• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1979 Case 580C Backhoe Left Drive Tire Won't Turn

Occupation
Retired Deputy
Greetings, I am new to this website and am a potential owner of a 1979 Case 580C backhoe. I am considering purchasing the backhoe and was told by the owner I needed to get it running for him before he would consider selling it to me. Sounds like he's trying to protect my from buying something that does not run. It's been sitting for 5-7 years without being started. I replaced a battery, checked the trans fluid, radiator fluid, and engine oil. I was able to start it right up. At first I was checking the trans fluid incorrectly without the engine running. I thought it was full but when the rear wheels would not turn I realized it needed hydraulic transmission fluid which I purchased at a CASE dealership. The right rear tire was not turning and had power, digging in in 1st gear. The left tire was locked up. I tried freeing up the left brake arm by tapping on it with a hammer. I tried moving it and it worked. I shut it off, moved some stuff out of the way so I could move it forward and when I tried to it would not move very far forward. Backwards no problem. Then just like that there was not more forward or reverse in that left rear wheel. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it?

Delmer

Brakes locking up are common on those. you know you have brake problems already, that's the obvious answer.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
Thanks, I was not aware of the common brake issue. I called a local CASE dealership service department and was told it's probably the differential. They quoted possibly 80 hours of labor at $120 per hour to repair it. There is no way this machine is worth that much. My next step is to remove the floor plate for better access to the brakes, spray some penetrating oil on it and hammer a little more on that left brake. I appreciate your reply.

redranch

The C has kind of a phony brake system. They have steel balls that ramp up when you use the brake. I bet their just stuck up, their known to put you threw the windshield when roading it.

Vetech63

Thanks, I was not aware of the common brake issue. I called a local CASE dealership service department and was told it's probably the differential. They quoted possibly 80 hours of labor at $120 per hour to repair it. There is no way this machine is worth that much. My next step is to remove the floor plate for better access to the brakes, spray some penetrating oil on it and hammer a little more on that left brake. I appreciate your reply.
Don’t take it to the dealer unless it comes with a barrel to bend over on and a jar of Vaseline. There is more than enough tech advise here to troubleshoot and repair your issue if you are willing to put in the labor and get your hands dirty.

Vetech63

How much is this backhoe? It would help to know what you can buy it for to determine whether it’s worth it.

Delmer

those early backhoes borrowed a lot of parts from tractors, I bet this is one, the brakes on tractors that age were great, compared to the brakes on 20 year old tractors at the time, but they weren't expected to start and stop like a backhoe, and 40 years later, well, they just don't build em like they used to:D

Lift the wheels off the ground with the stabilizers and see which way the wheels work and don't. DO NOT TOUCH THE DIFFERENTIAL LOCK WHEN ANY WHEEL IS MOVING. If the owner says it drove fine when parked, then it didn't break sitting in his yard. The brakes locking up can get worse sitting. The only thing that would break it fast, is that diff lock. The it should destroy the lock only. Where are you located? do you know somebody to look at it for you? an old backhoe is a PROJECT, maybe even a money pit. The purchase price is almost irrelevant compared to the work you're going to put into keeping it going for the time you own it, especially if you like to fix the "little things".

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Try lifting the rear wheels off the ground with the stabilizers and with the rear wheels stopped engage the differential lock(it will be the round pedal in the floor pan directly below the fuel pedal) see if the wheels spin,,DO NOT ENGAGE THE PEDAL WITH THE WHEELS SPINNING or serious damage WILL occur..Before you even try the diff thing see if you can spin the wheel by hand in the elevated position...When I bought my C both brakes were stuck from sitting and it would barely move, I lubed the crap out of both sides and backed off the adjusters on top of the brake levers, just make sure to block your wheels so you don't run yourself over if something breaks loose while you're underneath it,also make sure the e- brake and cable/linkage is released completely...Does current owner remember any non moving issues ? Stay away from the dealer, I think if it was a differential issue you would will hear some kind of clunking or other racket while spinning your rear wheels even by hand...

Occupation
Retired Deputy
The C has kind of a phony brake system. They have steel balls that ramp up when you use the brake. I bet their just stuck up, their known to put you threw the windshield when roading it.
Wow, Thank you ALL for the feedback. I had no idea I would receive this much help in diagnosing the problem. I am encouraged.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
Don’t take it to the dealer unless it comes with a barrel to bend over on and a jar of Vaseline. There is more than enough tech advise here to troubleshoot and repair your issue if you are willing to put in the labor and get your hands dirty.
Definitely willing to work on it.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
How much is this backhoe? It would help to know what you can buy it for to determine whether it’s worth it.
This old timer, is a retired farmer. This 1979 CASE 580C does not have the backhoe attachment, instead it has a counter weight, I'm guessing 4500 lbs. I'm not sure it he's just using me, maybe so, I hope not. To answer your question, currently there is no price point. I offered him $1,000.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
those early backhoes borrowed a lot of parts from tractors, I bet this is one, the brakes on tractors that age were great, compared to the brakes on 20 year old tractors at the time, but they weren't expected to start and stop like a backhoe, and 40 years later, well, they just don't build em like they used to:D

Lift the wheels off the ground with the stabilizers and see which way the wheels work and don't. DO NOT TOUCH THE DIFFERENTIAL LOCK WHEN ANY WHEEL IS MOVING. If the owner says it drove fine when parked, then it didn't break sitting in his yard. The brakes locking up can get worse sitting. The only thing that would break it fast, is that diff lock. The it should destroy the lock only. Where are you located? do you know somebody to look at it for you? an old backhoe is a PROJECT, maybe even a money pit. The purchase price is almost irrelevant compared to the work you're going to put into keeping it going for the time you own it, especially if you like to fix the "little things".
Currently there is no price point and there is no backhoe attachment. I offered him $1,000 and he is considering it, check comments above. I'm located in Whitewater, WI. If it the brakes I think I can replace them both by myself. I don't mind projects like that being retired. Currently it appears you guys are my best source of information. I've learned so much here. I hope to keep everyone posted that contributed there help on the final outcome. Thanks again.

joe--h

What are you going to do with a backhoe that's missing it's backhoe?
Joe H

Occupation
Retired Deputy
Try lifting the rear wheels off the ground with the stabilizers and with the rear wheels stopped engage the differential lock(it will be the round pedal in the floor pan directly below the fuel pedal) see if the wheels spin,,DO NOT ENGAGE THE PEDAL WITH THE WHEELS SPINNING or serious damage WILL occur..Before you even try the diff thing see if you can spin the wheel by hand in the elevated position...When I bought my C both brakes were stuck from sitting and it would barely move, I lubed the crap out of both sides and backed off the adjusters on top of the brake levers, just make sure to block your wheels so you don't run yourself over if something breaks loose while you're underneath it,also make sure the e- brake and cable/linkage is released completely...Does current owner remember any non moving issues ? Stay away from the dealer, I think if it was a differential issue you would will hear some kind of clunking or other racket while spinning your rear wheels even by hand...
Thank you, currently I cannot lift the wheels off the ground. It's good to know about the differential lock operation. I'll post here the progress. At lease I was able to get it started after it was sitting from 5-7 years.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
What are you going to do with a backhoe that's missing it's backhoe?
Joe H
I have 40 acres up north in Wisconsin I use for hunting. I could use it for snow removal, making trails, moving 40-50 dump trucks of dirt/gravel that the township dumped on my property at my request. Maybe even teach the grand kids someday how to operated that huge bucket. :)

Tinkerer

Occupation
Retired Deputy
Welcome to HEF, RETIREDCASE580C !
Although you said in your first post you were considering purchasing a backhoe, it caused a small amount of confusion.
The machine is a loader tractor if it has counterweight on it.
Click on the following link for the service manual --->https://cdn.minnpar.com/partbooks/CASE (CNH) MANUALS/CNH (CASE) LOADER BACKHOE MANUALS/BACKHOE (CASE) 580 SERIES PARTS MANUALS/CASE 580CK MODEL C SERVICE MANUAL/Case 580CK Series C Service Manual.pdf
Click on this one for the CNH online parts manual ---->https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...ckhoe/cn/BED06496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
Amazing, I had no idea even after looking around the internet for quite some time. I just assumed it was a backhoe missing the attachment. I'm putting up a YouTube video at www.deputypost.com today of just me getting it started. I'm sure if you watched it you would realized I don't know very much about what I'm doing. Thanks for the website info, I'll be going there now. :)

Delmer

I'd say you're a little low and a little light. Best I found it weighs 11,500#, don't know if that's with or without the weights. If the seller was asking, I'd say to get somebody to put it in an online auction, and guess it would bring between $3-5,000. Crazy, yes. Like I said, it could be not worth it even if it was given away.

Occupation
Retired Deputy
4-16-22 UPDATE.........
I have been told by the owner that he spoke to a small municipality mechanic friend of his that has worked on the CASE 580 series loaders and backhoes. He is saying that there is a hydraulic filter on the transmission that if it becomes plugged it can somehow apply a brake to a wheel. Question #1: Is that possible? I am seeing a "Hyd Filter" light on the dashboard. The manual states that could also be because the hydraulic fluid is not warm enough. Question #2: It's been recommended to me by a few people that I should try pulling the CASE 580C forward using another tractor to possibly break the left brake free. Can I damage something doing that?

outlawspeeder

#1 No.
Hyd on the Case 580C:
Pump on the front of the engine to lift the bucket and the to run the hoe. (missing) Filled on the left side next to the sight gage.
Steering pump on the right side front of the motor. Line go to a valve at the end of the steering wheel shaft and back to the two actuators on the front end. Cap has a dip stick.
Shuttle transmission, pump is inside and the hyd doesn't leave it unless it is leaking. Dip stick on right side with a t handle that is spun to tighten it, Checked when running
The four speed / axle is a gear box and is lubed as the gears pass though the oil (no pump) and again it doesn't come out unless it is leaking. Dip stick on though the floor of the cab next to the breather.
Note on the axle oil. People drive these though rivers where I live. The four speed/axle will get water in them but it goes to the bottom. opening the drain bolt on the bottom of the four speed /axle will get the water out followed by oil, unless mixed into a brown milkshake.

The brakes on a 580C is two master cylinders, two slaves and a drum that expands due to four balls on ramps pressing pads outward where they drag(can't say stop) and slow the 580C. The shaft comes out of the axle housing forward of the axle to the wheel on each side.

#2 Before doing all that... There should be a lever or plunger just behind the gas pedal on the floor. This is the diff lock. Without giving it gas and in gear step on it. You will feel it when it engages. That locks the to axles together.

The brake pads are not hard to get at, just heavy. When you pull the floor, you'll see them on each side of the four speed/ axle. 3 bolts and one nut on the left. I find using a wooden pallet to lay on is helpful.

Sorry your not closer or i would come over and give you a hand.