• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which excavators have the smoothest/most responsive controls?

soapstoneguy

Curious what everyone things with the newer machines and which ones have the smoothest and more responsive controls? Heard a lot of guys rave about CAT and kubota saying they are the best. Have ran a new 2022 sany and the controls were actually pretty nice, didn't bother me one bit.

What does everyone think and what do you guys think of Sany excavators...up to 8 ton models?

Cheers!

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
I've played a bit with Deere/Hitachi, Cat and Case/Link Belt. Honestly I think Case and Link Belt are the smoothest, followed by Deere/Hitachi.
To this day my superintendent would tell you that a Deere 690E was the finest excavator he ever ran for speed feel and power wrapped up into one machine. He must have laid miles of sewer and water with one and he said that for feel when around utilities you could not beat them.

Today we’re nearly all Komatsu and the 210’s we have are pretty close he says but maybe a notch down on the ranks.

I really liked our 350G we had until the hydraulics took a dump and the dealer threw their hands up when they couldn’t diagnose the issue. It was a much more stable and “stronger” digging excavator than our 360’s or 390. It just felt more solid than the others. Cannot say why, just how it felt in the seat.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Curious what everyone things with the newer machines and which ones have the smoothest and more responsive controls? Heard a lot of guys rave about CAT and kubota saying they are the best. Have ran a new 2022 sany and the controls were actually pretty nice, didn't bother me one bit.

What does everyone think and what do you guys think of Sany excavators...up to 8 ton models?

Cheers!
We have 7 Sany excavators. 16,35,50, 2-75's, 135,215.
No issues any more than other emissions units. getting warrantry parts from Sany, not the dealer, is a pain in the ass.
We bought from a washington dealer long before the canby dealer showed up.
All I can say is on DEF machines, keep that tank FULL

soapstoneguy

Oh we had a mahindra tractor that required def and I'm just glad I don't smoke and don't smoke near gas cans even though it crossed my mind. That POS looked great but the emissions were a NIGHTMARE!
I'm guessing you haven't had any issues with the 16,35 and 50 since they are not DEF?

soapstoneguy

We have 7 Sany excavators. 16,35,50, 2-75's, 135,215.
No issues any more than other emissions units. getting warrantry parts from Sany, not the dealer, is a pain in the ass.
We bought from a washington dealer long before the canby dealer showed up.
All I can say is on DEF machines, keep that tank FULL
I talked to a few guys who purchased from the canby guys and say they have been great to work with. Not that they have had issues with their machines but they got one guy some tracks replaced under warranty. How do you like the controls on the Sany machines vs say cat or deere or kubota?

skyking1

I've operated many different machines over the decades, and what I notice is not so much how the controls work, as to how well the machine is balanced.
The 120 I use now is a classic example. It is the first series and is functional and I can get a lot of work out of it, but it is not as well balanced as the 120C series.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've operated many different machines over the decades, and what I notice is not so much how the controls work, as to how well the machine is balanced.
The 120 I use now is a classic example. It is the first series and is functional and I can get a lot of work out of it, but it is not as well balanced as the 120C series.
Very valid point. Hard to be precise when the whole machine is bouncing around on you. I've really noticed that with the mini excavators, even with the blade down they feel really unstable compared to a larger machine.

Also bear in mind I don't consider myself an operator by any means.

skyking1

with the blade equipped machines, it is about how they are with blade up. They are all good with the blade down digging over the blade, but that is not how we always get to work. Our 35G is good, better than the similar cat or case I have also operated.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Isn't the bladed issue more to do with the fact that blade equipped machines are usually zero tail swing? Are you really going to get a zero tail machine to dig as well as a conventional when you aren't over the blade? My experience with zero tails is limited mostly to what I own, so maybe I am missing something, but I was generally under the impression that a zero tail machine was trading digging stability for maneuverability?

skyking1

It's not so simple. There are really big zero and short tail machines now, some are definitely better than others. The first short butt 200's had big bunny feet for tracks to make up for lack of Arses
This one hangs over the side a bit, but not over the back of the tracks.
Big bunny feet.
img.axd

325 with the thumper tracks
wtk

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I don't think there is a black and white answer. We have a 308. No one here likes it. They call it the jerk. Another company has the identical machine. Same year. Only difference is theirs has the cab operated bucket disconnect, ours is manual. We have rented their machine before, and it is a pleasure to run. We have 2 identical 350 Linkbelts, they are not the same at all.