• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which grader

mxsledder

Our company is getting a used grader,about 1-4 years old just wondering what the overall preferance in graders are? We are looking at the 140h cat,672d deere, 655 komatsu,and the g940 volvo.Any opinions or experiances would be appreciated.

Grader4me

Really, if you are getting a grader that is only a few years old anyone of those models would probably do the trick. The newer graders are all very nice, and the newer they are the more bells & whistles they have. It would most likely depend on what your company is willing to pay for a grader, as I would expect that a Cat would be the most expensive, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Check out the posts in the motor grader section here, and you will find some opinions from the guys about their favorite grader.

Geno795

mxsledder,
What are you doing with the grader? Fine grading, rough grading, soft ground, firm ground, all of the above - like most people?
Get 6WD if you can. Just like 4WD in a pickup truck, it makes all the difference in the world for most applications. If you dont believe it, get a big blade load and turn the front wheels off and see what happens. My guess is that within 5-10 yrs 99% of all graders will have All Wheel Drive. These are just my honest views. Thanks

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
6wheel drive

I just started running a grader whith 6 wheel drive ( 772 John Deere) and I tell you it makes a difference, in what you can push, it helps me go a few more places on the job site ( and a few I shouldnt). In tight cornes it helps pull you around with a good load on the blade. not saying that it is essantial, but it nice to use, and you can turn it off. the big disadvantage I have found is the fuel. I burn a lot more in a day with it on all the time. I doubt I could do a full solid 12 hours with it. I havent tried Cats system yet. I know Deere gives you 15 or 16 different settings to select from going from non aggressive to very aggressive (top setting the front wheels want to spin out from under you. #8 is supposed to be the same as the back wheels)
Last year I had a new 160h without 6wd, and I would still take it over the 772 Deere. I find it to be a little nicer to run. Cab comfort, easy of maintainance, fuel economy.
Thats my opinion,