• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

working over seas

pushkid84

i am going to kuwait in january to run equipment. i wanted to see if there was any one on the forum that has done this in the past. if you have please give some information about your experince out of country, if not your opinion would be valued.:usa

Wolf

Kuwait

What kind of projects would you be doing in Kuwait? How much do they pay for operators over there? Might be tough to grab a beer after work, though.

pushkid84

What kind of projects would you be doing in Kuwait? How much do they pay for operators over there? Might be tough to grab a beer after work, though.

i will most likely be running a 966 size loader with fork atachments, or ann it. i will not be alowed to the military base i will be om at all, and kuwait is not a war zone so thats good! the pay is excelent and tax free to boot:D! but there is absolutley no alcahol alowed on base so no beers after work:drinkup. hey guys thanks so much for the discusion:usa

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
If I had no engagements here in the States, I'd probably do it. I like a sense of adventure, doesn't bother me to take a bit of a risk and do something completely off the wall. But, money isn't everything, and I'd rather enjoy what I'm doing here in the states for less pay. However, I would still consider this if someone asked me if I'd be interested.

Wolf

Barely legal in Kuwait

It's not just no alcohol on the base, dude, alcohol is barely legal in Kuwait. It only became legal this year, and is highly frowned upon because the Muslims can't touch it.

Read below:

KUWAIT: In a surprise move aimed at fostering tourism, Kuwait's government announced yesterday that alcohol would be legalised in Kuwait starting May 25 after more than 40 years of prohibition. Alcohol will be available only in five star establishments or at state liquor outlets and sold only to non-Muslim expatriates holding a liquor-consuming ration cards.
Each expatriate will be allowed five bottles of liquor or 100 bottles of beer per month at government regulated stores. Any Muslim caught buying or consuming alcohol will face stiff penalties.

In December 1964, Kuwait's government banned all liquor within its borders following a series of drunken driving fatalities, primarily of citizens. Prohibition triggered a flourishing underground bootlegging trade both in smuggled alcohol and bathtub gin.

Turbo21835

Ive been considering an upcoming gig in Africa. Theres some pluses to this. There some major downsides. Get as much info as you can. Make sure you have a way out at anytime you want. Remember to check in with the state department. Keep tabs on whats going on in that area. Travel with the group, stay away from large gatherings of the local population, dont travel at night. Most of this is common sense stuff. Try not to stick out. Stay out of trouble, their laws are different than ours, the state department is not going to be able to help you if you get in trouble. Make sure to be up to date on all your shots, theres a lot of different diseases that we dont see here. Try and reap the bennis and be careful.

Josh

Wolf

Hey, Josh: Are you looking at doing demolition work in Africa? Sounds kinda cool.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I've spent some time in Kuwait, when we was deployed to Iraq.:)

I don't see that u got anything to be afraid of.
Very nice and friendly people. Big city, but u can spend a lot of money very quick downtown.

Nearly no crime at all.
Can't ever beliewe that there is any place where there is more Ferraris, rolls and Lamborghinis than in Kuwait city.:eek:

As long as u go at least two together u can go anywhere.
We spent a lot of time in the Indian quarters at night and had no problems what so ever.

Bet there is a higher risk inside the big US base u wil be stationed on...:cool:

Turbo21835

Not demo, back to excavation. Roughly a 65ton hoe digging some large basements for high rise construction.

Josh

Wolf

Not demo, back to excavation. Roughly a 65ton hoe digging some large basements for high rise construction.

Josh

Where in Africa? It should be fun to operate that 65 ton baby. I can't imagine what the construction techniques are like in Africa though. Could be kinda scary.

pushkid84

I've spent some time in Kuwait, when we was deployed to Iraq.:)

I don't see that u got anything to be afraid of.
Very nice and friendly people. Big city, but u can spend a lot of money very quick downtown.

Nearly no crime at all.
Can't ever beliewe that there is any place where there is more Ferraris, rolls and Lamborghinis than in Kuwait city.:eek:

As long as u go at least two together u can go anywhere.
We spent a lot of time in the Indian quarters at night and had no problems what so ever.

Bet there is a higher risk inside the big US base u wil be stationed on...:cool:

what about the risk on the base? i wont be a,owed o leave the base at all

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well you know, isn't everybody joining that is mothers best boy.;)
Many come from a bad neighborhood, joining because they got nothing else to do in their life.

Not leave the base?
You got to be kidding, that will be a very booooring job. After a week or two u have tasted all the sorts of meals served in the kitchen.:confused:

KBR or Supreme will bring diarrea to a camp near you, we use to say.

Bring a hobby or something with u, because there is a standard system in the camps, that u will check out real quick.:)

And seek all posibilitys to go out into the city. It's an adventure just to visit the shopping centers.
Gold, watches, Lamborghinis, Resturants and shops u only find where there are incredible rich customers.:eek:

pushkid84

Well you know, isn't everybody joining that is mothers best boy.;)
Many come from a bad neighborhood, joining because they got nothing else to do in their life.

Not leave the base?
You got to be kidding, that will be a very booooring job. After a week or two u have tasted all the sorts of meals served in the kitchen.:confused:

KBR or Supreme will bring diarrea to a camp near you, we use to say.

Bring a hobby or something with u, because there is a standard system in the camps, that u will check out real quick.:)

And seek all posibilitys to go out into the city. It's an adventure just to visit the shopping centers.
Gold, watches, Lamborghinis, Resturants and shops u only find where there are incredible rich customers.:eek:

what do you mean about kbr and diarrea to a camp, and what about moms best boys

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
what do you mean about kbr and diarrea to a camp, and what about moms best boys

In the camp, when the food is off its one in all in. The chain of supply of food to the camp may be somewhat extended and quality can be....variable. MK's referral to "moms best boys" suggests that people in the forces are much like real life, you get the good the bad and the ugly...and some of those people bring some old habits with them.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
your dead right squizzy...:)
Bet its one of the reasons u got the "super" in your awatar.....:notworthy

And pushkid, be sure you don't get sent into Iraq, it's very close, and not the place u want to be.;)

Here is some pictures from the area:
http://www.mktef.info/undersider/Irak1.html
http://www.mktef.info/undersider/Irak2.html

Something to think about????? Getting sent into Iraq,when the gig to start with was Kiw,something to think about:confused:

Once your over there things can and do change,so might want to be prepared for the worst.

I never thought about the possablitiy of that happening.Again good info and something to think about.Didn't i already say that:beatsme Good luck:usa

pushkid84