• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1993 580SK fan belt replacement

James S Coad

Ok, thanks again, looks like either way hydraulic pump removal/v/coupling bolts it's going to be difficult,
Will give coupling a shot first since I don't have right tool for hydraulic pump lower bolt removal

James S Coad

I read here somewhere earlier where someone had cut a socket down and welded on it some sort of apparatuses for removing bottom two hydraulic pump bolts. If that person could chin in again and post a picture of that homemade tool, that would be great

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@mitch504 definitely have 4 x bolts Mitch.
Here's what I use to undo those lower bolts ..... but the front counterweight needs to be removed to use it effectively....... I think that's a whole new can of worms for this thread.....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• pump tool.jpg
    pump tool.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 10

mitch504

I would have sworn the sk pump mounted to the motor support with a 2 bolt flange, but it's probably been 10 years since I pulled an sk pump.

Ok, definitely slide the coupler on the splines.

James S Coad

The hydraulic pump is 4bolts
Did you make the tool in the picture ?
If not where might I go to purchase one like it ?
I'm going to start with the flange trying to get 3/16" and slide belt in, if it doesn't separate then I'm going to have to loosen all 4 bolts.

Thanks
James

alrman

Occupation
The tool was fabricated.
When you remove the 4 bolts in the adapter, if it doesn't slide away from crankshaft pulley, keep spraying penetrant on the spline area.
You will be able to rotate the pump shaft, using a long steel punch keep tapping the coupling & turn the coupling 90 degrees every 10 hits or so, it will eventually move.
To speed things up you can use an air hammer with a flat ended tool on it.

James S Coad

Thanks, I'm not in a rush so slow and easy for me.
I'm going to remove the bolts spraying pb blaster- wd40- and let it rest.
Nice fabricating on the homemade

alrman

Occupation
If a customer (contract digger) calls me after they have blown a fan belt while they were on a job, & I was readily available, I would drive to their location & have them running again, before their engine had cooled down.
Have often done that type of a repair, with machine still parked on the trench & an audience of town council workers watching.

Last edited: