• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2012 2954D Log loader surging when walking or heavy load on engine

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Put injectors, lift pump, FPR valve in 550hrs ago, fuel filters new today,ect.
It will surge when walking it or putting a load on the engine. When the selector is in HP mode it does it when walking but not when it is not in HP mode.
I had Pape out a few weeks ago as it was doing that and we found a pinched fuel line and bad plugged filters so when it started doing it again today I put new filters on but it is still doing it.

Any ideas?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Now it wont start this morning. Showing code 157 17.
I have primed it, tried the gas rag over the air filter (which made it run at about 220rpm until gas was gone) and replaced the fuel filters again.
I am at wits end.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Were the filters still full of fuel? I'm wondering if your sucking air somewhere

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Yes, still full.
Pulled feel to injection pump from primer pump and it didn't run out as you think it would. More of a trickle.
Primer pump takes a pump or two before it goes soft like it has pressure.

Mike L

Occupation
Does that machine have the screen in the tank ? Maybe have a restriction there

Mike L

Occupation
I would check that. Had a Jd dozer with similar symptoms. Had a dead bird in the tank and plugged up the screen like this
f5cecc7e3b72d24c1e559f479b6ec905.jpg

dixon700

Occupation
heavy truck mechanic
How in the world did a dead bird get in the fuel tank?

Mike L

Occupation
My guess is that somebody left the fuel cap off the tank and he flew in to make a nest. We ended up cutting out the side of the tank to clean it out. Not fun.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Not sure, got a call from another side & had to run parts. Will know in the morning.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I have deere filters and I suspected air in the system also. What is the best way to bleed it out on these?

Drifter

Check to make sure there is a o-ring between the fuel filter and water separator bowl. Will not leak but runs bad. Pull line from tank to first fuel filter and see if you have fuel running out from the tank.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Ok, so I got it to start with the new rail pressure sensor but it lesks badly from there now. I had to get a set of crows foot wrenches overnighted to get it tighter. Will report back this afternoon.

Thank you all for your help and time!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I got the sensor sealed and was able to start it with a shot of ether. It smoked for about 5 minutes as I was running it and was down on power. When I shut it off & tried to start it again I got the same no fire/knocking/white smoke that it did when trying to start it friday.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
So you have a supply side issue.

Some things Ive seen on the d series are loose/pinched hoses at the tank,off brand filters leaking air into the system and clogged breather caps.

You are referencing the breather caps on the filter heads?