• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

259D Cat undercarriage rear torsion axle and bearing replaced

JAC1990

hello everyone my first thread here, I have replaced the right hand rear torsion axle and bearing, previous mechanic left the four bolts loose that hold the axle to the chassis of the machine, it broke the welded nuts off the inside of the machine, also the two small bolt that are in the middle of the machine on the axle tube, so i rewelded the nuts back on, my old bearing was seized on the stub shaft on the axle, so i cut it off, heated the snot out of the track undercarriage around the bearing, pounded it out with a sledge hammer, and had a heck of a time installing the new bearing cat# 9m-1328, i put the bearing in the freezer and had to heat the undercarriage quite a bit, to get it full seated, now i cannot get the bearing to go over the axle stub shaft, do i heat the bearing or somehow freeze the shaft to shrink the shaft dia, i threw the dial caliper on them both and it seems that the axle stub shaft is a 1/16 of inch bigger than the bearing. hope this all makes sense, please help, Thanks Shane...

Tyler d4c

Does the inner part of the bearing move freely.
Was the new bearing from cat or aftermarket

JAC1990

the inner part does move, but its tight have to tap it lightly with a hammer to make it move,

It was a brand new bearing from Milton cat dealer thats in my area, cat number 9m-1328

JAC1990

yes sir fellas i cleaned it really well, we had to heat the track undercarriage to the bearing fully seated, i talked with cat and the 9m-1328 bearing now calls for 6v502 bearing different idk,

the stub shaft is clearly larger than the inside dia of the bearing, by a 1/16, may a defective bearing ? or the wrong bearing? idk.. So i went rouge on it tried to freeze the axle stub, than after many hours of finnng around,

i took the die grinder an clearenced the bearing to finally make it fit didnt want to but need the machine for monday, and it was still tough, idk atleast its back on, but now im screwed for getting it back off because it was so tight, ive should have removed more material form the inside of dia of the bearing,

your guys thoughts?.?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i talked with cat and the 9m-1328 bearing now calls for 6v502 bearing different idk,
However after a bit of checking the only difference between 9M-1328 and 6V-5002 is that the latter P/N is sealed to prevent dirt ingress. All the principal dimensions of both P/N are the same.

Compact Track Loader 259B3 (S/N: YYZ1-UP) 259D (S/N: FTK1-1009; GTK1-170; FTL1-11707)

Description Of Change:
A sealed spherical bearing (1) is now used for the rear axle. The new bearing keeps out debris to reduce wear in the bearing and reduce clogging of the grease path. New bearings should be greased every 10 service hours or at the end of each day per the Operation and Maintenance Manual to prolong bearing life.

1699651344179.png

Adaptable To: The following part is adaptable to (in other words a direct replacement for) the machines within the listed serial numbers, and is effective with machines after the listed serial numbers.

1699651286724.png

Based on the information above your machine FTL14699 was originally built with the 6V-5002 Bearing.

Unless proved otherwise I still suspect that it was crushed during installation, confirmed by the fact that the spherical ball will not move freely and has to be hit with a hammer. Liquid nitrogen or dry ice is your friend when installing this type of bearing. My 2c, YMMV.

Last edited:

Tyler d4c

Looks like mine will get the sealed type when the time comes they seem tight as of now hopefully it's awhile