• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Would you upgrade a reliable dump truck?

suladas

Been wondering if I should upgrade my 92 WS to something a bit newer and nicer if prices taken a down turn which I think is coming, it's been a great year for me and i'd have no problem throwing another $80k towards a newer truck and i'd guess i'd get $20k for mine, $100k should buy something pretty nice.

But I can't help but wonder if I should? The truck has never let me down, it's costing me very little to keep it on the road, I anticipate this inspection i'm going to have to rebush the rear suspension and maybe a few tires, and obviously other little things will come up, probably $3-4k and good for another year. It's amazing on fuel. Got an oil analysis done and it came back good, it does not lack power. It sucks on the jobs an hour out of town with a max speed of 55 mph and even after getting a nice new seat, it does get old sometimes how rough it rides, but it gets there.

Am I asking for more problems spending that kind of money? For how much I use it, there's no way I can justify spending anymore then that. This year I will probably only put 8,000 miles on it, it's still not getting that much use. I have no interest in hiring a driver if I get a newer one so it wouldn't see anymore use then the current one. I also don't want to spend $100k on a truck that is going to cost as much or more to keep on the road either, makes no sense.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If its doing the job I'd keep it. 8,000 miles a year is nothing.

Have you ever considered putting a different set of diffs and suspension under it, rather than rebushing what you have? You could pick up a used cutoff from the wreckers with a taller ratio and Neway air ride for probably $7-8k. Might make it a little more enjoyable to run down the highway in.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
With dump trucks, one is none and two is one. Check with your CPA and see if it makes sense to spend money this year vs next year.

skyking1

I don't agree that one is none. I have the same vintage and power train, and have been down for shop repair once, for those broken exhaust studs. I have done a solenoid and alternator but the rest has been normal service.

cfherrman

Take a real good pressure wash to it and look at the frame, if that frame is still good keep it. Trucks 2007 and older are way better than newer ones and once once gone chances of getting one back is smaller every day. I would spend 10-20k on a refurb over buying new every day of the week.

Take it from me, a self employed guy who's been out of work for over two months because of my back, I'm fine but if I had a loan payment I'd probably would have had to sell.

suladas

If its doing the job I'd keep it. 8,000 miles a year is nothing.

Have you ever considered putting a different set of diffs and suspension under it, rather than rebushing what you have? You could pick up a used cutoff from the wreckers with a taller ratio and Neway air ride for probably $7-8k. Might make it a little more enjoyable to run down the highway in.

I wonder how much it would help, i've driven my brothers new WS with spring suspension and it rides like a dream compared to mine, it rides better then my dads 2015 international on bags, I assumed it was because of a really good air ride cab in the WS? I've never considered dumping that much money into it that wasn't required, it's fine now but as i'm grossing 40,000kgs with my hoe and sometimes put a few tons in the box I can't afford to lose anything in the bottom end. I will see come inspection time if they are going to make me do anything to it this year, so far it's just been noting that the bushings are cracked.

suladas

If I had 80K burning a hole in my pocket I'd get another piece of productive iron. It sure would not be a truck when you have one that works.

I already have too much, I have my CTL up for sale because i've put a whole 40 hours on it this summer. I don't care if I sell it, it's paid for but figure if I make a few bucks i'll let it go. Virtually all my work this year has been house/garage demos so i'm just working my hoe and mini hoe. I have no interest trying to hire anyone else, it's way too much hassle.

suladas

I don't agree that one is none. I have the same vintage and power train, and have been down for shop repair once, for those broken exhaust studs. I have done a solenoid and alternator but the rest has been normal service.

Yea it's been a great truck. In the 3 years i've had it the worst breakdown i've had is a tranny cooler line blew as I was entering my yard, and another time the air dryer froze up. I don't have any use for 2 trucks, would just be a waste. The truck primarily makes me money by moving my hoe, I haul a decent amount of concrete with it too but at $95/hr for a tandem, no one making money running them I would let mine sit before I ran it for that kind of money.

suladas

Eight thousand a year is hardly worth justifying, But if a down turn in economy happens it will be
a buyers market. So run what you have for now, good deals come along when your not looking.

Seems like a good route and with winter coming maybe another 4-5 weeks of work and then i'm shutting it down until february so i'm in no rush to do anything. One local excavating company is liquating a ton of iron at richie's next week and caught my attention.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I wonder how much it would help, i've driven my brothers new WS with spring suspension and it rides like a dream compared to mine, it rides better then my dads 2015 international on bags, I assumed it was because of a really good air ride cab in the WS? I've never considered dumping that much money into it that wasn't required, it's fine now but as i'm grossing 40,000kgs with my hoe and sometimes put a few tons in the box I can't afford to lose anything in the bottom end. I will see come inspection time if they are going to make me do anything to it this year, so far it's just been noting that the bushings are cracked.
There are companies that make air ride cab kits.
https://www.stengelbros.net/Western-Star-Cab-Suspensions_c_669.html

suladas

Take a real good pressure wash to it and look at the frame, if that frame is still good keep it. Trucks 2007 and older are way better than newer ones and once once gone chances of getting one back is smaller every day. I would spend 10-20k on a refurb over buying new every day of the week.

Take it from me, a self employed guy who's been out of work for over two months because of my back, I'm fine but if I had a loan payment I'd probably would have had to sell.

The frame is great, it's only single so no rust jacking. I think the killer of this truck might be the cab rusting as it has some pretty bad spots, or rubber bushings rotting out. It's been noted on inspections that some motor mounts are rotting out, i'm only guessing that would not be cheap to rectify if they get bad enough.

I would be paying cash for the upgrade, I wouldn't like it to sit a lot if things slow down but it wouldn't put me in any trouble, all my iron is paid for.

I do think the truck is worth putting some extra money into making it nicer, i'm just wondering if it would help anything much. Cosmetically it's ugly, but good enough to still be presentable on a jobsite. One thing i've considered is putting new higher hinges on the tailgate so I can add higher side boards as the box isn't that deep so it would be nice to haul a bit more as 95% of my hauling is concrete so it's not heavy.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It only takes one good truck. If you were a fleet there is no way you could amass a bunch of good pre 07 trucks but if you are one guy then the right one might just come along, as stated, when you are not looking. That is how I got all my junk, not the fanciest but it works and pays the bills.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
In terms of general condition between a typical 2007 and typical 2002 I'd go 2002 or a bit older. Get away from that EGR junk with pricey VGT turbos.