• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

2016 CAT 259D right joystick

craig259dcat

Any one know if i can swap out a right joystick that just has thumb wheel. For a new right joystick that has the 2 buttons next to the thumb wheel (using CAT parts). aka aux 3 and aux 4 as per my manual. Doing this without the need to re-program or re-flash the machine. Will this be a plug n play swap? My boom mower needs to control 4 solenoids, as it stands my 2016 259D has aux 5,6,7,8, so it will work. I will just need to use left trigger for aux7 and the rocker switch on roof panel on left side for aux8.
Thanks for the input.
Im very new here, this is my first skid steer. Only had it 1 month now. So lets just say my knowledge is growing rapidly.

craig259dcat

probably need to talk to a cat parts department
I did talk to my CAT people. Not much help since my serial number did not come with the joystick options in question? I thought that was odd. But i guess these parts people can just see what on the CPU in front of them. Parts guy told me that if i could come up with a serial number for a unit that has the right joystick with the aux3 and aux4 buttons, then he could get me a part number and price. My sales guy also was not sure that i could, but i showed him the owners manual where its is a optional configuration, i guess not a popular one.

skata

sounds like your parts guy is not pushing the right buttons. try another dealer?

heymccall

Part # 379-1613 $850

It has a special instruction for install and ECM configuration. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I think it may be. It did take 7 minutes for me to find it, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180227-231802.png
    Screenshot_20180227-231802.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 44

craig259dcat

Part # 379-1613 $850

It has a special instruction for install and ECM configuration. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I think it may be. It did take 7 minutes for me to find it, though.
Thanks for the reply, That gives me some insight into what i might be getting into. Not high on the priority list now, but i wanted to find my answers while its fresh on my mind.
Thanks for your time!

One guy construction

Occupation
Owner/Welder, Hobby Land management
Just an idea for you. On my CAT 259D I took my boom mower and added two relays on the mower so the my left two buttons normally work the tilt head up and down then when a pull left trigger that activates both relays which then makes my two buttons swing the boom left and right. I too was looking at changing the right joy stick but then a just added two relays and about 20 minutes had it rewired. normally closed I ran the head tilt. Power from the trigger switch activates both relays to switch to swing boom.

craig259dcat

Just an idea for you. On my CAT 259D I took my boom mower and added two relays on the mower so the my left two buttons normally work the tilt head up and down then when a pull left trigger that activates both relays which then makes my two buttons swing the boom left and right. I too was looking at changing the right joy stick but then a just added two relays and about 20 minutes had it rewired. normally closed I ran the head tilt. Power from the trigger switch activates both relays to switch to swing boom.

WOW, I'm pretty good with finding nice work arounds, but this is a great idea, and very simple. Im glad I am also good with relays...
Thanks for the input!

One guy construction

Occupation
Owner/Welder, Hobby Land management
WOW, I'm pretty good with finding nice work arounds, but this is a great idea, and very simple. Im glad I am also good with relays...
Thanks for the input!
Your welcome. the other good thing about wiring it that way is the total operation other than raising/tilting the arms are done with left hand. leaves right hand fee for a beverage. I have my tilt head on standard switch. as that gets used the most, atleast how I use mine for trial/edge clearing. just remember the over head rocker switch that changes the left trigger button from rabbit to aux power

rjlexc

Craig259Dcat,
I just saw your Post, I think I have the Part Number at my office. I bought the New Cat Grade Box BB121. I had to do the same thing, it is a Plug and Play. I will post it Tomorrow for you. I want to say the price was approximately $500.00.

rjlexc

Craig259Dcat,
Just got to the Office, the Right Joystick that we used was Cat Part#273-9104. If you I can help anymore, please let me know.

steve wherley

does your 14 pin have c&d e&f pins in connector on boom arm? have built kit to add two buttons to left joy ,run them with your thumb skidsteerstuff.com 200.00