• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

zexel injection pump leak on 4jb1

John V

Hey, I've got a leak on my Zexel inline injection pump. Here's a video showing it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mpe4oC2dFRHE9jc86

I bought this engine used from alibaba, so unknown history on it. It didn't leak like this when I first got it. Recently I added an isuzu electric lift pump (per IHI parts diagrams), and I think the leak developed after that. I've removed the electric lift pump following a friend's suggestion who has experience with these engines. I guess the injection pump has a mechanical lift pump already, making the electric on unnecessary. Engine runs fine without the electric lift pump so I guess that was unnecessary. Now I'm wondering if I blew out some seals with the electric lift pump providing too much pressure?

Is there any hope in this being a simple gasket replacement, or do I have to bring this thing to the pump shop and get reamed for >$1k?

Delmer

I can't tell much from the video where the leak is. I'd let the outside drip dry, then dust it with flour or something similar to see where the fuel is seeping, if there's no seeping when it's off, crank it a few seconds without starting. Have to see where the oil first seeps out to narrow it down. Then get a picture of that, or better yet, circle it on a parts diagram. Thepumpguy might be able to help you fix it on the machine rather than send it in, if you know where it's leaking.

I doubt the electric pump did anything to make it leak.