• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Window Wash Fluid and Freezing

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
What do you guys who live where it's cold think about window was fluid?

Here in sunny Ca they sell water-only stuff below a certain elevation but we can get methanol containing fluid above x number of thousand feet. Trouble is, it still doesn't work well if the window is cold-just freezes back over very quickly.

Of course, they limit the methanol for air pollution reasons, I think.

20 years ago, I *think* I saw some window wash fluid in Bend, Or that contained Propylene Glycol. So, I made my own-put in a bunch of the methanol stuff and a bunch of the PG stuff - smeared all over the windshield and could not see.

So, I had settled on a solution of mostly the methanol stuff with a few ounces of PG, it still smears a little but seems to freeze much less.

Then the other day, I was at a place and saw a carton of "not for Ca sale" stuff. I looked at it closely and it did not seem to have any glycol, just maybe more methanol that is used here. It said not for sale in all of Ca and all of TX, not sure about the rest.

So, do you guys have any cold climate preferences?

Delmer

it does evaporate and chill your windshield faster so it fogs up on the inside even worse if you dare breath before the defrost has a chance to warm up, or freeze up. I guess good wipers that get it off fast help. The last bottle I bought, splash -35, has ethylene glycol as the last ingredient.

Shimmy1

The de-icer stuff has isopropyl, doesn't it? It's either that or methanol. Now I'll have to look. The issue I have up north here is they are using a crap ton more salt, so on a sunny day the road gets wet. Pass a truck, window covered in $hit spray that you either have a working washer, or stop and clean your windows. At 0°F the washer nozzles are frozen with anything but the de-icer fluid. I started adding a pint of either HEET or airline antifreeze (methanol) to each gallon of purple Power. No more icing issues.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just did some research with the MSDS available for some of these. Apparently the heavy duty -35F stuff has 35% methanol and a few % glycol. The rest of it is -30 or -25 and just has 35% methanol and no glycol. Of course here in Ca we are limited to something like 25% methanol. So I will have to go hunt up some methanol to add to bring the concentration up, but the glycol I have been adding (RV antifreeze) does seem to help a bit. But as I noted above if you put very much at all in, it will smear badly like oil on the windshield.

Shimmy1

I just did some research with the MSDS available for some of these. Apparently the heavy duty -35F stuff has 35% methanol and a few % glycol. The rest of it is -30 or -25 and just has 35% methanol and no glycol. Of course here in Ca we are limited to something like 25% methanol. So I will have to go hunt up some methanol to add to bring the concentration up, but the glycol I have been adding (RV antifreeze) does seem to help a bit. But as I noted above if you put very much at all in, it will smear badly like oil on the windshield.
Airline antifreeze is methanol. At least the Gunk stuff I use.

Where is Coaldust when you need him? I think he shared his recipe a while back :cool::cool:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’m back. For winter mix -40F, my secret blend is 50/50 Eklutna Glacier water/meth, a cup of soap and a dash of Chromantint Blue AZ 50% liquid. Guaranteed to cure what ails you. No complaints.

I had no idea California regulated washer fluid mix. That’s crazy. Very interesting.

Coaldust

Occupation
Heet yellow bottle is 100% methanol and red bottle is iso with other stuff. Or, I can hook you up with a fresh load of 1230. 3A7B9D53-25BA-4CC0-8926-27B4B0E67503.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
Since the only bulk methanol storage facility in Alaska was taken out of service, I’m not sure what the current price is. It’s brought up on the “wet rail” now to Whittier and I’m sure prices are much higher. I’ll ask. I’ve got 6 stainless meth totes to recertify on Tuesday.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
My local auto parts store sells concentrate to make your own, so you could adjust the value if needed.
FWIW they sell it in 55 gal drums for the dealerships.....:eek:

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I’m back. For winter mix -40F, my secret blend is 50/50 Eklutna Glacier water/meth, a cup of soap and a dash of Chromantint Blue AZ 50% liquid. Guaranteed to cure what ails you. No complaints.

I had no idea California regulated washer fluid mix. That’s crazy. Very interesting.
I think they passed a blanket "VOC emissions" law, and regulators have to fill in the blank spots.