• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wrench set / braker bar / impact sockets

CaptainB

Hello again,

I would like to ask if its true that cheap wrench sets brake or bend right out of the box sometimes and that its better to buy expensive wrenches. If this is true then what brand do you recommend? For example a 1-7/8 "jumbo" wrench for tight spots where a pipe wrench wont fit (like the recoil spring bolt and nut) I was going to buy a chinese jumbo wrench set for like 60 dollars but maybe its not a good idea, or should I just buy a high quality adjustable wrench maybe?

I would like to know in your experience guys if a big braker bar would come in handy for rusted bolts, I have a dewalt 899 cordless but its not doing much to the bolts on my D4, maybe its time to buy a compressor impact wrench and 1 inch sockets? Or should I just use a braker bar, hammer and a propane torch, I dont have a lot of money in fact I still owe like 4k from a small loan I had to take to pay for my dozer so the cheapest option the better.

Thanks

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’ve had good luck with the Chinese large combo wrenches, in the 1 3/8” range and larger. Like for cutting and bending and making custom wrenches.

But, pawn shops are full of large, USA made Proto industrial combo wrenches, for decent prices, sequestered from tool rooms, during the last plant turnaround. For beer money.

Check Break

Look for USA made wrenches and sockets on eBay in the sizes you need to maintain your machine. A half inch pneumatic gun won't do much damage to the large bolts but works well for everything else. There's a lot of new chinese 1" guns on the market now. They're cheap and should handle the larger bolts in your situation but you'll need the air supply to go with. 1/2" hose and 30-40 cfm. If you don't have air, a torque multiplier will substitute, but you'd better understand their inherent dangers before you buy one.

crane operator

If there's no pawn shops with "reasonably" priced usa, buy the cheap stuff. Then when you discover what you break, replace it with good stuff.

That said- I've always had better luck with the used USA tools off craigslist/ marketplace/ auctions/ pawn shop, than the cheap stuff. IF you buy cheap sockets, at least get a good ratchet. The cheap 3/4- 1" ratchets tend to break when exposed to a cheater pipe. I've never broken big cheap wrenches, but have broken sockets and ratchets.

If you just have one machine, I really can't see big air compressor and a full set of 1" impact sockets making $$$ sense vs. just sockets and a big breaker bar and a cheater pipe.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If you just have one machine, I really can't see big air compressor and a full set of 1" impact sockets making $$$ sense vs. just sockets and a big breaker bar and a cheater pipe.
Agree I'm assuming you are not working on this equipment for flat rate pay. So if it takes two hours to do a job with hand tools instead of 45 minutes with air tools can you justify the cost of big air wrench and compressor that will sit unused 90% of the time?

Also remember that equipment is often not nice about breaking down close to shop or any place that you can get to with the compressor!

Voodooburner

I’ve had good luck with the Chinese large combo wrenches, in the 1 3/8” range and larger. Like for cutting and bending and making custom wrenches.

But, pawn shops are full of large, USA made Proto industrial combo wrenches, for decent prices, sequestered from tool rooms, during the last plant turnaround. For beer money.
I have yet to break harbor freight big wrenches or 3/4” socket set with an impact wrench. If i did it regularly I would invest in good tools but I rarely use them

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Proto, Bonney, Williams, Apex, Stahle, and sometimes Vulcan. These are all socket brands I have abused with an IR291. For those of you who don't know, it delivers a ridiculous amount of torque. For combination wrenches, the same names again. I will say, it's very hard to beat Snap-on up to ⅞ or 22 for you metric folks. Their flank drive is just better. Several times they have pulled off some miraculous saves. For angle wrenches, I swear by Bonney pattern wrenches. Currently I only know of Mac and Cornwall producing them new. As everyone before has mentioned, craigslist, marketplace, pawnshops, flea markets and garage sales can save you loads of dough.

crane operator

Their flank drive is just better. Several times they have pulled off some miraculous saves
I always thought it was kind of a marketing gimmick. But after I had a set come to me in a used toolbox, I saved the "good" wrenches in the back of the box. I was stuck on some rounded off bolts and remembered that flank drive set, and they saved my bacon when nothing else had come close.

Old Growth

I always use top notch stuff like Wright, Allen, Proto, Cresent, Channel, Easco, SK etc for wrenches from 1.5" and down and for sockets in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1"

But I use allot of cheapy wrenches for bigger than 1.5". Most of the time I just use them on hydraulic lines and use good sockets for everything else.

I have a couple sets of good US good wrenches and break them out if I have to use one to really lean on.

But the cheapys are nice to have in work containers and the trucks because ya never know when your going to blow a hose. (or three)

Old Doug

When i started buying tools there were not very many good cheap tools . The cheap stuff was junk . I can remember breaking a lot of it. Today there are several places that make and sell stuff that is pretty good worth the money.