• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1984 jd 640 transmission problem

Branson1822

OK finally got around to testing on first gear forward. It only had 21 pounds second gear forward was zero that’s C one seventh gear zero first gear reverse 0 second gear reverse zero but if you’d rev them up, you’d get up about 40 pounds and I only tested C1 on them didn’t figure I need to go any further seeings how I’m not getting anything, what do you think it is?

Diesel Dave

Not sure if you are able to physically reach the transmission clutch valve.
There is a test port marked “ CLUTCH “. The port is regulated pressure after the transmission pump. 175-185 psi.…
View attachment 306469

I would do what ever it takes to check the pressure at the “clutch“ port shown on the clutch valve. The clutch valve controls the pressure at C1 and C2.
Check the pressure with the pedal up ,neutral or any gear.
Should be 175-185 at the clutch port at approx 1900 rpm.

Diesel Dave

Sounds like the transmission pump is ok if the blade ,steering and winch operate normally .
Remove and check the condition of the pressure regulator spring #22 in the transmission pressure regulating valve housing. see screenshot below.
Also check that the valve moves freely.
1710193218738.jpeg

Branson1822

The that where I checked the clutch pressure and do I have to remove it to get to the spring

Diesel Dave

The pressure regulator valve housing is below the clutch (inching) valve.
If the regulator spring and valve proves ok , double check that the clutch (inching) pedal is returning all the way to the top of the stroke.
If the pedal and linkage look ok , I think the next step would be to remove and inspect the internals of the clutch (inching) valve.

Branson1822

I took out the spring in the valve spring was good valve moves good. Everything looked good in that little spot. The pedal is doing what it’s supposed to do also

Diesel Dave

I know I suggested this in my first post but….double and triple check for a solid connection between the valve operating arm and the shaft on the clutch (inching) valve. Check with a mirror if need be.
Screenshot below.
If everything proves ok , at this point I think next step would be to remove and inspect the internals of the clutch ( inching) valve.
1710515993980.jpeg

Last edited:

Branson1822

Ok I’ll check it again to be sure if it’s good am I just checking the springs and passages in the valve

Branson1822

Ok thank you and I will let you know what I fine. I hope I find something thing is driving me crazy and I need it on the job site

Diesel Dave

Ok thank you and I will let you know what I fine. I hope I find something thing is driving me crazy and I need it on the job site
Sucks to have a machine down with absolutely no warning.
FYI, the free length of springs , +/- .03 inch .
R33173 2.0 inches .
R33174 1.3 inches .
R33175 .5 inch .