• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ZX160LC-5N hard starting after sitting

FWD

I have Hitachi ZX160LC-5N, SN 1FFDBC70CDE230116, with 1900 hours. If it sits for an extended time (at least a few weeks) it immediately fires, but dies and with some cranking starts up and runs fine. It acts like it lost prime, but if you use it every few days it's just fine. It sat for 5 weeks until a week ago and was difficult to start, but did start and run fine after maybe 30 seconds of cranking. Normal starting for it is a couple of revolutions and it's good and no misfire. I checked for codes and nothing for engine, however under main, 11457-02 comes up. Any ideas would help. Thanks in advance!
FWD

LACHAU

I have Hitachi ZX160LC-5N, SN 1FFDBC70CDE230116, with 1900 hours. If it sits for an extended time (at least a few weeks) it immediately fires, but dies and with some cranking starts up and runs fine. It acts like it lost prime, but if you use it every few days it's just fine. It sat for 5 weeks until a week ago and was difficult to start, but did start and run fine after maybe 30 seconds of cranking. Normal starting for it is a couple of revolutions and it's good and no misfire. I checked for codes and nothing for engine, however under main, 11457-02 comes up. Any ideas would help. Thanks in advance!
FWD
I think due to after a long time of no operation then Air is mixed into the fuel system.
The instruction manual of ZX160LC-5N said that:
"IMPORTANT: Air in the fuel system may make the engine hard to start or make it run irregularly".

Therefore, I recommend that you perform an Air bleeding procedure on the fuel system as shown in the image below before starting the engine

ScreenShot_20231230181929.png

FWD

Thanks for the info! Before I start it next, I will see if I can do some bleeding. It is winter now and I am not using it, so it is idle for extended periods. When I turn the key on I can hear something running, must be the fuel pump. I will let that run as stated in the manual. If that doesn't help I will go on to the next step. I have a Kubota KX033-4 mini excavator and when I change the the fuel filter in it, the manual says to leave the key on to run the pump an extended time to get the air bled. I use the Hitachi only about 100 hours a year since I have had it. 3 years. It sits in a a garage when not in extended use. I had it at the dealer about 80 hours ago for some repairs which included new fuel filters. It had this same problem after sitting last winter too, which was before the filter change. Then used it off and on all summer and fall and never had a problem as the longest it sat idle was a week or two, so I never thought of this until now when it sat for a few weeks.
Thanks!
FWD