• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which excavators are made by the same people??

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
I worked for International Harvester in the early 70's as a field machanic for a time, I did power shift trans. Anyway IH was letting Komatsu use some of there patents. Then about 30 years later I saw a Komatsu that was real close to a IH Hough 65 I looked and checked it out the engine even looked like a 466. And yes Deer did copy some of the crawler loaded arm and linkage design from the IH 100 125 175 and 250,s. No one has mentioned HOUGH. Hough was bought by IH and Hough was a pioneer in the rubber tire loaders. and this is were you get the bucket linkage on the modern loaders with the cylinder in the middle, can't think of that special name of the linkage, sorry.
Z Bar Linkage ?.

Hyundai

Re Track Chains

DEar All

After some help from AtlasRob many thnaks I now have the chain reference for my Hyundai lc130-3 The chain has a D then a larger gap and then the following X6R05 .
I am trying to source a second hand set for my Farm machine as spending £3K on a new set is about 50% of the vlaue of the machine.

Any help re what other machines have these chains would be appreciated

Thanks
James

laketreefarm

Occupation
Owner
Terex has merged ASV and Schaeff product lines to cpmpete in the compact equipment market. All Terex/ASV dealers will handle Terex branded Schaeff loaders and excavators. Schaeff previously built New Holland excavators til Kobelco and New Holland branded each others equipment.

drag1line

Sadly CNH has closed down O&K construction. This mining division was bought by Terex and word is that Cat is working with them on some "projects".

MR. KOBELCO

Resigned
Occupation
PARTS & SERVICE MGR. AMOUNG OTHER HATS @ KOBELCO D
RE: CNH -> CASE, NEW HOLLAND
BASICALLY, WITHOUT GETTING INTO TOO MUCH DETAIL;
THE FIRST NEW HOLLANDS OUT WERE SUMITOMO's.
NEW HOLLAND WAS LOOKING FOR A BETTER EXCAVATOR AND CNH BOUGHT INTO KOBELCO NORTH AMERICA IN ORDER TO GET IT. VERY RECENT OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. THUS BECOMING CASE, NEW HOLLAND, KOBELCO,...
THE END RESULT IS THAT KOBELCO NOW MAKES THE EXCAVATORS FOR BOTH CASE AND NEW HOLLAND.
OTHER THAN THE PAINT AND DECALS & STARTING UP IN A DIFFERENT MODE IT IS A KOBELCO.
CASE MINI EXC (COMPACTS) ARE MADE BY KOBELCO.
THE NEW HOLLANDS' FROM THE MINI EXC, SR UP TO 135SR UP TO THE 20 TON SIZE, EH215 ARE MADE BY KOBELCO TOO.
WHILE KOBELCO STILL CONTINUES TO MAKE AND SUPPORT THE FULL EXCAVATOR LINE
THRU ITS MANY KOBELCO DEALERSHIPS CARRYING THE 17SR ALL THE WAY UP TO THE LATEST LARGEST BUILT TO DATE THE SK850LC-8.

LINK-BELT IS SUMITOMO.

HITACHI MAKES THE JOHN DEERE MINUS THE DIFFERENCE OF THE ENGINE.
JOHN DEERE PUT IN ITS OWN ENGINE.
IF YOU NEED JD PARTS MANY OF THE PARTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE ACROSS BOTH HITCHI AND DEERE. THE END USER CAN GET QUOTES NOW FROM THE LIKES OF WAJAX.

MITSUBISHI EXC ~ CAT

SAMSUNG IS NOW LABELLED AS VOLVO

OUR FAMOUS MDI/YUTANI WAS BASICALLY RELABELLED WHEN IT BECAME KOBELCO

CHECK US OUT @ http://www.robertgreenequipment.com

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
NEW HOLLAND WAS LOOKING FOR A BETTER EXCAVATOR AND CNH BOUGHT INTO KOBELCO NORTH AMERICA IN ORDER TO GET IT. VERY RECENT OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. THUS BECOMING CASE, NEW HOLLAND, KOBELCO,...
THE END RESULT IS THAT KOBELCO NOW MAKES THE EXCAVATORS FOR BOTH CASE AND NEW HOLLAND.
OTHER THAN THE PAINT AND DECALS & STARTING UP IN A DIFFERENT MODE IT IS A KOBELCO.
THE NEW HOLLANDS' FROM THE MINI EXC, SR UP TO 135SR UP TO THE 20 TON SIZE, EH215 ARE MADE BY KOBELCO TOO.
THRU ITS MANY KOBELCO DEALERSHIPS CARRYING THE 17SR ALL THE WAY UP TO THE LATEST LARGEST BUILT TO DATE THE SK850LC-8.

LINK-BELT IS SUMITOMO.

HITACHI MAKES THE JOHN DEERE MINUS THE DIFFERENCE OF THE ENGINE.
JOHN DEERE PUT IN ITS OWN ENGINE.
IF YOU NEED JD PARTS MANY OF THE PARTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE ACROSS BOTH HITCHI AND DEERE. THE END USER CAN GET QUOTES NOW FROM THE LIKES OF WAJAX.

MITSUBISHI EXC ~ CAT

SAMSUNG IS NOW LABELLED AS VOLVO

Actually JD and Hitachi no longer have different engines. Most if not all the Deere hoes have lost the Deere engine option.

And dispite what everybody tells you...... CAPS LOCK is not cruise control for the awesome.

drag1line

Sir,
Not to stir you up...but you have the facts WRONG.
New Holland was never Sumitomo. The EC series was made by O&K, which, like NH, is owned by Fiat. O&K Now shut down for the construction machinery.
Case Excavators above the mini's, have NEVER been Kobelco. Currently they are Sumitomo,,before that. Case, Poclain, Drott, and probably a few more. Today, they are owned by Fiat.
Kobelco does make the Case mini's,
Kobelco does or did, make the excavators for .........KAWASAKI.....in Japan
MDI/Yutani...was ALWAYS made by Kobelco. It was an OEM arrangement, marketed simultaineously with Kobelco Brand, in only North America. This was similar to Link Belt and Case today or Hitachi and John Deere today.
Today, all NH brands in NA are made by Kobelco. In the EU NH is also Kobelco built under liscense in Italy. Not sure about the 80 ton NH. At one time it too was a Sumitomo, but probably Kobelco now.
At one time, there was one model of Case excavator in ONLY South America factory of CNH that actually was a Kobelco. Not sure today situation.

Last edited:

oversize

Occupation
low loader driver
All i can tell is that my Kobelco key will open and start a case 30 ton machine and my sumitomo key will not open or start a 12 months old Volvo machine, I do know that dawoo machine's are the same as a doosoon, And i think hyunda machines are kato's

drag1line

Volvo came from Samsung. Note sure of key situation today.
Doosan company bought Daewoo. Note, this is Daewoo's or Doosan's second try to come to the USA. They pulled out for no support in the late 1980's.
Hyundai came from a license agreement with Kobelco via Mitsubishi Corporation..Confused?
Been in this business wayyyy TOO LONG!

Burnout

Occupation
Sir,
Not to stir you up...but you have the facts WRONG.
New Holland was never Sumitomo. The EC series was made by O&K, which, like NH, is owned by Fiat. O&K Now shut down for the construction machinery.
Case Excavators above the mini's, have NEVER been Kobelco. Currently they are Sumitomo,,before that. Case, Poclain, Drott, and probably a few more. Today, they are owned by Fiat.
Kobelco does make the Case mini's,
Kobelco does or did, make the excavators for .........KAWASAKI.....in Japan
MDI/Yutani...was ALWAYS made by Kobelco. It was an OEM arrangement, marketed simultaineously with Kobelco Brand, in only North America. This was similar to Link Belt and Case today or Hitachi and John Deere today.
Today, all NH brands in NA are made by Kobelco. In the EU NH is also Kobelco built under liscense in Italy. Not sure about the 80 ton NH. At one time it too was a Sumitomo, but probably Kobelco now.
At one time, there was one model of Case excavator in ONLY South America factory of CNH that actually was a Kobelco. Not sure today situation.

You sir seem to have the Kobelco/Sumitomo brand meorized. Can you help me with something then?...lol

My grandfather has an old John Deere #7 Mini Ex. I am pretty sure they were manufactured by Yanmar back in the day. Are the new ones still built by Yanmar? The company I work for has a ton of em but I can never remember to look at the plates. And were the earlier model 35C's built by Kobelco? I remember checking one out at rb and it has a Kobelco tag on it. I thought that seemed weird I figured it would have been either Yanmar or a Hitachi if their into the small hoes like that. Any help would be appareciated.

drag1line

Burn Out
LOVE your avitar..have three jeeps and know the pain!!!!
To my fading memory, I do not know of Kobelco every producing Mini's for Hitachi or Deere. I would GUESS the mini's are Hitachi.
THere is or was a tie in with Furukawa and Deere on wheel Loaders.
Just to add to the confusion, early Kobelco mini's were built by Takeuchi, then a wholy owned subsidiary of Kobe steel...Mind not up to that name. They also made transmissions for loaders, then Kobelco took over complete design and manufacturing around 10 years ago. Same engineering group as the large machines.

farm_boy

Actually JD and Hitachi no longer have different engines. Most if not all the Deere hoes have lost the Deere engine option.

Burnout...I'll give you a pass on this one b/c you know the 450 - 850 pretty well....but the 120 - 350 do in fact have Deere engines and Deere cooling packages. This excludes the 135, 225 and wheeled models.

coopers

Burnout...I'll give you a pass on this one b/c you know the 450 - 850 pretty well....but the 120 - 350 do in fact have Deere engines and Deere cooling packages. This excludes the 135, 225 and wheeled models.

So the 135 does not have a Deere engine? The 120's and 160's...does this apply to the C models too and not just the D's?

farm_boy

So the 135 does not have a Deere engine? The 120's and 160's...does this apply to the C models too and not just the D's?

Nope....the reduced tail swing machines are built in Japan like the 450D-850D. All of these machines have an Isuzu engine.

C models as well. The conventional machines have Deere engines, 120 and up to the 350 in the D-series. The 450CLC had a Deere 12.5, but the D-series went to an Isuzu 15.7L.

Last edited:

Burnout

Occupation

This is true.... little hoes get little John Deere engines.

As for Drag1line.... yeah it's different when you own a Jeep. I just managed to talk the girlfriend unit into letting me buy a brand new set of 36" BFG M/T's because my M/TR's suck in the snow.

drag1line

Burn out.
How true. Small Deer's.... Little Engines. Wonder if same Isuzu as in the Chevy Pick Up?

However in YOUR case, big tires..you need a stroker! Got one!!
You got the tires for her safety!!!!!! Yeah!!!!.....

We digress. Any one want to start topic "who makes what engine for what machine???" This topic has become a monster!...No, did not keep notes.

Farm Boy..where do the Wheeled models come from???

Burnout

Occupation
Burn out.
How true. Small Deer's.... Little Engines. Wonder if same Isuzu as in the Chevy Pick Up?

However in YOUR case, big tires..you need a stroker! Got one!!
You got the tires for her safety!!!!!! Yeah!!!!.....

We digress. Any one want to start topic "who makes what engine for what machine???" This topic has become a monster!...No, did not keep notes.

Farm Boy..where do the Wheeled models come from???

I'm already lookin for a stroker. 35's with 4.10's and playing in the mountains suuuuuuucks. I have a set of 4.88's sitting in boxes here just waiting to throw em in.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I do know that dawoo machine's are the same as a doosoon, And i think hyunda machines are kato's

Doosan=Daewoo. True. And on that note, I don't think that Daewoo is around anymore. ?
Hyundai=Kato. False.

Hyundai, as far as I know, is Hyundai, with some bought out Halla technology. Bell, a South African brand, definately uses Kato excavators. In fact, the Bell machines are sold with the Kato badge still on them, with some Bell paint of course. Bell HD820E iii= Kato HD820E iii. There seems to be some general confusion about this, but the two machines, Hyundai and Kato look nothing alike, seen the cabs of both, and they are completely different, and they just don't look like one another. Kato uses Mitsubishi engines, Hyundai's, Cummins i think.