• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where is the "Sticky Note" section for this forum??

Rocketsled

Maybe there is already a page and I missed it but it seems most forums have a section that contain information that is most commonly sought. For example there needs to be a page that we can post all cross reference #'s to. That would save people a lot of time and $$. I know there are a lot of basics that I have had to search and search for that should easily qualify for a Sticky Note. Or maybe the man behind the curtain is a Dealer...hahahah! :drinkup

Rocketsled

Bump...to the top with ya!
Please post if you are tired of having to search for basic info and you would like the admin to add a sticky note section! Don't forget the squeaky wheels get the grease!

caseau

Bump...to the top with ya!
Please post if you are tired of having to search for basic info and you would like the admin to add a sticky note section! Don't forget the squeaky wheels get the grease!

I agree, or otherwise add a few subsections to store technical/popular stuff, so we can find it easily in the one location ie could be under "special tools", "restorations", "hydraulic repairs" to name a few?

Rocketsled

Right on caseau! Surprised there isn't more support for this. Over 200 views and no one else has bothered to post. Probably too busy searching and searching for the basic info that we are refering to! :Banghead

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I'd read this request, and wasn't sure exactly what you're asking for, so I asked the rest of the staff, and nobody else knows either. :confused:

Can you describe it in greater detail, including where the information comes from, and how it's determined to be "most commonly sought" ?

I agree, or otherwise add a few subsections to store technical/popular stuff, so we can find it easily in the one location ie could be under "special tools", "restorations", "hydraulic repairs" to name a few?

We do have the "Shop Talk" section. Post shop tips, unique repairs, shop projects here. Please post machine specific repairs in the corresponding machine forum. Were you thinking of something very different?

Rocketsled

digger242j- thanks for the reply. Best thing I can do is offer you a great example:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/

That forum has been around for a long time with a lot of "Active" members and is pretty dialed in now. If you click on any Sub Forum you will find a "Sticky Note(Information Found For all too access) AND a Thread Starter(Information Sought)" section on top of the daily posts section. "Sticky Note/Thread Starter" is just a fun nickname for a post that never leaves the top of the forum list. They could be open or closed to posting and are usually controlled (Posted or Removed) only by the Admin..

The information they contain could be anything the Admin and/or Members deem necessary. Few things I could think of right off would be Machine specific:

1. Cross Reference #'s like Case Part # ='s Aftermarket Manufacturer Part #
2. Common problems with particular machines, what to look for, and their solutions.
3. Best Parts Sources new and used.
4. What Oils/Fluids work where
5. Group Buys (a group of members can save $$ by making a bulk order direct from Manufacturer) Belts, Filters, Parts...etc.
6. Schematics IE. Wiring, Hydraulics, etc.
7. Step by Step/How To instructions for common maintenance/repairs. Brakes, Fluid Changes, Fuel Pump Rebuilds, Cylinder Rebuilds... etc..
8. .PDF Files(Really should be #1)

Of course NASIOC is more than just a forum and has many employees to handle their quite large site. Updating, screening, organizing, etc... But I don't think that it would require much more work on your end other then finding out how to keep one or more posts on the top of the list. Even better would be to have the ability to lock them from being from being added to at any point you wish.

For example: Lets say I am going to rebuild the motor in my 1986 Case 580 Super E and while doing so I am going to post a film/pics and document the whole thing on HEAVYEQUIPMENTFORUMS.com. This will create a very long thread of questions and replies containing LOTS of INFO both GOOD and BAD. At some point I will complete the project and the thread will sputter out. At this point it would be nice as the Admin, to lock the thread, discard all posts that aren't directly related to the subject, maybe add a few links related to the subject and post it under
STICKYNOTE: How To ??
You can always unlock it when better/more info comes along that you want to add. Ever Evolving.

I could say more but thats more than enough already.:ban Hahahah... Seems to me it's just a fun and organized way to streamline access to an ever growing source of valuable information. Also, as you know, this wouldn't be such a big deal if the search engine here wasn't so darned frustrating. :Banghead:bash:Banghead:bash

mitch504

I am going to toss in my 2 cents here. (Digger, if you think I shouldn't, email my wife, she'll be happy to slap me for you.)

The biggest problem I see with your idea can probably best be expressed in relation to your example. That is a Subaru Impressa forum, not a cars forum. This is a heavy equipment forum, not a Case 580 Super E forum. For that to be practical, there would have to be a subforum for every model. That would easily run into thousands of subforums. If I wanted to find your thread on how to do an engine rebuild on a 580 SE, I would have to dig through threads on 580s, 580Bs, Cs, Ds, Es, SEs,and on and on, then JDs, Fords, Newhollands, Cats, JCBs, Terexs, Komatsus, Longs, Dynahoes, and a lot more, just in TLBs.

One thing you may not know is that there are no paid staff here.

BTW there are sticky threads here, in several forums.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am going to toss in my 2 cents here. (Digger, if you think I shouldn't, email my wife, she'll be happy to slap me for you.)

The biggest problem I see with your idea can probably best be expressed in relation to your example. That is a Subaru Impressa forum, not a cars forum. This is a heavy equipment forum, not a Case 580 Super E forum. For that to be practical, there would have to be a subforum for every model. That would easily run into thousands of subforums. If I wanted to find your thread on how to do an engine rebuild on a 580 SE, I would have to dig through threads on 580s, 580Bs, Cs, Ds, Es, SEs,and on and on, then JDs, Fords, Newhollands, Cats, JCBs, Terexs, Komatsus, Longs, Dynahoes, and a lot more, just in TLBs.

Mitch, you summed it up very nicely.:thumbsup

It's just not practical, with so many different machines and models we would end up with threads that were several pages of stickys. Can you imagine the sticky threads just for the Bobcat line?:confused:

Oh yeah, we get paid if parking tokens and after dinner mints from Denny's count.:D

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
(Digger, if you think I shouldn't, email my wife, she'll be happy to slap me for you.)

Actually, Mitch, I'm going to email her and tell her you deserve a hug. :thumbsup As CM said, you pretty much covered it.

In a practical sense, we use stickys for information that we think everybody needs to be aware of. In the example of a 580 Super E engine rebuild, while it may be very high quality information, and might be of general interest as background information for anyone with mechanical leanings, it would be of specific interest only to owners of that make and model, and more narrowly, only to the ones needing to rebuild the engine.

That all having been said, thank you, Rocketsled, for the suggestion. Just because we can't implement them all doesn't mean that we're not open to any and all suggestions on how to improve the site. :thumbsup

Rocketsled

Thanks for the .02cents. So, what I am getting is that you aren't getting paid for being admin so you don't really have much incentive to make things better for the members and would rather this forum remain the way it is. A general forum where members can't efficiently search for the answers they need and in turn post the same questions and replies over and over again. And any valuable info just gets lost in the unorganized, hardly searchable pool of posts for every machine made. Gotcha!

What is REALLY more practical?

The way it works now if I want to find info for my TLB.

TLB's> Read every post or use Search Engine that doesn't like three or less letter terms or exact phrases. Hair loss city.

What I am suggesting:

TLB's>Case>580e w/stickies on top for FAQ, How To's etc... ...sure would filter out a lot of unrelated posts that I would otherwise have to wade through... For example someone Posts : "Injection Pump Rebuild" under TLB's. Could be for anything and you would have to read the post to find out if it is what you are looking for. Lots of wasted time. If they post it under 580e chances are it is for a 580e and what you are looking for.

True NASIOC did start as an Impreza model only club but now embraces all Subaru powered vehicles. They brake down the forums by drivetrains and not models. So what if you end up with thousands of Sub-Forums? More the better from where I am standing. Just means more organized info. Don't you want the best heavy equipment forum available? Some of my posts are basic information that I should have been able to find easily under a sticky note but had to search and search the whole web to find even though I now the info is here...somewhere.... With what I am suggesting, at least the information will then be organized and a person would have a good place to start looking for the info they need.

I am not the one who named this Forum the all encompassing "HEAVY EQUIPMENT FORUMS" but I would hope that those who did feel somewhat of a responsibility to organize the information that is accumulated over time into an easily searchable, machine specific database. Again, I know you do not receive any $$ for your Admin duties, but perhaps you should pose the question of why not? HeavyEquipmentForums is definitely one of the largest Tractor forums out there. You should be able to collect $$ through AdSense or allow vendors to Advertise on your site or something. Otherwise, isn't there a way you could let the members do most of the work and you just manage it? I am not being paid write any of this and I would not be investing my time if I did not think it would help a lot of people throughout the world.

Of course no one expects this to happen over night. Just a long term plan to start picking away at. Thanks for understanding that I am only trying to help a great site become the best it can be!:drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
What I am suggesting:

TLB's>Case>580e w/stickies on top for FAQ, How To's etc... ...sure would filter out a lot of unrelated posts that I would otherwise have to wade through... For example someone Posts : "Injection Pump Rebuild" under TLB's. Could be for anything and you would have to read the post to find out if it is what you are looking for. Lots of wasted time. If they post it under 580e chances are it is for a 580e and what you are looking for.

Yeah, but by the same token, that injector pump isn't only installed on your 580 SE, or even only on TLBs, so, no, chances are NOT that it's only for a 580 SE. Now you're into cross references not only for machine types, but individual components.

So what if you end up with thousands of Sub-Forums? More the better from where I am standing.

Otherwise, isn't there a way you could let the members do most of the work and you just manage it?

No. Ain't gonna happen. What you're proposing would be a clerical nightmare. For one thing, you're counting on everybody to initially post their question or answer in the proper forum, otherwise somebody's got to read every post and be sure it's where it belongs. Case in point--this thread. Why is it in TLBs and not "Support"?

Thanks for the .02cents. So, what I am getting is that you aren't getting paid for being admin so you don't really have much incentive to make things better for the members and would rather this forum remain the way it is. A general forum where members can't efficiently search for the answers they need and in turn post the same questions and replies over and over again. And any valuable info just gets lost in the unorganized, hardly searchable pool of posts for every machine made. Gotcha!

Did you intend that comment to be offensive? Because it was.

I, and the rest of the staff, serve this community because it's our pleasure to do so. We all have jobs, and families, and other interests, and if any of us were the type to want a full time clerical position, we probably wouldn't be interested in this forum to begin with.

Again, I know you do not receive any $$ for your Admin duties, but perhaps you should pose the question of why not?

I'll ask Steve for a paycheck the day he asks you to pay for your membership.

I can't deny, your point about the search function is valid. And because I'm always interested in ways to make the forum work better, here's an opportunity to help improve it:

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?31653-Tweaking-the-HEF-quot-search-quot-function-s-performance&p=386507#post386507

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

Did you intend that comment to be offensive? Because it was.

That comment is extremely offensive to me. :mad:

Like Digger said, we have full time jobs and families as well. :cool2

I'll ask Steve for a paycheck the day he asks you to pay for your membership.

Ditto, I don't expect payment - it's an HONOR to be a Mod for this online community.

Rocketsled

....you aren't getting paid for being admin so you don't really have much incentive to make things better for the members and would rather this forum remain the way it is. A general forum where members can't efficiently search for the answers they need and in turn post the same questions and replies over and over again. And any valuable info just gets lost in the unorganized, hardly searchable pool of posts for every machine made. :confused:

Is that better? Just a true statement with no offense intended guys. I am the type to see a need and find a way to do it. Not try to find excuses why not too.

As the Post title suggests, this thread is here because I was looking for a place to post info which I know is commonly sought by TLB owners.

digger242j, thanks for the link to your "add words to search engine list" post under the support forum. Don't think I would have ever found it otherwise... and don't think most ever will. To be truly affective, shouldn't that be a Sticky Note/Thread Starter on the home page? And, if I understand correctly, are you not asking members for a list of common search terms to add to the search engine, which in turn you will have to "write in" each one individually. How many thousands of terms will that end up being? Hahah...trick question...none 'cause nobody will ever see the your post 'cept the admin.

Thanks for trying guys, guess we'll just have to make do with what we got!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Is that better?

Uh, no, not really. Not at all. Especially since I've been responsive to your concerns.

We've been doing this for 9 years now, and this is the first time anything like this has been suggested, so besides yourself, apparently nobody has found the current system that awful.

...thanks for the link to your "add words to search engine list" post under the support forum. Don't think I would have ever found it otherwise... and don't think most ever will. To be truly affective, shouldn't that be a Sticky Note/Thread Starter on the home page?

Well, anyone who's been following this extemely interesting thread will see the link. And anyone who browses the forums using the "new posts" feature will see that thread every time somebody adds something to it, and bumps it up.

I notice you didn't bother adding any terms that might help out yourself, or anybody else.

And, if I understand correctly, are you not asking members for a list of common search terms to add to the search engine, which in turn you will have to "write in" each one individually.

Yep. One time each.

How many thousands of terms will that end up being?

I don't know. :beatsme

Boy, pretty stupid of me, a guy who doesn't "really have much incentive to make things better for the members and would rather this forum remain the way it is" to volunteer to potentially enter thousands of terms into the control panel. What was I thinking?? :Banghead

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Boy, pretty stupid of me, a guy who doesn't "really have much incentive to make things better for the members and would rather this forum remain the way it is" to volunteer to potentially enter thousands of terms into the control panel. What was I thinking?? :Banghead

:rolleyes:

What were you thinking Digger?? I agree we're dumbasses, I can't believe how stupid I am for spending the last 4 years being a lazy Mod, without any incentive to make HEF a better place.:rolleyes:

:cool:

:cool2

Rocketsled

Hahah...you guys are awesome! Now let me just say that I do really appreciate this forum and all the time you have invested thus far. None of us are stupid or dumb. Sometimes it just takes an jerky like me to shake things up and get your blood pumping.
No worries digger242j, I am compiling a list of terms as we speak...I am up to 328 words:D
I did however post a link to the Google Custom Search Engine, including Adsense. Would give you powerful, user friendly search engine and the ability to collect a small fee every time a member clicks on an advertisers link.

Thanks again for this Forum and all the Moderators time/efforts to making in better. :notworthy
Now go enjoy your families on this beautiful Sunday!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Thanks.

BTW, if you "log out", and then come back to the forums, you'll appreciate the fact that we do have Google ads running. Members, when logged in, have the privilege of not having to look at them...

JDOFMEMI

Wow. I can hardly imagine how long the "sticky" list would get if there was one started for every machine. It may work fine for a car forum, but look at how many makes and models of equipment there are. Even if it was just a Cat forum, there would be thousands, then add in all the other makes, and you would have a nightmare on your hands.

I think the site is layed out nicely, and the leadership has responded to adding different machine and industry subforums as requested from time to time. If the search function is improved just a bit to pick up on common industry acronyms and such it would be better.

I always just use the new posts function, and sort through what I wish to read and comment on. Then again, if I have a specific question, I just post it in the right catagory, and have not had any trouble with that.

Thanks to all the mods for a well ran site.