• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Winter Works

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Hopefully you don't have a lot of issues that another poster mentioned they had on a new Cat 140 (I think).
Yeah that’s kinda my worry is sometimes new isn’t always better we do have a 7 year warranty so that’s nice but hope this machine is as trouble free as my old M3 was.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Took delivery of my new Cat 150 today has a 12ft falls XPR directional plow also has 14ft balderson cat wing got the good Michelin snow plus tires and the good LED lights machine has 13 hours on it look forward to getting to put hours on it View attachment 304301View attachment 304302View attachment 304303View attachment 304304
Congrats, That's the same machine I'm running, had a few hiccups at first but has been a very good machine so far, We are getting Hammered with snow, been snowing heavy for 3 days straight, my 150awd is getting a workout, between 3-4 ft is down now in 3 days and blowing hard, drifting has been a challenge, would love to have your front blade, thanks for sharing

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Congrats, That's the same machine I'm running, had a few hiccups at first but has been a very good machine so far, We are getting Hammered with snow, been snowing heavy for 3 days straight, my 150awd is getting a workout, between 3-4 ft is down now in 3 days and blowing hard, drifting has been a challenge, would love to have your front blade, thanks for sharing
Yeah, I heard you guys were getting hammered. We just have enough to snowmobile. Seems like it's all around us.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Yeah, I heard you guys were getting hammered. We just have enough to snowmobile. Seems like it's all around us.
We ended up with around 16 inches of snow and wind around three weeks ago now it’s been extremely mild weather all the snow is melted except the drifts and piles I’ve been doing a little grading crazy weather.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Yeah, we got a winter worth of snow in 3 day's, 4ft, lots of drifting, some 15ft high in spots, Vplows are going on today, hoping to get to Bathurst for a snowmobile trip this year, and maybe Cape Breton Highlands, depends on work though if I can get away for a couple of day's, we will be busy cleaning up and opening roads up for a few days.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yeah, we got a winter worth of snow in 3 day's, 4ft, lots of drifting, some 15ft high in spots, Vplows are going on today, hoping to get to Bathurst for a snowmobile trip this year, and maybe Cape Breton Highlands, depends on work though if I can get away for a couple of day's, we will be busy cleaning up and opening roads up for a few days.
Yeah, they have lots of snow there. Our quarry is about halfway between Miramichi and Bathurst, and it has a lot more snow than we do here. They moved my V plow a couple of years ago, and had to cut the trees out of it. It's never been on the Volvo, and while I remember seeing it on the Champion, I've been here for 25 years, and never used it myself.

20/80

Occupation
operator
We never had the Vplows on in a few years, just the one way's, the snow is just to much now for the one way plow, pushing your front end into the ditch all the time, really bad on some of our S turn narrower roads, just gets you in trouble.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Well what a difference plowing deep snow with a V blade on, keeps you straight and can move mountains of snow, I found just going along at a slow steady pace worked the best for me but keep your momentum going, 4-5 ft on the level with no effort at all, big drifts took a couple of tries and don't get to greedy punching your way through though, or the snow will drop in behind your plow then you can get in trouble, once you shovel out behind the V plow accouple of times you will learn, lol

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
Well what a difference plowing deep snow with a V blade on, keeps you straight and can move mountains of snow, I found just going along at a slow steady pace worked the best for me but keep your momentum going, 4-5 ft on the level with no effort at all, big drifts took a couple of tries and don't get to greedy punching your way through though, or the snow will drop in behind your plow then you can get in trouble, once you shovel out behind the V plow accouple of times you will learn, lol
I love my directional plow but in deep snow and drifts there’s nothing better then a v plow I put mine on when we get drifts and a lot of snow get roads open then switch back to directional plow to clean up just a tip when you get in a drift that’s 6 feet or deeper make a hit in middle then to the right and left with your plow as you go will keep you from getting stuck. It’s been in the 40s and 50s here majority of snow gone and I’ve been grading roads.

Welder Dave

That's the problem V plows have on trains. If they don't make it all the way through, they need a bigger train to come and pull them out. I watched a video of a plow train. There were 2 locomotives pushing the V plow. The rotary plows are even cooler, especially on steam locomotives. I think it was Union Pacific that kept a steam locomotive just for running a huge rotary plow.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I love my directional plow but in deep snow and drifts there’s nothing better then a v plow I put mine on when we get drifts and a lot of snow get roads open then switch back to directional plow to clean up just a tip when you get in a drift that’s 6 feet or deeper make a hit in middle then to the right and left with your plow as you go will keep you from getting stuck. It’s been in the 40s and 50s here majority of snow gone and I’ve been grading roads.
Yes in the bigger drifts That's what I do, middle right than left, being from the East coast I call it fish boning, lol thanks

20/80

Occupation
operator
We had a few more dumps of snow, another ft, then a couple around 6 inches, yesterday we got hit by a rain storm, 2inches of rain fell with a flash freeze, has made quite a mess, I had all my roads peeled right to the gravel but this flash freeze has left a little skim of ice over them all, won't take much to peel the ice of them with some milder temps in the forecast, some of our other shops never had there back roads peeled to the gravel and left hard packed snow on them they have a skating rink on there hands now.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I’m about to give up on winter here been in the 40 to 60 frost is pretty much out of the ground I’ve been grading gravel going to take at least one wing off tired of looking around it.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I’m about to give up on winter here been in the 40 to 60 frost is pretty much out of the ground I’ve been grading gravel going to take at least one wing off tired of looking around it.
Your lucky, 4ft in my front yard, need a lot of warm weather and rain to be rid of it, thinking maybe in June it will be gone

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I tell everyone I get a brand new machine with new snow equipment and no more snow although I’m not complaining after last winter it was nice to have a slow winter and not have everyone on your ass wanting roads open.