• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why no drillers

MTI Mark

I agree, would like to see a drilling section in the forum. I have spent many years working in underground mines, and now work for a mining equipment manufacturing company. We have recently offered a line of excavator mounted hydraulic drills to the construction industry. We also do Montabert drifter conversions to any type of hydraulic jumbo drill. I will see what I can dig up for pics of drills in the underground environment.
Our website has some good pictures of some of our underground drill rigs in addition to our CPA line of excavator drills. The CPA1100 excavator drill is actually a complete feed assembly from our jumbo line. Then there are our "longhole" track drills that ITH (in-the-hole) which have an air hammer head which stays at the bottom of the drill string.

See website:
www.mti.ca

I will post some pics and descriptions of the types we use underground. I am very interested in learning about the several different types of surface drilling machines and applications, even though we dont manufacture or sell them.

MTI Mark

Here is the CPA1100 drilling a rock outcropping. This can drill up to a 4.5" hole to 25' deep with the optional mechanized single rod adder. It uses a hydraulic Montabert drifter, which I have also heard referred to as a "tophammer" in surface applications. It is controlled by a radio remote from the cab of the excavator. The HC109 drifter is capable of drilling a 1 7/8"diameter- 12' deep hole in about a minute and a half in hard rock.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/skidmark3/DSC00501.jpg

This is our ITH track drill. It is an electric/ hydraulic machine which uses an in- the- hole air hammer. This particular machine has the rod carousel to add and remove the rods instead of manhandling them. Since it is used underground with limited headroom, the longest rods are only 6 footers. Because ther is no diesel engine, the machine would either get towed to location, or driven onto a transporter which can be picked with a fork lift, or loader with forks and carried to location. Once near an electric power source, it gets plugged in and driven to the drill area.
These are production type drills. At the zinc mines, they used these to drill the ground out between levels, usually 80 to 100 feet, and they fire the whole sections, which then drop down to the lower level. They are capable of drilling up to a 8.5" diameter holes and about 1000' deep (downhole).
Because of the dangers with uncontrolled high hanging (ceiling) in this type of mining, the lower areas get mucked out by radio remote controlled LHDs (mining lingo for load-haul-dump or a loader). Imagine a 6 yard capacity, remote controlled Tonka toy. Just like Tim the Toolman says... "Har, Har, Har... more power".

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/skidmark3/SR-360PIC.jpg

kmags

hey mark... we have a for sale section on our site if you'd like to post up some of your rigs for sale.

hddforums.com

MTI Mark

My wifes sister had a three legged dog, but I think he is long since dead. Not sure if anyone would be interested in the bones of a three legged dog, so I better stick to drills.

MTI Mark

Here are couple pictures of underground jumbos. They are either diesel tram-electric/hydraulic or full diesel self contained.
Normally they are just a single rod for a hole dpeth of up to 15'. A specific pattern is drilled into the "face" then loaed with explosives and fired.
Note the adjustable height caonpy in the one picture. Generally during tramming the jumbo to different areas, the canopy is collapsed via a pair of cylinders to allow for accessing low headings.
MSHA, which is our illustrious mine safety government agency has been constantly increasing stringent noise and emmissions regulations in underground mines, so open canopies are beocming a thing of the past, and climate controlled cabs are becoming the standard. Tier 3 diesel engines are now standard, with tier 4 on the horizon.
Usually the standard bit size for face drilling is 1.75" to 2", with the cut holes being 2.75" or larger. A 45 to 60 hole round was typical at the zinc mines, and generally took about 1.5 minutes per hole to drill in hard rock.
I recently visited a company that drills wollastonite, a fiberous type of rock. They are taking 8 to 12 minutes per hole using a GD MK65 jumbo. Apparently the fiberous structure must absorb much of the impact of the drifter, and is not easily broken.

I do not have any actual mining pics any more, but will try to get some to share.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/skidmark3/VR-II.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/skidmark3/RR-2MBwithcab.jpg

Dualie

was on site Tuesday and the Geo well driller hit some sort of artesian well and flooded the site. even manged to get a transit mixer suck and leaning in the mud bog. A real Shat show.

Took two heavy wreckers to save the day