• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ziploc bag trick for tiny o-rings

DirtyHoe

Not sure if the following is an original idea or not. I have snapped three tiny o-rings(.101 ID X .07 thick) trying to install them on the guide that is inside the secondary relief valve to the loader control valve on my 580C. I put the guide and the o-ring in hot oil on the kitchen stove. By the time you get them out of the oil and try to install the o-ring it has cooled down and won't stretch. Then snap! I ruined another one.

So here is my trick that worked the first time. After heating the oil in a pan to about 170 degrees I put the o-ring and guide in the oil to soak up the heat for a minute. Then I put the parts and hot oil into the bag and sealed it shut. Next I installed the o-ring by working through the outside of the clear bag. It worked perfect the first time. Doing it this way gives you a lot of time to install the o-ring without the oil and parts cooling down.

Steve

seals.jpg Ziploc.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Kool idea.. & thanks for the pics..
Using a baggie to install seals works great on the inj pump drive shaft seals also..
Slip the baggie over the shaft & run the seals over the baggie.. it keeps the seals from dropping into the grooves meant for another seal..
(If u don’t have the installation tool)

Fred from MO

Occupation
Engineer
Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. I have used this idea on very small springs and e-clips when assembling things by doing them in a ziploc. Quite often you can launch a spring off a shaft when installing it and now its "somewhere in the shop". If you use a bag and it launches, then the bag catches it and you do not loose the spring or e-clip.

Welder Dave

Great Tip! Look for the new Ziploc assembly bags in the tool section at your favorite retailer. Might be a good idea to apply for a patent as they were never intended to be used for mechanical stuff.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. I have used this idea on very small springs and e-clips when assembling things by doing them in a ziploc. Quite often you can launch a spring off a shaft when installing it and now its "somewhere in the shop". If you use a bag and it launches, then the bag catches it and you do not loose the spring or e-clip.
Where were you people when I was removing the wire type retainer ring for the screen in the carb of my Homelite chain saw? It was in at the most a 5/16 inch diameter hole. I did not think too much about it as there was a new one in the kit, but seems the new one is a touch bigger and I spent hours trying to poke it in without destroying the new screen.

I finally gave up and found a small coil spring the right diameter but a light gauge wire and sniped a section out of it and made a new ring that was easier to install.

And yes I did spend probably an hour or more searching for the original ring even dragging a magnet all over the bench or floor!