• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

why tracks of caterpillar and komatsu are so different?

junior

why is it? you know, caterpillar's tracks are rough but komatsu's tracks are slim and horizontal plates are closer to each other, do you know why. there is something name "street track". what is it, can it be anything like that, if yes why, which is better, if one of them better why other manufacturer doesn't use the best and choose the other. thanks for answers.

smalltime

Yes, there are pads called "street pads". We have a set on out case 455 track loader/backhoe. They are steel tracks, but the cleats are wide & not very tall so they do not tear up asphalt as bad as a typical dozer tread would. However, they do not do as well in the mud or when trying to push a heavy load. As far as I know, the pads are available for any brand, it just depends on the application. Hope that helps.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Grousers are different to various applications, not so different between manufacturers.

dirtworksequip

shoes and grousers

Track shoes come in various configurations. Single bar,double bar and triple bar. The grouser bars can also vary in height. The different configurations are used in different applications. The triple bar would be used on a loader that was mainly used for loading. The lower triple bar grousers allow the machine to turn easier on a hard bottom or surface without tearing it up. Turning easier also means less wear on the undercarriage components. Doulbe bars would be used as an all around shoe for general applications. The bar being slightly higher than the triple bar. Better traction on a softer bottom. Cat offers two heights on the double bar grousers. The higher bar would be if you needed better traction in your application. Single bar grouser shoes are almost never used on track loaders, but I have seen a few over the years. Single bar shoes would cause more wear on the undercarriage components if used in a loading application,but offer the best traction.What you are refering to as "street pads" are probably shoes with triple bar grousers.

TALLRICK

Also I have seen very old loaders with smooth track plates, the same type used on cranes.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Triple gousers are terriffic for getting across some ashphalt but they are downright dangerous when loading on steel ramps...and about as useful as cancer of the testicles when it comes to sand use...you just end up skidding across the sand when you try and do some serious digging.....most excavators here are single or double grousers. Its not a Cat/Komatsu thing...its just what the machine is set up for.

surfer-joe

dirtworksequip pretty much said it all and Squizzy has valid points too.

You have to keep in mind that when a track loader has a full bucket, most of the weight is then transferred to the very front of the machine, and that is exactly the part that is usually trying to turn. You may notice that a loaded machine turns very easily when backing up as compared to moving forward. So you want to position yourself so that if you are loading trucks, you turn coming out of the bank backwards, and then go straight forward to the truck.

Single grouser loaders are very rare and are usually used in a specific application where traction is the largest single factor. Squizzy's loose sand or wet muck and clay come to mind. I think I've only seen one of the newer Cat track loaders with single grouser type shoes, and it was being used in a swamp. This type of shoe does tend to tear up your work area too, so the street shoes are better in this regard. Single grouser equipped machines also take more power to turn and so fuel economy goes down.

Generally speaking, the street shoes will last longer, unless for traction under-foot reasons the machine spins the tracks a lot. Spinning tracks equals faster wear, and loss of efficiency of course.

You can get your machine equipped with anything you want, it just depends on your most prevalent type of work as to what you choose.

TALLRICK

I have seen several single grouser track loaders when I lived in central Florida. It's all sand there, so they are common. Once I remember a machine being used to take down a horse stable. The area was formerly pineland and had sand only down a few inches, then limestone. The loader had stalled several times and then the transmission failed. This was actually funny because I saw the operator trying to load the clay from under the stables and turning while going forward to load the truck. It really loaded down the engine and smoke started to increase around the machine. I was there to take out chain-link fence, but I had mentioned to a couple of guys that it was hard on a machine to turn when going forward with a full load. In an hour it wasn't going anywhere...LOL!