• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why haven't you purchased an ORV yet?

danHMBA

Hi all,

My name is Dan. I am am MBA student at Carlson School of Business at the University of Minnesota. I am working on a project regarding the ORV market. We are trying to figure out key barriers to people interested in ORVs but have not yet purchased. If you would like to give input, please take my survey!

Otherwise, please post a response to this forum as well as I would love to hear some of the thoughts from the farming/ranching community first hand. Thanks!

Dan

https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8udwRrSBQwZXiM5

Plebeian

Assuming ORV means 'off road vehicle' rather than 'offroad recreational vehicle' ?

danHMBA

Thank you for your response. I guess I would like to know more of your thoughts on the difference between recreational vs. utility and how you may use (if you do not currently own one). We are defining ORV as a non-car off road vehicle such as UTVs, ATVs and 4-Wheelers used for both work and tech. I am interested in understanding the barriers of those considering an ORV purchase but have not yet purchased one. Some of our research indicates people can remain in the "consideration phase" for an ORV for several years...

Any thoughts?

Also, if anyone else has any thoughts I would love to hear it. If you haven't taken my survey posted above, please do so! Another link is posted here: Thanks,

https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eg5zlPHQfjLLkCp

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, Dan.

While we're always happy to help the academic community when it come to questions about our profession, we also always discourage cross-posting of the same stuff in multiple locations here. It's considered poor netiquette, you know. I've closed the other threads, so that any replies can all be made here in the same place.

danHMBA

Digger,

Thank you for the feedback. I usually do not post on a lot of forums so am a novice when it comes to the netiquite. However, I do apprciate being a part of the forumn and hearing feedback from the community. Thanks!

ericscher

Basically, it's either a toy or it's a work vehicle.

The number of circumstances where an ORV as a work vehicle would be a better choice than other options are fairly small.

In terms of it being a toy, what's the barrier to a boat, motorcycle, hot-rod or any other "Mid-life-crisis-cure"?

The WIFE. Duh.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
They are over priced. a good used pickup cost less and will do more.

chevota84

I was looking at a new crew cab Ranger the other day, $22,000. I can buy 4 or 5 90's Toyotas or Nissans and beat on them for a long time for the same price.

check

I have a couple older Suzuki 300's for work and play. Why wouldn't I buy a new one? They are all overpriced junk. Getting 10K miles out of one is quite a challenge.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I also have an ATV and use it for work and play. It's a 2004 and while it would be nice to buy a new one again, it is still serving me well with not one issue and the new ones are getting to be ridiculously priced for what they are.
They are mass produced and the changes made every couple years are not drastic enough to warrant the price increase they seem to incur yearly.

Side by sides are now the price you can buy a brand new Jeep for, and with it you can ride around with air conditioning, heat, stereo, etc.