• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WHO operated one of these?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Who operated one of these ? PICT0101.jpg

nedly05

I never ran it but the town where I live had one for years, its an old JCB, probably has a side shift boom on it.It is ugly!

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
A bloke here had one, in fact I think he might still have it. He used to use it for digging trenches for plumbing work and pits for septic tanks and soakages.

Rn'R.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
What is a soakage?

Thanks,
Eddie

Here, where houses are not connected to common effluent systems, rural properties, etc., the effluent is piped into an underground septic tank, usually a concrete tank with a partition in it and then the overflow is piped in to a soakage pit. The size of the pit depends on the amount of people living in the dwelling and the ability of the soil to soak up the water, which is determined through soil tests. Inverted troughing is laid along the floor of the pit, covered with about a metre (3ft) of 50mm soakage rock, then it is covered with geotextile, filled with soil and levelled off. As the water drains through the rock, bacteria helps to break everything down, if the system is working properly. These days with the shortage of water people are installing Envirocycles which use a series of pumps to aerate and treat the water so that it can be recycled on to the garden. I hope that answers your question Eddie, and here a couple of pics that might explain it a bit better.
And not to totally hijack Stock's thread, the tank was installed, using a later model JCB 4CX.

Rn'R.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 3,030
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 3,021
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 3,033

surfer-joe

JCB. Junk Coming from Britain. In 1974 a dealership I was working for in Florida made a huge mistake by deciding to take on these mechanical disasters. We initially brought in two machines for demonstrations, equipped with the sideshifts and all just like in the picture. We sent one mechanic in for factory training on repair and maintenance, then had to send two more when the first fella refused to work on the beasts anymore. The latter two soon quit and we parked the machines in the back of our Fort Lauderdale yard where no one could see them. Bamford himself visited us soon after the two units first arrived and remarked that his machines would take America by storm. Both machines we had were beset by problems large and small, mostly hydraulic in nature. They were underpowered for the American market and slow.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well, my dad got one still going strong. His has a telescoping stick.(and good paint)
He's got a snowremoving bucket for it too.(his main use is/was snowremoval)
And has made a complete new excavating bucket for it.

I've spent some time in it...

It got its strong and weak sides.
2wd on a machine like that is just not a good choise in sand.
Excavator is so trong u pull the machine when its rised on the outriggers and the bucket.
My dads bucket is around 400l and huge compared to the old one.
Handles it like nothing.
Bad brakes though, theyre to smal for the weight of the unit.
And his has a big concrete slab on the front bucket, to keep the front wheels down..

OneWelder

I had one of about that vintage,but not that exact model . I bought it and a 955 from the bank -sold it as it as quick as I could. I never quite got used to it - it always seemed awkward to run.
Mine had a perkins motor- and when I got it everything to do with the hoe leaked, elec. sys. was not much better. Was not bad on fuel- but a real pain to refuel
Once I went through and fixed all initially problems it ran trouble free well past the time I sold it - also it had an easy life

stock

Occupation
i have

well where do i start what was goo d about it? it had a cab and the wheels went around ,it would dig as good as an excavator (of that era) that about it.Also it had bad steering ,bad brakes , it was faster to load a truck with the digger than the front bucket ,it was based on a fordson major skid unit so was under powered too heavy so when taken off sealed ground it got stuck ,the cab was large and spaceious so it was nearly impossible to see out of it , I is a JCB 3 of the sixty vintage ,Havent seen one for a while so when I crossed on this one in reasonable good condition (she still runs and works so the owner assured me )it brought back all the memories
ps the side shift had to be moved manually open the four bolts set it up lock it up again and keep tightening them uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh

stock

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Its a JCB 3C made in 1964 ..it was at the time state of the art, based on a fordson major skid steer unit, it had what you call a side shift king post, and yes you had to undo 4 large bolts to shift the king post across the frame ..it had a digging depth of nearly 14 ft, but it was the first of the "3C" range that sold in their thousands in the UK and Europe, but it was what most of us old ones started our working life on .. its bigger brother was perhaps more to the American market..the JCB 4C, the bottom picture is the old 3C taken from the rear of the machine

Attachments

• JCB 4C 001.jpg
    JCB 4C 001.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 3,687
  • aaa 150.jpg
    aaa 150.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,257

OneWelder

It was long time ago when I had one -but it had a door on the left and sliding window on right, cab was white if that makes any difference.- I had thought it was a 3c but like i said - long time ago
and your right visibility was poor
I think hoe was a little bigger also

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Ahhh you mean a 1974 onwards 3C mk2 or 3D mk2 ..like these two

Attachments

• 52bf.jpg
    52bf.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5,563
  • a0e1.jpg
    a0e1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,787

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Looking at your pics, i see that my dads is a 3D mk2 with a extending dipper.
Shifting it sideways is a lever in the cab that losens the bolts.(hydraulic tension)
Then u use the arm and slide it sideways.

I have problems understanding how they can be driven without yhe concrete slab on the frontbucket..
There is nearly zero weight on the front wheels..

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
I have problems understanding how they can be driven without yhe concrete slab on the frontbucket..
There is nearly zero weight on the front wheels..

For sure the weight was at the rear of the machine, but was not a problem on site, traveling on the road was simple, all the spare digging buckets were placed in the bucket, and a 45 gallon drum of diesel, but it still bounced along though .. but you got used to it :)

Martyn.

d4c24a

For sure the weight was at the rear of the machine, but was not a problem on site, traveling on the road was simple, all the spare digging buckets were placed in the bucket, and a 45 gallon drum of diesel, but it still bounced along though .. but you got used to it :)

Martyn.

when knocked out of cog on a good downhill runs things could get a bit scary :D

Last edited by a moderator:

stock

Occupation

Martyn.

dam must be gettin old forgot about the road trips down the winding lanes of old eire 30 years ago the buckets and yes the diesel in the barrel in the bucket and the whole constant semi rotation of the steering and of course the whole lack of brakes scept for lowering the front bucket in front of on comming traffic , hilarious , over a beer I tell you about a rescue of bmw one feburary nite and of course the peelers input

stock

ps keep an eye onthe excavator thread found something from the same stable that will tell the boys from the granpas

Last edited: