• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

533 left side weak

wayne1234

I have had this machine a few months and used it for about 8-10 hours around the house, it already had this problem when I got it... in forward it seems to track basically straight... in reverse like back dragging it veers to the left pretty bad... if you skid to the right it seems fine... if you skid to the left it moans and wont do much... I checked the linkages and everything seems fine there... the brake doesnt seem to work I adjusted the nut on the linkage and didnt seem to matter either way the plate is tipped(I dont know which way is even suppose to be brake applied) the machine seems the same and it doesnt seem to apply the brakes at all.... Im not worried about the brake working, but I dont know if it has anything to do with the weak left side , I doubt it but I'm just throwing it out there.... I need to drain the "hydraulic" fluid because like a dummy I topped it off with actual hydraulic fluid,, instead of the motor oil it suggests in the engine compartment. is there a actual drain plug? where should I start on the weak left side. Thanks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum wayne1234. :usa

Are you talking about a Bobcat 533? Haven't worked on many of the small Bobcats, mostly 743 and up. It would be unusual for a drive pump or motor to work fine in one direction but not in the other direction. Not impossible, but unusual. I'd take a closer look at the linkage. I think what your saying is when you pull the drive levers fully back until they stop that the machine tracks to one side? And to keep straight you have to adjust the stronger direction to compensate? Is that pretty much it?

wayne1234

yep its a bobcat533... it moans on the left side, like when it is very cold out... or your trying to work a machine too hard ,,, but has no power,,, it starts to engage at about the same amount of travel on the stick ,as the other sides stick... just doesnt get any faster or more power... I actually watched the hydraulic valve that the sticks move and it seems to go all the way in and out ,, same as the other side... it almost acts like its in a bind but doesnt seem to be,,, if any of that makes sense... I may try jacking up that side and see what it does then...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
yep its a bobcat533... it moans on the left side, like when it is very cold out... or your trying to work a machine too hard ,,, but has no power,,, it starts to engage at about the same amount of travel on the stick ,as the other sides stick... just doesnt get any faster or more power... I actually watched the hydraulic valve that the sticks move and it seems to go all the way in and out ,, same as the other side... it almost acts like its in a bind but doesnt seem to be,,, if any of that makes sense... I may try jacking up that side and see what it does then...

But you were saying it only does this in reverse, right? Works fine going forward?

wayne1234

it seems fine if your going straight forward... if you try to skid turn it doesnt do well like that side has very little power

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
it seems fine if your going straight forward... if you try to skid turn it doesnt do well like that side has very little power

Ok, given that...that sounds like a bad motor. I'm just not sure about your machine, but most Bobcats have a case drain filter on the drive motors. You'll have 2 large hyd hoses going to a motor, then a smaller hose that has a cylindrical aluminum thingy connected in the hose, that's the case drain filter. If you remove it and take it apart, check for metal debris in the filter. If there's a considerable amount of debris, you've probably got a bad motor. If so, one thing you could do to verify, and I know it's a PITA, but you could remove the motors and switch them, see if the problem moves to the other side. Just a few thoughts from a jumbled up mess in my head. :cool:

wayne1234

well I got her up on jack stands and there isn't any binding... but I did notice something ,, I had a bobcat773 a couple of years ago... and I have used a buddys 763.. The way they all operated is if you wanted to "skid turn" right you full forward left stick, and full back right stick. This one (533) I noticed it will only let you go say 40-50% in opposite directions on the sticks and then it pulls the other stick along with it... nothing seems wrong with the linkages I think this is how it is suppose to work, can someone please confirm?....
And with the wheels off the ground I can clearly see the left side does "engage later on the stick movement... So if I try to "skid turn right" if i move the left stick forward all the way and pull the right stick back the right side is stationary at best or slightly still moving forward... hence not a tight turn seeming weak.... now if I only 1/2 way go left stick forward, and right stick full back the right side goes in reverse and the left side goes forward ,= tighter turn......

Is this how the stick controls are suppose to be on a older machinge meaning they will only let you go say 40-50% in opposite directions? meaning you can not physically have left stick all the way forward , and right stick all the way backwards?

wayne1234

Ok defiantly something is wrong... while on the jack stands ,the left side wheels I can turn by hand forward and reverse,,,,, no mater what the stick position,,, on the right side I CAN NOT turn the wheels by hand , no matter what the stick position... Clearly something is wrong ,, I assume the left side,,, again in the left side when I turn the wheels by hand I can hear hydro fluid sloshing.. sounds like its coming from the motor... Now I need some advise... Thanks guys

wayne1234

by the way it is very easy to turn the wheels like 2 fingers easy,,, so do you guys think it is the drive motor or in the hydraulics?

wayne1234

how do I get the freaking chain assembly's off I don't see a master link or something like that, I got the motor unbolted but cant seem to get the chains off the sprockets... help

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I haven't worked on one of these little Bobcats. On the larger ones, the motor bolts onto what they call a final drive, which is a gear reduction box, and the final drive output shaft has the chain sprockets. So on these, you can remove the motors without messing with chains. Sounds like yours might be different. On most other Bobcat models, if you have to remove the chains, you have to remove an axle sprocket, either front or rear, whichever is easier (yeah, right), and in many cases you have to pull the axle far enough to release the sprocket. Once you have a sprocket released, you can remove that chain, then that will give you the needed slack to remove the other chain. It does sound like you have a bad motor if you can turn the wheels by hand.

LBTCon

Cant you just use a chain breaker then replace the chain link? It seems it would be easier then trying to pull an axel.

wayne1234

Yes I used a grinder and got a link out that way,,, The chains are a 60H standard stuff... Upon further inspection that "weak" left motor has been replaced before ... I would say in the last 2-5 years... it is a TRW Ross Gear code Z70 r 78 A, CODE MAE 24024 .... The older and must be original and working fine right side is a TRW Ross Gear couldn't make out first digit I think it is 093 84 A, code MAE 24033 Both have two same cast numbers of 3288034 & 3289602... They look the same and I assume that was just a newer replacement model... But I definatly am going to swap the motors to the opposite sides, I was going to today but after struggling with the chains and also a broke hydro line upon removal I just cleaned everything up,,, went and got a master link and dropped the hoses off to be made they said it will be ready in the morning.... you guys see any problem with the different numbers on the motors or is this common? since the weak left side motor is newer it has me wondering if there is a hydro problem.... guess ehen I get my hoses and get her back together we will see.. Thanks for your help Wayne...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If it turns out you do have a bad motor, you need to check those case drain filters coming from the motors. When motors grenade inside, they put out bits of metal. The hyd filter filters these fragments from the oil (yeah, change the hyd filter), but the case drain filters will catch fragments as well and need to be taken apart and cleaned.

wayne1234

where are the case drain filters? on the smaller hydro hose it is a normal hose with a 90 elbow into the motor... the hose connects to a "T" with the other sides small hydro hose it is a aluminum block "T" the last side goes to the back of the machine ...I did take it out thinking it was some kind of screen it is a plain block Also I wanted to get any debris out of the hydro lines from grease, and that is one of my bad hoses.... Anyways I was just messing with the motors, and noticed the right side "good" motorwhen I spin it by hand it has some tension and builds a little air pressure on the big outlets depending how i spin it.. nothing seems to come out of the small third outlet ... The "bad" left side is very easy to spin by hand, doesnt seem to build any air pressure by putting my fingers over the large outlets but it does spit some air out of the third small outlet... does that tell us anything? man I'm trying to get out of swapping out those motors only to pull them again , but if it has to be done then it is what it is ... Thanks again for your help

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
where are the case drain filters? on the smaller hydro hose it is a normal hose with a 90 elbow into the motor... the hose connects to a "T" with the other sides small hydro hose it is a aluminum block "T" the last side goes to the back of the machine ...I did take it out thinking it was some kind of screen it is a plain block

Again, I haven't worked on one of these "smaller" Bobcats. It seems you are describing the case drain from the motors and the two motors connect to a tee. That's not the way the larger Bobcats are. It's possible they don't have a case drain filter on your machine. You have two case drain lines meet at a tee, what hose comes off of the tee and where does it go?

Anyways I was just messing with the motors, and noticed the right side "good" motorwhen I spin it by hand it has some tension and builds a little air pressure on the big outlets depending how i spin it.. nothing seems to come out of the small third outlet ...

That would be completely normal on a good motor. You should feel air coming out of the small third outlet (case drain) on a good motor if you turn it by hand.

The "bad" left side is very easy to spin by hand, doesnt seem to build any air pressure by putting my fingers over the large outlets but it does spit some air out of the third small outlet... does that tell us anything?

Yep, I'll bet a dollar to a donut that's a bad motor. The case drain of any motor is to drain off any internal leakage that leaks by the close tollerance of internal components of a motor so the case of the motor does not build internal pressure from the leakage. Excessive leakage (air coming out the third hole) indicates the motor is trashed inside.

Don't know anything about the motor numbers and what diff it makes. ;)

wayne1234

after the case drains come together at the "T" a larger line goes back inside engine compartment up to the cooler, out of cooler to the front of the big pump housing ... filter seems to be later in the equation,,, how worried should I be? I guess it has been this way for a while before I had it , and I have used it this way for about 10 hours or so .. when I got it I did all the filters and a full service hoping it would change something it didn't... so what ever particles when it had its problems at first have been long gone ... when I pulled the old filter which was really old I did turn it upside down and let it drain in a pan looking for chunks or metal flake and it was really clean ...

wayne1234

That would be completely normal on a good motor. You should feel air coming out of the small third outlet (case drain) on a good motor if you turn it by hand.

;)[/QUOTE]

Do you mean I should NOT feel any air coming from the third small outlet on a good motor?