• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1980 New Holland L775 Skid steer slow cranking issues

thatgumwrap

Hello
I have owned this machine for about a year. It is a 1980 New Holland L775 with a 4 cyl duetz deisel engine. I had been having an issue on and off where I was dealing with a slow cranking issue. I have replaced battery cables and terminals. One of the first times this happened was when i unknowingly ran the machine out of hydraulic oil. Once I refilled the oil the issue went away. Now my machine is grounded. I have tried other batteries, different chargers. Tried running new grounds. The machine will not crank over fast enough to start. Another weird issue is that I tried to jack the loader up to access the starter but I jacked up the entire machine instead of just the loader. Is this a starter issue? is this a hydraulic issue? Where do i go from here? My next step I can think of is to pull the starter off of the machine and have it tested.
thank you for your time

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
put a amp clamp on the positive wire that goes to the starter so how much it draws.

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
assuming all your cables connections and battery are good then a200-250 amp dc starter draw would be ok i think on this size of a engine....more you have either a bad starter or something dragging check for a voltage drop at the pull in wire on the starter solenoid. low voltage here will not pull the solenoid internal connections together hard enough to make a good connection. how is the hydraulic pump driven? if its a belt take it off. tempary try to crank with out it on. next is the alternator partially siezed? if not remove starter and bench test it for dragging and amp draw. if all good there. is you engine tight ie spun a bearing etc etc

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
sorry guys didnt know this post was so old!!! it must be fixed by now