• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where on a Case 580SE can you attach chain to pull things?

syndy

Occupation
Retired
I am not near my backhoe, (can only look at photos) to see a good spot to attach chains to pull or drag anything. I know it was not intended to do that but I need to drag a home made cultivator of sorts to smooth out about 4000sqft so I can pour a concrete slab. The drag cultivator (ripper) weighs about 600lbs and has one inch bolts sticking out. I originally thought the stabilizers were a good place but after looking at photos I'm not so sure. Also thought about dragging backwards and hooking to the loader bucket. Anyone done this Here's what it looks like. 9244232230_0cbed5668d_z.jpg

Russelln

Occupation
Electronics Engineer & Cal Fire Air Tanker Pilot
I got to admire what you have done there.. So let me share my thoughts with you since I been down this road before. I too have a Case 580SE and you might be able to get away with looping that thing around the backhoe bucket and driving forward with it, if you have the extendahoe, that might help get the chain closer to the ground to keep the front end from coming up.

But I have Orchard Farm tractors, a D8 2U Cat Dozer, #12 Cat Grader and a few others in my arsenal and found that the best way to level out, smooth out, bust up dirt clods and take out weeds and over grown grass all at the same time is to get or make a section of 12 ft. by 10 ft. heavy duty Cyclone fencing and drag that around, even behind a 4x4 pickup works perfect, And if you need added weight, add some bricks to the front and back of it.

It will look as pretty as doing the work with a high dollar orchard float.

I see you got one of those Ratchet Rakes also, I have 72” one for my 580 for when I need to push brush, Other than that is no good in my soil..

bowen

Occupation
Electrical Panel Builder
I am not near my backhoe, (can only look at photos) to see a good spot to attach chains to pull or drag anything.

Go to Coleman
http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-580-Super-E-580SE-Loader-Backhoes-Parts/#category45

Order you at least two of the chain hooks that are made to weld on.
I do not have mine installed yet but I ordered some 5/16" and 3/8" hooks. (1/2" is huge chain)
I wanted some for 1/4" chain but they do not have these. I often drag lightweight stuff around.
I am going to have them welded on each side of the loader bucket, plus one more in the center someplace.
It's better if a chain does not touch the front edge when lifting as this will pop a chain.

Unloading/loading stuff like a bush hog, or some farm implement is something I need to do all the time.

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Russelln, I'm not happy to hear the Ratchet Rake does little good as I planned on using it to do the basic leveling after back dragging with the bucket. Part of our problem is rain and the clay in the soil. (Seems like every time we go to work in NC heavy rain follows us there). My plan is this, (Not so sure it will work) Finish moving dirt and level it best I can back dragging with the bucket. Use the Ratchet Rake to bust up clods and expose rocks. We will have to remove most rocks by hand putting them in a dump cart on my wife's garden tractor. Then just start dragging the concrete ripper around on a long chain to expose smaller rocks and level it more. I can also flip it over and drag it without the spikes. In my head, once we get to that point we can use the chain link fence idea, dragging it with the garden tractor.

Pulling on the hoe bucket scares me a bit as the flap on the boom over ride system could break, that would be a disaster not to be able to lock it. Here is where I had hoped to attach it, one on each side. 9245732381_28e2fb9d70_z.jpg

I'd like to hear more about your experience using the Ratchet Rake. bowen, unfortunately I am in the Boonies and have no way to do welding. The cost to bring someone out would be to high. It would be the best solution. BTW, I had planned to buy a trenching bucket but have now decided to rent a mini trackhoe for the footings. It has a small blade on it but I'm not to sure of how powerful it would be to smooth out that clay. Here is a photo of where we left off in May. We will be working on it for six weeks this fall and hope to pour the slab. 9081049694_049a09b6fc_z.jpg

mudober

Occupation
heavy equiptment operator
I think that will be fine one on each side.

syndy

Occupation
Retired
I found some tow straps that will handle the pull. I'll put them around the forward side of the bracket and loop it inside otherwise they might slip to the outside of the stabilizer. I can't recall how much room is in there but a chain might bind up if I forgot and moved the stabilizer. Thanks for the tip.