• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1996 Cat 315L final drive and swing drive oil

ToxicTrav117

What oil do you guys run in your final and swing drives? It gives me many options in the maintenance manual and not sure what to use. I live in Massachusetts so it gets fairly cold in the winter.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Serial Number please. Then I can look at the same manual you're looking at.

The oil for both swing and final drives should be one that meets Caterpillar TO-4 specification. The only doubt is regarding what viscosity to select.

Nige

upload_2020-6-16_18-43-14.png

I guess the table above is what you're looking at. If it was mine I would put SAE50 TO-4 in it.
If you're confident that the upper limit of summer temperatures is not going to be above 80F then you could consider SAE30 TO-4. SAE30 would give you improved low temperature performance down to -20C/-4F ambient.

The last alternative is Cat TDTO-TMS oil. This is a multi-grade synthetic oil that did not exist when your 315 was manufactured, therefore it's not in your manual. It will give you ambient temperature coverage right the way from -20C to +40C (-4F to 104F). See attachment. Don't expect it to be cheap though. Other major oil companies may well also market a synthetic multi-grade TO-4.

Attachments

• Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 8

ToxicTrav117

I'm still fairly new to this so bear with me. So I can use any TO-4 SAE 50 labeled oil other than engine oil? What brand do you recommend?

Nige

There is a major difference between engine oil and TO-4. TO-4 oil is designed for power transmission (gearboxes, transmissions, planetary drives, etc)
You can use any oil that is marked something like "meets Caterpillar TO-4 specification".

I would recommend that you use an oil from one of the major oil companies, I don't like parts store brands. However at the end of the day it's your machine and you can buy what you want for it.
A couple of examples of SAE 50 TO-4 oils would be Mobiltrans HD50, Shell Spirax S4 CX50, or Conoco Powerdrive 50.
To find the equivalents from any other major oil company, simple Google using the expressions - SAE 50 TO-4 + "oil company name"
I did it for Texaco and this is what it came up with - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=SAE50+TO-4+++Texaco - the oil is Chevron DELO TorqForce. available in 10W, 30, 50, & 60 grades.

heymccall

I know this isn't a listed oil, but, I run CJ4 15W40 motor oil in all my finals and swing boxes that call for SAE50. I've run a few out over 20k hours, and never an oil related swing or travel gearbox issue.
It isn't listed, but, it works for me.