe I now have seven manuals on order from johndeeretechinfo.com. For the 440 ID tractor it's, operator, service, parts and engine. For the model 51 backhoe it's, service and parts. For the model 71 loader, only the operators manual. A lister on another site says it will provide the parts requirement. Total with shipping and tax = $338.00.

That's steep, but if they allow me to DIY on three or four projects, a lot of it will be paid for. I've never been around JD equipment and books, but if they match Toro, it will be money well spent.

I may have alresdy paid for my books with a no-cost fix within hours of receiving the books.

My worst identified problem was a massive fluid leak from the swing cylinder. I spent two hours reading how to reseal the unit and was not sure if I was up to it with all the heavy lifting required.

While reading maintenance requirements, I ran up on this statement "At least once a week, torque swing cylinder top and bottom cap bolts as illustrated in fig 20-5-12." Sure enough, cheater bar tight and no more leak.

My other major leak is the left loader cylinder. Is this DIY job? I'm welled tooled, an ex USAF jet engine mechanic, and work on old Mercedes diesels all the time. I even split a Ford backhoe twice for a converter replacement. The second split was because I forgot to remove the plastic protector in the new converter, duh. But I've never had a cylinder job.

Can I do it with normal tools?

Thanks
Harry

harrywat

I don't see why you couldn't. Send us some pics of the cylinder. :)

There's a picture of the cylinder on page one of this thread. Its not a close up, but it is in that first group I sent that shows the left side of the B/H.

Should I take a close up? The fluid is coming out at the shaft.

Thanks
Harry