• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Ford LT9000 tandem dump truck

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I learned to drive on a Mack DM with a 5+1 and 300hp. With big power like a 425 all those extra gears just wear your arm out . . .

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We have a couple tandems that were tractors. One 444 Cummins, and an N14. Both have 18 speeds. Only time I ever split them is on the highway maybe to go a bit faster. Stick with the 9 speed. Most of our tandems have 8LLs, or that 13 speed that international had with the deep reduction. That is a nice looking truck for what you want. I can't tell by the picture, but did the engine still sit on a slant in that year of a ford

Tyler d4c

I didn't mean you Tyler, The 13B is/was not a common model.

Yes that gives more time to eat Little Debbie Snacks.
Ah I thought I was going to learn a new thing. I'm sure I don't shift them properly I learned on the fly just avoid the grind sounds

Truck Shop

See here's the funny thing about a 13--no one says you have to split the top side,
most otr's only split the last two. But the nice thing is the gears are there if you
want them. Same with a 18.

Truck Shop

I'm sure I don't shift them properly I learned on the fly just avoid the grind sounds
Another funny thing--less gears are ground when relaxed, in a good mood, chewing gum just
watching scenery go by. The harder one tries---------Then you have the guy that can't chew gum
and drive---there are those, my old company was full of them.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Just my opinion, I've never been a fan of the 13sp. Most hauling I've done is easily done with a 10sp with a good HP engine, and they're way easier to run. But if I have to do heavy haul, or on highway as well as off highway, hell, keep the crappy 13sp and instead give me 18. Otherwise, I prefer a 10.

Truck Shop

Actually I wish the 18 had never been invented---it was/is unnecessary with the lower range
13B. The trouble is the final drive gearing in allot of cases. Now a 9 spd with a 4 speed aux,
that works real well.
Plus a 10 spd like a 16210C--It has the same ratio in low and the same ratio in top hole
as a RTLO18913A 13 spd--But because 1st is so low it's actually driven as a 9 spd.
Out here a 10 spd is a turd with the long grades and 450 rpm gear splits, same with the 9.

Last edited:

MG84

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think this engine/transmission combo will be suited well enough for what I want. Power and gearing seem to be adequate and it's a lot lighter than I thought. I'm only tagged to 54K gross, so as far as towing I'll be limited to 32K. Been eyeing 8-ton class excavators pretty hard, this would tow one of those nicely I think.

Adding a pintle hitch will be the first big project, and may not be as easy as my other trucks. If I bring a butt plate straight down I think the rear air brake chamber will hit it at full tandem articulation. I'll get more pics and measurements when I get into that project so yall can help advise.

Acoals

Occupation
Yes that gives more time to eat Little Debbie Snacks.

No Little Debbie's here - or 64 oz sodas for that matter. But there was always plenty of time waiting for those old turds to finish a gear, rolling coal like a steam locomotive . . .

Tyler d4c

Another funny thing--less gears are ground when relaxed, in a good mood, chewing gum just
watching scenery go by. The harder one tries---------Then you have the guy that can't chew gum
and drive---there are those, my old company was full of them.
Some days I'm a professional like a machine doing it some days I look like a Amish chick churning butter on top of a rock crusher......

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually I wish the 18 had never been invented---it was/is unnecessary with the lower range
13B. The trouble is the final drive gearing in allot of cases. Now a 9 spd with a 4 speed aux,
that works real well.
Plus a 10 spd like a 16210C--It has the same ratio in low and the same ratio in top hole
as a RTLO18913A 13 spd--But because 1st is so low it's actually driven as a 9 spd.
Out here a 10 spd is a turd with the long grades and 450 rpm gear splits, same with the 9.

I disagree in one aspect, I think it's a bit of a stretch to label a 10sp a turd. Really? A lot of variables are involved in choosing any drive train, and thankfully there have been many choices so one could find what fits their needs the best. I admit, being in E Tennessee, we don't have to deal with grades like you find out west, but we do have grades, umm, this area is the Appalachian Mountain area. We have two trucks, a newer Pete with a 13, and an old Freightshaker with a 10. I've driven both with 40K loads of iron. That old Freightliner pulls like a mule with the big Mercedes engine, don't know what the diff ratio is, but it's a good match whatever it is, can easily do 80 on the big road, the 450 rpm splits are no problem. And yeah, 1st gear is low, but it's handy dragging those structural iron loads on a flatbed on jobsites. The Pete with the 13, handles those 40K loads just as well, just have to split the high range gears which I don't have to do in the F liner with the 10. Again, all things have their place, and not one size fits all. With trucks, it depends on your need, and it's certain you can find something out there with the choices available to fit your need. But what I find absurd is labeling anything that works well and fits certain needs a turd. That's just my opinion.

skyking1

Our truck is a 10 with the blue switch for the low 5 offroad gears, or starting out on Seattle hills. It does the needful but is no speed demon loaded.

cfherrman

I've driven a few 18 speeds with a straight truck overloaded probably around 60,000, splitting low side is completely pointless unless you're wanting to shift up a hill. It's just a more expensive heavier 13 speed.

I really like 13 speeds because of splitting high side it's so easy to grab the gears you don't grind nothing and just slow down with Jake's is fast. I can't believe a professional over the road driver wouldn't split all the high gears.

Mg84, every big truck I've driven you barely RPM the low side and you can shift it without grinding easy. I can't remember to exact but on high side it's around 4 or 500 RPM I think

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've driven a few 18 speeds with a straight truck overloaded probably around 60,000, splitting low side is completely pointless unless you're wanting to shift up a hill. It's just a more expensive heavier 13 speed.

I really like 13 speeds because of splitting high side it's so easy to grab the gears you don't grind nothing and just slow down with Jake's is fast. I can't believe a professional over the road driver wouldn't split all the high gears.

Mg84, every big truck I've driven you barely RPM the low side and you can shift it without grinding easy. I can't remember to exact but on high side it's around 4 or 500 RPM I think

18sp in a straight truck? Didn't see that coming.

Acoals

Occupation
18sp in a straight truck? Didn't see that coming.

The place I worked at years ago had three matching Kenworth dump trucks with big Cat's and 18 speeds. The only time splitting gears was needed was for goofing off and playing big trucker . . .