• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wieler pavers

Vetech63

Time for more....................
Weiler steer 1.jpg
Customer said that both steering wheels at the left and right controls are loose and they can tighten the up. Well........they are BROKE so you CANT tighten them up! The steer potentiometer has a small shaft that he steering wheel centers itself over then you lock it in place with 2 set screws on the shaft.
Weiler steer 2.jpg
There should be another 2 inches of smaller shaft on the end of this shaft, its broken off inside the end of the steering wheel shaft on both sides. Contacted Weiler and the individual parts I need for repair are not in stock but I could get 2 new steer assemblies in 5 days at $1388.00 each!
Weiler steer 3.jpg
AHHHH..they came through with the new assemblies as promised. Installed both with ease. By the way, these are NOT plug & Play's.........You have to go into the machine monitor and select the steer/travel calibration and follow the instructions. The good thing was the instructions were very clear and easy to follow! All of this due to the operator using the steering wheel to pull himself out of the operators seat. These are way too lite for that.

Vetech63

Well, its more Weiler headaches this last week. I got called out for a hydraulic leak under the machine. There is a bracket that the cut off door cylinders pin to, which also doubles as a guide plate for the conveyor chains. The only thing holding all this weight and the cylinder pressure is 5 grade 8 1/2 bolts.:eek: The 2 bolts on the left outer bracket mount had sheered off and when the cylinder closed the door, it would torque the bracket to where th fitting struck the mainframe.........instant crack and spewed oil like a mofo!
Weiler bracket old.jpg This is the old bracket once I got it removed. It doesn't look too bad at first site but it was tweaked bad enough that it wouldn't drop out from between the frame....................had to torch it to get enough clearance. Since the conveyor chains lay on the guide plate that it bolted to this bracket, the chains had to be jacked up to the bottom of the floor and supported to get the weight off of the bracket for removal. I had to back the machine onto good sized lumber to even have enough room under there to do anything. It was a royal pain in the ass.
Weiler bracket new.jpg This is the new bracket installed. The mount bolts for that side are behind the cylinder. Again, this is just too weak of a design for the purpose that its intended for.

Til next time.............

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Damn!!! This machine sounds like it's broke more that it runs!! I worked for the largest paving contractor in our county back in the 80s, they had Blaw-Knox pavers. It was a very rare occasion that one went down. They would run non-stop as long as the asphalt plant was running. I can only imagine the conversation my boss would have been having with the dealer over this!!