• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1997 Ford LT9000 tandem dump truck

Truck Shop

Run it till it doesn't work anymore
Problem is--just installing a fresh spin-on dryer filter doesn't really do the job, the housing
is more than likely coated with oily water residue inside. If dryer filters are changed regularly
not too much issue, but on a older truck like this no reason to push anymore moisture through
the system--air valves are 28 years old.

MG84

Found a service kit DQ6026, for the Haldex DA33100 dryer. Might just go that route instead of fabbing new brackets etc from swaping something different. I’ll pull it off the truck and do a complete cleaning and service unless yall think thats a bad idea?

Truck Shop

The AD9 bracket is about 35 bucks. Look it over for haldex name and part# for sure.

Truck Shop

If water isn't getting in the tanks after a few days
The big issue is disrupting anything on a air system this old, the tanks are more than likely
rusty, dryer cartridges remove at best when new 80% of the moisture. The wet tank really catches the thick fluid-oil plus water. People have a tendency to rely on air dryers to
keep a system dry and stop draining tanks.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The big issue is disrupting anything on a air system this old, the tanks are more than likely
rusty, dryer cartridges remove at best when new 80% of the moisture. The wet tank really catches the thick fluid-oil plus water. People have a tendency to rely on air dryers to
keep a system dry and stop draining tanks.

And another thing that happens, for real, though not often, the Freightliner we have, one day I was under it adjusting the clutch free play, and me being a wrench bender for near 40 yrs, I always look around for other issues. I happened to notice that on one of the tanks Freightliner factory had fitted the tank drain valve to the port, yes, in the middle of the rear of the tank. The low drain port was on the front of the tank and had a plug in it. Seriously??? Removed the plug and drained a $hitload of water. And of course, fitted a new drain valve and stuck the plug in the rear tank port.

Truck Shop

The low drain port was on the front of the tank and had a plug in it. Seriously???
At least Freightliner put one in it-- 2021 Kenworths, 5 T990's in our order. Zero drain valves in
one, none. All five never had a fuse installed for dryer heating element.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
At least Freightliner put one in it-- 2021 Kenworths, 5 T990's in our order. Zero drain valves in
one, none. All five never had a fuse installed for dryer heating element.

Ha, like drivers now days, "don't need to drain tanks, it's got a dryer". LoL

cfherrman

A local builders favorite thing is to pull a drain valve and put a supply line for a transfer case switch, then said transfer case has problems in summer and winter due to the water

MG84

So I'm trying to make a decision on drive tires, retread vs cheap new vs decent new. I've narrowed it down to these three, which are about all I can get locally right now (Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin are out of my budget):
Oliver retread waste hauler lug, middle of 3rd page, $2400 installed:

Galaxy DR271, $3500 installed:

Hercules Strong Gaurd HMX, $4300 installed:

Truck Shop

Hercules HMX--It will clean better with that style of center rib and open shoulder lugs,
plus traction.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I have a truck real similar to yours, last year I put on retread Waste Handlers of some sort that my local tire outfit had on the shelf. For a low mileage local truck retreads will probably be fine. Mine were like $300-ish a piece, vs 600+ for new tires.

The tires on my truck performed well. Until I drove over a 1/2" rebar retaining stake that got missed . . .

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Not sure what retreads are like in The US, but we run retreads on all our tandems, and get as much running out of them as a new tire. Mind you they are our casings that have been redone. Not sure where they send them. I don't know if I would run them on a highway truck. They might be fine, but hours and hours of driving on pave at high speeds........

skyking1

I am knocking on wood about my air dryer. I am sure it is old and outmoded, but every time I sump the tanks I get nothing. It has valves all over and they never spit a thing ( knocks on wood again).
As far as drives, I do them by comittee. I have legal used rubber back there and when something happens, like the tire I need to change out that lost a chunk, my tire shop can find me a decent match.
I've never lost one. I think 1 flat total.
The steers are different. I was so happy to get new ones earlier this year.

BC Placer gold

So I'm trying to make a decision on drive tires, retread vs cheap new vs decent new. I've narrowed it down to these three, which are about all I can get locally right now (Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin are out of my budget):
Oliver retread waste hauler lug, middle of 3rd page, $2400 installed:

Galaxy DR271, $3500 installed:

Hercules Strong Gaurd HMX, $4300 installed:
We are also in the process of putting new drives on our tandem. Sailun 917, $4300 cdn all in. Lots of loggers have been using these with pretty good results and we had a set on our single axle dump a few years back. First time with daytons so put the first 2 on at home for practice…lol

11r/22.5 16 ply. We will be 90 % off-road…

Attachments

• IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10

crane operator

Not sure what retreads are like in The US, but we run retreads on all our tandems, and get as much running out of them as a new tire. Mind you they are our casings that have been redone. Not sure where they send them. I don't know if I would run them on a highway truck. They might be fine, but hours and hours of driving on pave at high speeds........
Heat gets the retreads. Be a big difference between your summer temps, and a lot of the southern and western U.S.

I saw one of my cranes has a nice gouge in the sidewall the other day, they are like new hankook drives, it never cuts the old tire that needs replaced anyways. I'm guessing someone run up a curb or a footer rebar grabbed it. Just part of the business.

When I buy drive tires, I usually want the most aggressive I can find, but I don't do near the miles that the OTR guys, or even the dump truck guys do.

I'd like to think the michelin/goodyear stuff would be worth the money, but the overseas stuff is so much cheaper. Its hard to think that they would last long enough to pay.