• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2005 CAT 420D IT--Powershift Transmission Issues?

mazzman

Hi All, First post so please forgive if I screw up anything

We recently acquired an 05 Cat 420D IT with around 3000hrs for our farm. The backhoe is in overall great shape and is super tight. It idles great, and the motor purrs like a kitten.
The backhoe has tons of power in 1st gear, and has no problems plowing into piles to fill the bucket up
2nd gear it decent as well, but you can tell you're in a higher gear.
3rd itll get around on flat ground and thats about it
4th gear on a flat road, I couldnt even hit 20km/hr, this things rated to do almost double that. And there was a very noticeable clutch burning smell that started up after about a minute or two trying 4th gear on the road.

The backhoe trans temp gauge doesnt work, so I have no idea of telling if the temps have gone up

The only other thing I've tried so far is I noticed the throttle stop was adjusted quite High, and so I couldnt get much more than 1750rpm before bottoming out, Ive since backed it off a little, and I managed to get around 1950rpm, but i feel like it should be able to rev up a bit more. With this being said the RPM gauge is also touch and go, so im not even sure if i should trust this reading.

I thought maybe the 4th gear was burning and sluggish because I was lugging it around with the lowish RPM, and if it got reved up a bit It could get up to speed and stay there better.

Obviously this unit is going to get a full service diffs/trans/motor/filters before any heavy use, but this was just a first glance problem.

Some earlier threads have kind of glanced on this subject, but i couldnt find any hard answers. Is this normal for an otherwise strong runner?

Any thoughts?? Anywhere to start looking? Did we accidently buy a lemon
Thanks!