• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter storage/operation

aighead

Swetz, I think mine is the newer model, ser. #031062294. I looked around on Messicks but I'm not positive I'm looking at the right stuff. There is so much info there! I tried taking a picture of the engine badge itself but didn't have enough light, and I wasn't smart enough to take the keys so I could raise the loader and really see in there. One day!

aighead

I finally got the hoe out in the sun to take some pictures... I see, on the passenger side (American style), this white circle buried under a bunch of stuff.

20231220_160801.jpg

20231220_160908.jpg

Then on the driver's side (American style) I see a couple plugs, that may release the coolant to hook up the barrel style heater? I don't think that's really what it's called.

20231220_161016.jpg

20231220_161051.jpg

Do any of these options look correct for a block heater attachment point?

Also, as a reminder, regardless of how hard you pull the parking break, it's always smart to put it in neutral before you Rev from the engine. I just got real lucky and didn't run myself over.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Yep, always use the parking brake.
Have had them pop into gear if not properly clicked in groove for neu, least gives you a bit of time in 1st gear.

Delmer

The last picture that plug is open and not leaking, so it's not coolant. The third picture looks a little small, I'll guess that's oil pressure? If you're looking to use a tank type with heater hoses, then you need ports similar to the second pic with the heater hose coming into the same place as the radiator return. I'd check around the water pump, and then towards the back of the head for any suitable coolant ports.

If you want to use a block heater, the newer the engine, the more specialized they become, but if there is one, it will come with directions on where it's installed. It's not like the old days when you just needed one to fit a 1 3/4" core plug and you put it wherever you wanted.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Looking on Missicks using your SN, This one is what they show.

1703167555703.png

1703167586519.png

Attachments

• pdf(4).pdf
    285.9 KB · Views: 2

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
Just looking into this for my 555E and found one on Reliable Aftermarket Parts.

But to help me understand, to install this type of heater, do you remove an existing freeze plug from the block and then press fit the heater part into where the freeze plug was removed?

Seems simple enough and their price is only $42.99.

Thanks for adding to my todo list ;)

aighead

So, I'm an idiot and can't find that on Messicks website. I've looked through the site a fair amount and I'm doing searches and junk but can't figure out where that is found. I'm also staring at the post from @Swetz without being able to tell what view I'm looking at. When I compare my picture of the passenger side and that image they don't look the same, though I think it's a view of the passenger side.

I'd imagine I don't need that whole kit as much as knowing the thread size of the heater I slap in there, assuming I can understand where it goes into the engine.

edit- I'm a double idiot, now I see how I need to look through Messicks to find it. I was looking for block heater but I'm seeing the path should be 'Attachments-' then looking through the list.

IceHole

W
I'm currently running No 2 Off-Road diesel and so far, the temps have not been cold enough to cause any issues - but I know that's about to change. I'll be looking for some anti-gel additive today.

Unfortunately I have about 3/4 full tank and am not sure if the local truck stops are offering winter blends. I asked one of the attendants at my Marathon station and she got this glassy-eyed look on her face. ;)

Also found this article. I know it's old news for most of you, but it helped me understand what happens:
Diesel gelling.
Wow, we switch over around September and until May or so. So.e places use winter blend year round. I do in my bulk.tank, not worth messing with summer fuel for only a few months.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
So, I'm an idiot and can't find that on Messicks website. I've looked through the site a fair amount and I'm doing searches and junk but can't figure out where that is found.
I dont think it is you...In my mind, it should be in the engine or engine attachment section. NH (not Messicks) suck in the way the organize their parts. When I fixed my bucket leveling system, I found the parts under implement device????

Yea, not you!

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Aighead, what’s your backhoe make, and type.
Thought you had a Case?

Delmer

The block heater in the messicks link that Swetz posted seems to have two nuts (so it's not a core plug?) but then the block seems to have two large core plugs where it goes, so I can't tell much unfortunately. If your engine block, head, water pump look similar to the picture, then you can be comfortable you have a similar enough engine that it will fit the same place. That seems like an unusually large flat spot with two large core plugs, so should be able to confirm or deny they're the same block.

aighead

@HarleyHappy I have a 2004 New Holland LB75B, with the later serial #031062294, as far as I can tell.

@Delmer- I can't really tell if the holes in the picture refer to the same white circle in my first picture above or not, if so it looks like I'd have to remove half the engine to get to them (though maybe just pulling the hydraulic filter?)

I watched a video of someone putting the tank style heater on his machine (of differing brand) and he drilled a hole into the side of the engine that apparently had coolant flowing through it, with which to add the line that would run through there. That doesn't seem very appealing to me, I'm confused enough with just the picture above, so I probably shouldn't drill random holes in the block.

Delmer

The white circle is definitely a core plug, but looks like the hole it goes in is raised, instead of flat like the one in the diagram. I can't see enough other details to know if any of the rest lines up or not.

I would not go drilling holes either, there are usually plenty of ports, just have to find the right ones. The small ones in line with oil pressure senders are likely into the oil passages. Most any other port that's a core plug or 1/2" or 3/4" NPT plug or similar will be suitable for a tank type heater hook up. Where the ports go isn't critical, nor is the size really (just don't hook into oil!), the only critical part is how the heater hangs in relation to the engine, but that's all done with heater hose, so easy to get right.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Man this is getting complicated.
I just found a 3/4” NPT plug on side of block and took out, put block heater in with some Gasiola on it.
Started up and filled coolant to full and works fine.
It’s hard to tell in your pics and definitely looks a little crowded but I’m reasonably sure there’s got to be a place.
I have put a couple of inline hose heaters and was never happy with them.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
The one Swetz listed from Messics looks promising but the filter upside down is a little wierd.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Go to Zerostart and plug in NH under Heavy Duty and it comes up with a block, element heater with location on right side.
The directions th come with it tell you exactly where to put it.
Easy peasy.

aighead

Harley, You wrote that like it was no problem!

I'm on my phone so maybe it's not compatible with their site but I had a pretty blank search page at zerostart. I'll check on a real computer here in a bit, thank you!

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
That’s why I asked what you had. On the Zerostart page it doesn’t seem to list what I think is your engine but you would know exactly what it is.
When I go on their Engine look up page, for New Holland under Heavy Equipment it list 4 engines and when I look up your hoe it says 450 or something like that and 303CI so not sure what engine to put in.
They all seem to have pics with location.
When I b mine it came with instructions a a good pic of where to put it.
If I remember right, it was only 50 bucks. That was before COVID and FJB.