• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WHO operated one of these?

Mogcrazy

Equipment repair

Hey Torker,
How did you get into the repairing equipment biz? I am a certified welder here in Oregon and we mostly build stuff for commercial buildings (new construction and remodels), but I'm very interested in doing some hard facing work and repairs, what would you suggest to get started? I work for myself and have a couple employees, so I'm not really interested in going to work for someone else to learn how to do this if it really takes that much skill to do.

Thanks for the info

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Wow Modelmaker, hope there are no telephone lines or bridge's under 15 feet in height near that tower of a digger!

torker

Occupation
Welding/fab/machine shop owner
Hey Torker,
How did you get into the repairing equipment biz? I am a certified welder here in Oregon and we mostly build stuff for commercial buildings (new construction and remodels), but I'm very interested in doing some hard facing work and repairs, what would you suggest to get started? I work for myself and have a couple employees, so I'm not really interested in going to work for someone else to learn how to do this if it really takes that much skill to do.

Thanks for the info
How I got into the equipment repair...Long story. Short version.. I started working for a small outfit when I was 16....as an operator.
The owner pointed to the old portable..."There's the welder..I think there might be some rods kickin around somewhere. Weld the hinge back on the tailgate of the Ford dumptruck"
He couldn't weld so I was expected to learn.
Operated for 5 years or so then became really interested in welding. The rest is history. I've operated a lot over the years (mostly cats) but I now own a fab/machine shop. I sorta specialize in bucket repairs and reshaping...a lot of Gradall's right on up to 980 Cat stuff.
Lots of guys need buckets repaired. Lots of guys need to be talked into trying hardfacing on their stuff.
I was you.. I'd just put word out to some owner/operators that you can do hardfacing for them...the rest will follow.
Hope you're up on your stick welding...lotta portable work.
Not all of it is nice work tho...lots of crappy old welds to gouge out...lots of grease and grime to deal with.
Some of it's very interesting also. Crack repairs on booms using ceramic backing strips etc. Working with T100 to T425 alloys etc using 11018.
Don't weld on NOTHING anymore without disconnecting the batteries. Some machines have computers worth $10,000.
PM me if you have anymore questions.
Russ

torker

Occupation
Welding/fab/machine shop owner
Here's a bit of the bucket reshaping I do. 1" thick T425 bent to shape on a 100 ton press. Good thing to learn in this trade..
DSC00002-64.jpg

DSC00003-40.jpg

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Modelmaker, why i do declare y'all that that JCB with the Hydra/digger was built not for construction purposes, but demolition purposes. That thing could tear down any bridge it drove under faster than TNT. :D:D:rolleyes:

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Wow Modelmaker, hope there are no telephone lines or bridge's under 15 feet in height near that tower of a digger!

Its newer bigger brother was slighty taller at nearly 19ft in traveling position
.. was great for doing wheelies :)

Martyn

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Got any pictures???

Sorry for the late reply, this thread has sure grown in a couple of days :D

O! no sorry. Well yes there is a picture somewhere of me on it but heavens knows where ;) suspect mum might have it filed away as it has her little tin soldier on it :rolleyes:

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
Thought i would round this off by showing the complete JCB range in 1964..
from left to right,
JCB 1, JCB 2, JCB 3, JCB 3C, and finally the JCB 4C

Attachments

• jcbrange64 001.jpg
    jcbrange64 001.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 671

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Dad used to operate one of those old MF I think a 30 that you rode the boom. He said he really liked it beacause you always were watching where you were working without having to turn your head. Made it easy to learn on an excavator. I think he was 16 hes now 64. I just bought an ARPS 3 point attachment backhoe that fit a 90 hp tractor. Its got a 20 foot reach and a seat that follows the boom. I may mount it on the fron of an old cotton picker to make a a stand by backhoe when my Mini ex and my Ford are out of pocket. Theres a man here that for years had a 40 MF boom on the back of an old truck for doing city water work and just built another.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Looks like the JCB 4C was the only one in that group with traditional outriggers. What was the idea about those straight horizonal then straight verticle ones?

modelmaker

Occupation
Director
What was the idea about those straight horizonal then straight verticle ones?

Do you mean the rear frame rails ?
That was for the kingpost to slide along, so you could slide the kingpost to any position along the rail.. ideal for working along side walls and obstructions ..and at each end is the jack legs.

Attachments

• jcb3d1.jpg
    jcb3d1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 564

kostas

The 1974 3c series was the first backhoe i operated on my granfathers olive farm.i was great for the fields planting new trees or carting goat manower to each of the trees,but when it came to going down hill. . i was always scared for my life. . hahaha. . having the gear box between your legs grinding,bad visability and no brakes the high temp reading also didnt help. . if it was any other make it would of dug its own grave long ago. . . still the 4 in one bucket had the strongest bit in its class!!!so it must have character when a whole country gave the machine the nickname "gourouna"wich means "The Pig"in Greek"

andystreetuk

we had one of those, a 3C mk 2, great machine, drove like a tank, until one of the front wheels fell off.