• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

385C's

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Well I did it:bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri I got to see and run our 385 before it is sold. IMO I like the LinkBelt 800 I ran better. The Cats track motor barely moved this thing and tuning was not happening without help from the bucket. The cab was a lot louder I wore my ear plugs in it I only had a few hrs on it and that is the things I noticed right away. Here it is a parked next to an IIRC our D8L and D8K. Also seeing this iron sitting with rust and no plan on moving it made me start looking at other companied to work for I know we have scraper hands sitting at home and today so am I.

Attachments

• CIMG1087 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1087 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 1,581
  • CIMG1086 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1086 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,567
Last edited:

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
That stinks that the track motors didn't work -- seems like there's a failure about to happen...

how did the digging or lifting compare? I know that the cabs are supposed to be quieter than previous models, so that this one had a noisy cab is also strange. Anyone else feel the same way (that the cabs aren't very quiet)?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I haven't run a 385 but I have run a new 345 and it was quiet. How many hours did that machine have on it Dozerboy?

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I didn't notice much lifting or digging its been over 2 years since I worked for the company that had the 800. It did seem like the controls are faster most of the Cats I have ran seem to move like snails. The 345s I have ran all seem fine, little over 2K IIRC.

Deas Plant

Excavators - rights, wrongs and guesswork.

Hi, Folks.
I have been unable to post here for a while now 'cos of that "You have been banned" mesage, so it's been interesting catching up on this thread.

Today, I was running a Cat 771D dump truck loading under an old Cat 245B excavator. A dozer had cut a bench for the excavator to load from but had left a mound of material at the far end of the bench because to push it further would have contaminated some feed rock for a crushing plant.

The excavator had to start at the far end where the mound was and work his way out to the start of the bench. He began by (sorta) flattening the mound so that he could stand on it to begin loading. Trouble was he started loading out too early and cut himself off from being able to reach right to the very end of the excavation.

(The reason for the excavation was to widen a haul road leading to the above-mentioned crusher. There is also a feed storage area there at the end of the road where a loader can feed into the crusher when the face trucks aren't running.)

In addition to cutting himself off from reaching the end of the excavation, he was struggling to reach as far as he could, standing right on the edge of a drop-off, with one track on natural ground and the other on un-compacted fill. He was all outa level, sliding over the edge and the end, trying to cut a level floor while out of level and countering the events of being out of level on his swing.

This gentleman is generally reckoned to be a pretty fair operator but for the lack of another 3 or 4 minutes of preparation, I'd reckon his load rate was down by at least 30% for the first hour of the 5 1/2 that it took to do the job. And he had to have a Cat D10N come in and clean up his floor and push all the material he had missed forward to him. Figure the percentages there.

My opinion of this operator went downhill dramatically today and it wasn't high before that. F'rinstance. I have a method of bench loading with an excavator that leaves my next bench already prepared and ready for me to walk straight on to when I get to the end of a face. I was using this method one day when this operator had a day off and I was operating this same excavator and I had the new bench well advanced by the day's end.

This operator came in the next day and immediately started digging out my second bench. He got to the end of that, moved over on to the original bench, dug that out and then had to leave the trucks standing for almost 15 minutes while he cut his next bench.

He also spends quite a lot of time digging behind himself and swinging up to 180 deg. to load the material into the truck. He then has to back up and push the mounded material from his digging back into the resultant trench so that he can move further along the face. And he dooes it EVERY bench. NOT the way I would do it after the first bench.

Many excavator operators also tend to drag the bucket up the face from the bottom when they dig. The easiest way to fill the bucket is to work your way down in layers from the top, pulling the bucket toward the machine and filling it as you come. Doing it this way also takes advantage of the lesser distance to lift from digging higher up the face.

Having said that, some years ago, I was running an old Kato 1880 Mark2 42 tonner with 6,500 hours on it alongside a 'Kummagutsa' PC400 40 tonner that had a mere 2,500 hours on it. Everybody reckoned that the 'Kummagutsa' was the better machine - except me. And I proved my point. That old Kato would dig 5 buckets to the PC400's 4 buckets all the time and 4 to the snivelling PC400's 3 most of the time. The Kato was swinging the bigger bucket by about 0.3 of cubic metre and it just sat there and dug while the 'Kummagutsa' slid all over the place and the operator was forever having to re-set himself.

The Kato was just under 2/3 the purchase price of the 'Kummagutsa' two years earlier than the 'Kummagutsa' and had had exactly ONE anything like major repair done to it in its 6,500 hours - a radiator reconditioning.

I still remember that old 1880 with some fondness for its ability to move material. I also remember very fondly a Kato 1220 Mark2 for the delicate touch of its controls. I STILL regard it as the smoothest excavator that I have ever operated and it didn't have a computer anywhere on it, just beautifully balanced hydraulics and valving and great machine balance.

Experience of different brands of earthmoving machines around where I live and work - South-east Queensland, Australia - seems to indicate that there might be some false economies in buying the (Slightly) cheaper makes instead of Cat. It seems to be a bit remarkable the number of times that you ring the dealer for a part for a non-Cat brand machine and there is a wait of a week or more to get it - if they can. Cat mostly seem to have them there overnight if they don't already have them on the shelf.

On top of that, many of the non-Cat brands seem to need parts - and rebuilds - earlier and more regularly than their Cat competitors. And Cat re-sale values almost always seem to hold up better than most of their competition.

Is that 0.02 cents worht yet?????????????

You all have a wonderful day. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

P.S. Pullpan, is it time for the 'grand FINALE' yet?

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
HEY PULLPAN IS IT TIME YET FOR THE BIG PICTURE, THAT WE'VE BEEN SO DESPERATLY WAITING FOR?:yup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Since Trackhoe71 is probably speaking on behalf of a number of forum members who'd like to YELL at Pullpan about keeping the forum in suspense for so long, I guess we can suspend the forum rule about POSTING IN ALL CAPS for just this one occasion... :wink2

Wulf

HEY PULLPAN IS IT TIME YET FOR THE BIG PICTURE, THAT WE'VE BEEN SO DESPERATLY WAITING FOR?:yup

Not sure which is worse... waiting for hotsacks to get his stabilizer pin out or to see pullpans finale :sleeping

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I guess the paint is dry on Dwan's Austin Western by now too, so we don't even have that to keep us busy... :(

farm_boy

OK Gents.....if we are going to go big....lets stop messing around.

And if it were to come down to an 85 tonner for me...this is the route I would go. Not the 385C nor the PC800, but the 850DLC

Attachments

• 437944.jpg
    437944.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,581
  • 129467.jpg
    129467.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,578
  • 418572.jpg
    418572.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,549

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Good pics Farm boy :yup but Pullpan still has an obligation for the finale :bouncegri . Are we gonna hafta round up da posse and send um to Cali?

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
I beleive were going to have to round up the posse, for making us wait so long. pullpan is it time yet??????????:Banghead

Deas Plant

Baby Excavators.

Hi, Folks.
Will these do?????????????????

One or two more to come.

Attachments

• Hitachi 5500_1.jpg
    Hitachi 5500_1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Hitachi 5500_1A.jpg
    Hitachi 5500_1A.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,511
  • Leibherr 996 Litronic_2B.jpg
    Leibherr 996 Litronic_2B.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • Leibherr 996 Litronic_2A.jpg
    Leibherr 996 Litronic_2A.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,499

Deas Plant

Still Anudder Wun

Larst Wun.

This wun is claimed to be 800 metric tons. Terex - O&K RH400.

The second picture has information to enable you to do the math yourself.

Attachments

• Terex RH400 - 1078 Tons_1.jpg
    Terex RH400 - 1078 Tons_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Short, Metric, Long ton.jpg
    Short, Metric, Long ton.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,502

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
farm boy, deas plant and pullpan: OUTSTANDING!!!!! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy anybody have some 5000 series cats they wanna show?