• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wind farm crane

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
The crane in the first few photos of this post looks like the "new" Kobelco SL6000 from Buckner Heavylift. That should be the same crane that was on display at ConExpo earlier this year.

Hey EZ Trbo, when and where is that wind farm going up? What's the name?

- Chris

SW part of the state, bout 20 mins or so from Platteville. Construction starts this spring. Don't remember the name of the company, I know my dad has talked with the company and engineers a number of times him self, dealing with any of the highway issues that might arise.

Trbo

thejdman04

Most of the towers around here got between 450-500 yards of concrete, pull up to the hole flip it to unload hold the throttle wide open, and go back for more. There was alot of overtime when they put up wind turbines in this area.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
The crane in the first few photos of this post looks like the "new" Kobelco SL6000 from Buckner Heavylift. That should be the same crane that was on display at ConExpo earlier this year.

Hey EZ Trbo, when and where is that wind farm going up? What's the name?

- Chris

It was a big Kobelco, but I couldnt get close enough to see what the number was. Bigge Crane had a bunch of smaller cranes on site, but dont know if the big one was theirs. D.H. Blattner is the prime out at the site.
Jason

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
i know they have temporarily changed some interstate on/off ramps off of I-155 to accomodate the blades here in illinois. the back of the blade has a driver similar to a ladder truck, only a skosh longer......

visited with some guys who have signed contracts= they felt forced, but got good money, hard to farm around access roads & towers

i'm sure once we get these up all over the greenies will fire up that:

-they disturb some endangered birds migratory pattern
-cause vibrations to nearby wetlands hindering frog mating patterns
-high voltage lines causing asbestos like symptoms in local school children
-by slowing the air current, air is stagnate, increasing global warming more than cow farts
-etc etc etc...

scrub bull

bugga, and I only thought we had greenies like that over here.:Banghead:Banghead The local mums and dads will complain that little johnny can't fly his kite any more as it keeps getting caught in the blades and flings him into the air.:D

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
There supposedly were some greenies (or whatever) here, complaining that the wind towers, which are built close to the coast, would upset the surf and they wouldn't be able to surf any more.
One of the wag engineers working at the site was telling people in the local town, that they had made a mistake and installed all of the blades backwards and the turbines were actually sucking the power back out of the grid. He had a few people in, they reckon.

Rn'R.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
There supposedly were some greenies (or whatever) here, complaining that the wind towers, which are built close to the coast, would upset the surf and they wouldn't be able to surf any more.
One of the wag engineers working at the site was telling people in the local town, that they had made a mistake and installed all of the blades backwards and the turbines were actually sucking the power back out of the grid. He had a few people in, they reckon.

Rn'R.
Thats funny!!
I dont understand these people. All they ever talk about is renewable this, sustainable that. They scream bloody murder when someone mentions coal, they want to tear out all the dams on the Snake and Columbia rivers.:mad: Someone builds a wind farm and they throw a fit that it might upset a bird route! What the hell do they want us do, sit around in Adobe huts riding a stationary bicycle powering one of those little 'dont run me over' generators.
Without power, how do they plan on charging the batteries in thier little electric powerd POS death trap cars?:pointhead
So, please, everyone, do me a favor. Smack the next hippie you see!! If they want to save the planet, I'll save em a seat!!
Jason

jimmyjack

yup they do that around here to .... it as be perposed for around here like of the coast off cape cod or in long island sound but people think the birds are gonna fly in to them or the fish will be confused, i dont get it people are for it as long as it not in there back yard :Banghead :eek::confused:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The latest green stupidity is the mayor of Seattle forbidding the street crews from using salt on all the snow and ice we got in the recent winter storm. He says it kills the salmon and eats up the bridges.

The problem with that is Seattle sits of the shore of Puget Sound which the last time I checked had nothing but salt water in it.

We get maybe one of two snow storms a year and this idiot puts his environmentalist image in front of public safety.

Go figure?

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
haha,
sounds similar to our great guvna, he said that shouldnt start plowing snow in chicago till it stopped snowing.... i think they are rethinking that idea. but he's got a few other irons in the fire right at the moment......

farm_boy

I'm not sure how many of you have actually seen the inner workings of one of these generators. Pretty impressive.

Attachments

• CIMG4651.jpg
    CIMG4651.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 221
  • CIMG4652.jpg
    CIMG4652.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 230
  • CIMG4654.jpg
    CIMG4654.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 242
  • CIMG4658.jpg
    CIMG4658.jpg