• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Yom Kipper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf

does anybody know about the holiday called yom kpper? I had a couple of workers tell me that they needed the day off tomorrow for yom kipper, but don't know what it is. i thought they were kiddin, then they told me that they would make a discrimination claim if they didn't get it off. said something bout it's the same as easter. don't know what they mean, can anybody shed some light on this? did anybody else have this come up?thanks, guys.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
"Yom Kippur" is a Jewish holiday and is religious in nature.

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

Yom Kippur is a Jewish holiday, known in English as the Day of Atonement. It is the holiest and most solemn day of the Jewish year. Its central theme is atonement and repentance for sins against both God and one's fellow man.

Link to full article.

Being its a religious holiday, they would more than likely have a case if they pushed the issue.

surfer-joe

It's not a legal holiday in the sense that the government recognizes it. So it's a personal thing with those two fellas. But the fact that they decided to propose making a federal case out of it suggests that both might have the makings of becoming jailhouse lawyers, and these would be people that you do not want working for you. They are always looking for an opportunity to give their employer a good shafting. Certainly you do not have to pay them for the day off.

I'd watch their work much more closely and document every violation of company rules and regulations. Then give them an opportunity to find other employment at first chance.

On the other hand, if these guys are really skilled and experienced workers and otherwise seem to be good employees, than it's up to you to decide whether they are worth losing once in a while to some otherwise unrecognized event. Good Luck!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Holiday or not, sounds like a bunch of hacks working with you. I've worked Christmas, Thanksgiving, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, you name it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Also quoted from Wikipedia:
The Torah calls the day Yom HaKippurim (יוֹם הַכִּפּוּרִים, "The Day of Atonements") and in Leviticus 23:27 decrees a strict prohibition of work and affliction of the soul upon the tenth day of the seventh month, later known as Tishrei. It is commemorated in Rabbinic Judaism with a 25-hour fast and intensive prayer.
It is an observed holiday in my area, the public schools are closed. I don't feel you are obligated to pay them for the time off, but to a practicing Jew it is as important a holiday as Christmas and Easter are to Christians. I imagine that there are non-practicing Jews who would abuse the holiday, much as there are atheists who reap the benefits of the Christmas holiday without celebrating its meaning.

I'm guessing the Jewish population as a percentage in the areas some of you are from is very low, around me they are not uncommon at all.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
After a tip from another member, I offer this:
Wolf said:
Please don't refer to the guys looking at the plans as "Heims." That is inappropriate for this forum and wreaks of bigotry.

For our edification, you might explain about these communities, or would you like me to? Make the world a better place.
That quote comes from another thread where the topic of Judaism came up. It appears Wolf that you are very familiar with Jewish holidays and traditions and from that I can only surmise that this thread was started to create controversy. For that reason it is now closed.

Any future posts of this manner will be dealt with in a much harsher manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.