• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

580b shuttle leaking into transmission ?

Dracos78

Hi all. new to the group found it looking for parts , So just purchased a 580b , rebuilt the brakes changes the transaxle oil and today noticed the level had increased from where I filled it to and it had a hint of red on it ? Is the shuttle leaking into the transaxle ? Is that a possibility , and how bad of a job is it to fix if that's what's going on ?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey welcome to HEF Draco; The gasket that goes between transaxle and the torque tube housing is bad and allowing oil transfer.
By the way that's a good looking old hoe.

Dracos78

Thanks Coy , shes old and has some probs but I'm gonna get her fixed up lol , she runs real good and functions good but I dont think the p.o. owned a grease gun or had any mechanical inclination at all , but with time she will be good and reliable..
As far as the gasket replacement , I'm gonna have to split it huh :-(

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yes Sir you will have to split it at the transaxle. So that means the hoe and canopy will have to come off.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Hi all. new to the group found it looking for parts , So just purchased a 580b , rebuilt the brakes changes the transaxle oil and today noticed the level had increased from where I filled it to and it had a hint of red on it ? Is the shuttle leaking into the transaxle ? Is that a possibility , and how bad of a job is it to fix if that's what's going on ?
Dracos, Before you split it take the 4 speed shifter off and look up in the right front corner and see if there is a short pipe sticking toward the back with a cover and a retaining ring like a small wire type hose clamp on it. Case shared that transmission with the AG division and they had a 3 point hitch with a drain pan under the rockshaft piston and a internal hose that went front carrying any leakage back to the shuttle/ range box. I have seen some of those that the cover slipped off and oil was free to transfer, Case's fix was to drive a groove pin in the pipe and delete the clamp and cap. This may not be your issue but warrants a quick inspection to see if that could be. I had several of those during that time frame when they were current models. I will look at the CE Parts Site and see if that was current during the B series, it will be easy to check, If it is not leaking to the outside I would maybe think its not necessary to split. I will get back on the plug issue to see if the B series still used that casting.

After researching that, it is not shown in the B parts book but can be seen in the 570 AG tractor site under the Draft O Matic section where the drain pan , hosing and front connection can be seen, the short pipe on the front drives into the transmission case and is the connection point for the rear pan drain hose. There are no PNs for the items shown that I was referring to so I assume they are NLA. This may or may not be your problem but it is worth looking into before a split in my opinion

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Dracos, Before you split it take the 4 speed shifter off and look up in the right front corner and see if there is a short pipe sticking toward the back with a cover and a retaining ring like a small wire type hose clamp on it. Case shared that transmission with the AG division and they had a 3 point hitch with a drain pan under the rockshaft piston and a internal hose that went front carrying any leakage back to the shuttle/ range box. I have seen some of those that the cover slipped off and oil was free to transfer, Case's fix was to drive a groove pin in the pipe and delete the clamp and cap. This may not be your issue but warrants a quick inspection to see if that could be. I had several of those during that time frame when they were current models. I will look at the CE Parts Site and see if that was current during the B series, it will be easy to check, If it is not leaking to the outside I would maybe think its not necessary to split. I will get back on the plug issue to see if the B series still used that casting.

After researching that, it is not shown in the B parts book but can be seen in the 570 AG tractor site under the Draft O Matic section where the drain pan , hosing and front connection can be seen, the short pipe on the front drives into the transmission case and is the connection point for the rear pan drain hose. There are no PNs for the items shown that I was referring to so I assume they are NLA. This may or may not be your problem but it is worth looking into before a split in my opinion

Hey Melben: That's a good idea I had forgotten about those pipes. It's always worth a look but Case replaced those with a drive in plug on the B series trans axles. But you never know if that transaxle is the original.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Hey Melben: That's a good idea I had forgotten about those pipes. It's always worth a look but Case replaced those with a drive in plug on the B series trans axles. But you never know if that transaxle is the original.
Yeah Coy, I have seen a few of them and as I mentioned there was the drive in groove pin fix, I did see the plug in the B parts breakdown and thought it worth mentioning. U r right , the way stuff gets swapped around it don't hurt to check, BTW, I enjoy your posts. You can tell those who have paid their dues and don't think that changing filters is a cure all if you know what I mean, I have put so many of the transmissions together that I sure don't need a service manual, I started my career in 62 when I graduated HS and retired about 6 yrs ago so some of the newer stuff is gettin beyond my pay grade. Keep up thr good work.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Yeah Coy, I have seen a few of them and as I mentioned there was the drive in groove pin fix, I did see the plug in the B parts breakdown and thought it worth mentioning. U r right , the way stuff gets swapped around it don't hurt to check, BTW, I enjoy your posts. You can tell those who have paid their dues and don't think that changing filters is a cure all if you know what I mean, I have put so many of the transmissions together that I sure don't need a service manual, I started my career in 62 when I graduated HS and retired about 6 yrs ago so some of the newer stuff is gettin beyond my pay grade. Keep up thr good work.
I started in 78 after military retired in 14 with back problems it’s good to meet so many knowledgeable people in n here.