• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zero tail swing vs normal tail swing

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I love ZTS, once you get used to it it's tough tp remember to check when you swing when you run a conventional machine.

You got that right. When i go from ZTS to conventional, I better have some touchup paint kicking around. ;)

mightycelt

horses for courses

Hi all

Just to add my tuppence worth,I run 2 ex135ur and love them for what they are,tight places back yards etc.just great.,but I reckon the same weight machine in tail swing are more stable.
I was wondering if some one could tell me what i need to look for when trying to establish how much wear there is on the undercarriage/walking gear.

thanks

Fishfiles

Close quarters

This is my first post to the site , I been a heavy equipment mechanic /service manger for the past 36 years -----------My take on zero swing machines , they take the next bigger size under carraige and put it on the next size smaller upper that has been modified , with that said how can you really believe that it will be as stable and carry the same size bucket as the same weight class conventional machine , the best way to compare a zero to convetional machine is the zero has no ass , as mentioned over the side is where you feel it the most , the second draw back is working on them , I have the fuel tank out of a Bobcat 435 z right now and it was a nightmare to get it out , anything I have every done on a close quarter machine has been hard , something so simple as a oil pressure sending unit turns into an all day job , too much stuff crammed into too small a place , but , the machines do their job in certain situations where a conventional machine couldn't operate , so my take would be if it's a second machine or your type of work calls for it 90% of the time go for it , if not rent when you need it

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Fishfiles! :drinkup

drag1line

Short Radius

You will ALWAYS find SR's will weigh more than conventional machines. To discuss SR's we CANNOT use the original weight classes as an indicator or of performance. They WILL be heavier than the original machine. If properly designed for North American markets. (No, I do not work for Kobelco or a dealer.) Example, Kobelco SK 210LC counterweight, 9800 pounds, Kobelco 235 SR Ctwt Japan..14,000#, North American 16,000#.
To carry such weight and still have durability and travel power to give ability to turn, the undercarriage is from the next size larger machine (At least on Kobelco who really started the SR movement)...SK 250LC as is the swing bearing.
Swing power MUST be increased, verses a conventional machine, as on an incline, the counterweight cannot help the boom swing up hill as does a conventional machine.
The booms will be different due to needing to raise it higher than a standard machine. Hopefully, the sticks will interchange with your other machines. They do on Kobelco. Most drive and hydraulic components will be the same or very similar as standard machines
Stability is actually BETTER on the 235SRLC than the SK 210LC due to it's undercarriage and weight.
You will note that SR's by any manufacturer, feel..."Nervous". Consider a tipping condition due to large bucket on a conventional machine with the counterweight around 9 feet from the center of rotation, now although heavier, move the counterweight to 4 feet from center of rotation. During tipping, the conventional counterweight will move up and down, perhaps 4 feet, while the SR will move 12" at the similar tip condition due to it being closer to the tipping point and center of rotation. Stability is similar, but the actual tipping event is much faster on the SR.
Cabs must be smaller to keep front swing radius as low as possible.
While paint and sheet metal damage is important, consider safety of passing soccer Mom's and workers on the job.
My two cents.