• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working in the Heat

Zewnten

Having worked in the Southwest for awhile and occasional summer Houston job also I thought I could acclimate decently to the humidity of Kansas summer, not so much. Last job was down in a gravel pit in full sun standing in water. Truck dash said it was 108 F at 4 PM and probably very high humidity. Umbrella, long sleeve shirt, some special wicking under layer to help keep sweating, a cold water neck thing, cool water. none of it seemed matter, just too hot to be working for any length of time. So what do you guys do not to keel over with heat stroke. Company has had several people get heat sick this summer.

Vetech63

I will keep my truck idling with the ac on. I know it’s not good on the truck but Ide rather the truck die than me.
I also plan no day or short day on temps over 100. Ill be 60 next month and I just can’t take the heat like I used too

crane operator

I just had a customer want to maybe get a screen deck Friday afternoon, at 3:00 for a start time. With a 105 heat index in a quarry pit.

I just told him we could start Saturday morning or Monday morning.

First of June we start at 6 and quit at 2:30. We’ll probably stay at that until late August/ early September.

The biggest help for me is if I have a fan. I won’t wear the fancy wicking shirts, I think they are like wearing a trash bag and are hot. Cotton shirt for me, and if it’s full sun I don’t mind having sleeves.

I don’t like going in and out of the a/c. If I’m between jobs or out in the pickup, I might turn the a/c on, but leave the windows open. I want to get out in the early morning, stay out in it until I’m done for the day, and I like a meat locker atmosphere at the house until morning.

4:30 in a quarry pit is asking for someone to get sick.

JD955SC

Frequent breaks, tons of water and electrolyte replacement drinks or supplements, fans, and seek or make shade.

I have lived my entire life in the heat and humidity. It’s no fun but it’s survivable.

Truck Shop

100* in a wheat field is no fun either, the dust mixed with sweat becomes a coating. I don't run
the A/C very much, getting out then back in a cold cab isn't good on me. I just drink allot of
water, like about 6 or 7 16oz. But the worst thing is any fluid with sugar. There is no shade in a
1000 acre wheat field except under the hopper trailer and once that heats up it's like setting
under a roaster. Hell I lost 10 lbs since harvest started, only eat 1/2 sandwich, vegetables and
tangerines.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
A cheap beach umbrella stuck anywhere u can for shade..
A Walmart 10’ canapy w the 4 legs.. saved my life a bunch of times..
Start at daybreak and knock off at 2 or 3:00..
Place I use to work would allow the engine builders to come in at 10 pm and work until they wanted to in the AM..
Heat index for the last 3 days was 112-114*.!!!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We have a couple 10x10 tailgate tents for the job site In each job box. Pop it up over the back of the truck and provides a shady place to cool off and look at plans etc. Also have a couple of 18 v Milwaukee fans that can move some air and decent on batteries.

Plenty of water and electrolytes and don’t over do it. Lived in AL my whole life and the end of summer sucks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I carry a old style Water Cask if going to be out in heat for long durations HERE, Ice and bottles of Power Ade ZERO(NO Sugar) in with the water, after water stops quenching then pop a PA, when those fail get to a shade spot or the barn or the shop and STOP for awhile.

mks

Occupation
None currently
One other thing cool your radiator if possible-carry ice packs in your cooler, place on wrists
it's a quick way to cool the blood. Running cold water over wrists works well.
I have read about this don’t recall where. As I recall there are lots of veins in the wrists and hands that allow easy transfer of heat.
I have noticed when I remember to wear nitrile gloves I begin to sweat quickly on warmer days.