• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

963C travel problems....

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
One of the old 2DS machines is acting stupid and I need a little input.

It will not travel at full speed, it just comes to an abrupt stop after about 5 feet!

so basically here it is, while in programming mode "-5-" I can view the numerical values of the F-N-R switch, and just as soon u pull it in "6" in turttle or "5" in rabbit the machine stops moving. -----this happens while going forward only----- Reverse operates as it should.

it pops up a 103.7 and a 104.7 (079) and is a right forward solonoid and a left forward solonoid......So, when i reverse the solonoids (forward to reverse etc.) the problem then moves to the reverse side of the F-N-R switch (but the tracks are still moving forward)..

with all of that being said, I had a old 2NZ (or 2ZN, i forget) 953C that did the same thing but it was only once in a while and so we never worried about it,.....

ANY IDEAS?

oh BTW; the CaT truck was here for 4hrs yesterday and he told me to change the charge filter :rolleyes:.

Pj

powerjoke

Occupation
when i reverse the solonoids (forward to reverse etc.) the problem then moves to the reverse side of the F-N-R switch (but the tracks are still moving forward)..

I got that backwards,.....
when i reverse the solonoid wires, the problems is still while the F-N-R is in full forward, (tracks rotating backwards)

Pj

Lee-online

First, i cant find the codes 103, 104 for this machine but the FMI 07 is a Mechanical system that is not responding properly.

I always check the codes in mode 3, then clear them to see what one come back, then I run through the engine off calibrations in mode 5. If a pwm wont calibrate it is usually faulty.

Did you swap the wires or the solenoids or the cartridge?

powerjoke

Occupation
just swap the wires, valves and stems stayed in place,

i may be off on the code numbers as i was trying to remember off the top of my head, but i know the descript of the code is spot on with my manual anyways.

i cant seem to clear the codes out either, do you clear them in mode "3" ? i just have broken bits and peices of a service manual so i may be trying to clear them wrong? ive just been smashing the clear switch while code displayed on the readout as per DEAN Machinery instructions....maybe wrong tho?

Pj

Lee-online

once you enter mode 3, it will cycle through all the codes. you can clear them by holding down the center and right switch. The next code will come so hold the 2 switched again. do this until they are all cleared and it shows ---
You can not clear active codes, these are shown along with the "serv code" in the top right corner of the display.

Try recalibrating and see if it accepts the calibrations.
When swapping parts it is best to keep the wires in the correct place and swap the coil and stem. Just remove the nut, pull off the coil and use a deep well to unscrew the cartridge.

powerjoke

Occupation
yeah, ive tried to calibrate several times,

what is your opinion on why its better to keep the wires in the same place,.....if you swap stems and cartriges and keep the wires plugged where they are supposed to go you cant trouble shoot some things, All 4 cartriges have the same part number

Pj

Lee-online

Not swapping wires is a general practice i use because it seems to cause more problems. for instance when you swap wires and move the lever foreword but the machine goes backward. on some machines this is not a problem but others it is. The ecm sees the forward input but then sees a rearward movement on the speed sensors so stops because of that and not the original problem you are trying to figure out.

It could be a coil is failing so you can swap the coils but leave the wires in the correct locations.
Another common problem is debris in a cartridge and it sticks.
when the ecm sees these, it de-energized the override solenoid and the machine stops. This is a failsafe know as "stuck valve detection"
If it only happens in forward, swap the 2 forward and 2 reverse. it should move to the reverse circuit. then change back the 2 lefts and you will know what one is sticking.
This should have created an active code.

The 4 directional solenoids, the forward are the front 2, reverse are the back 2 (kinda obvious) the top 2 are the lefts and bottom 2 are the rights.

Are there any other problems? Does it steer ok, track straight?

powerjoke

Occupation
Not swapping wires is a general practice i use because it seems to cause more problems.

on components with the same part number i fail to see a problem doing so, such as steering pedal sensors drive solonoids etc.

It could be a coil is failing so you can swap the coils but leave the wires in the correct locations.
Another common problem is debris in a cartridge and it sticks.
when the ecm sees these, it de-energized the override solenoid and the machine stops. This is a failsafe know as "stuck valve detection"
If it only happens in forward, swap the 2 forward and 2 reverse. it should move to the reverse circuit.

The problem moves to the reverse travel by swapping wires, telling me that it's NOT the drive solonoid

then change back the 2 lefts and you will know what one is sticking.
This should have created an active code.

The code's we have are 134.7 1nd 135.7

The 4 directional solenoids, the forward are the front 2, reverse are the back 2 (kinda obvious) the top 2 are the lefts and bottom 2 are the rights.

Are there any other problems? Does it steer ok, track straight?

It tracks straight even before calibration and it dosent seem to have any other problems, It worked in the dirt pile yesterday for about 2 hours and as long as you dont hit "6" forward you are fine....

something else that ive noticed, is that i cant slow the machine down (maximum track speed) ive been able to make them crawl at max and also make them fly but this machine i cant change at all....also, the operator said that he thinks the machine is running to fast, he says that its as fast at 2/3 speed as it's ever been since it was new.....and i think if i could just slow it down our problems may dis-apear?

I've had CaT reflash the comp and start from scratch and still no help. so my next course is to change the F-N-R switch, our local dealer normally keeps 4 of them in stock but they are back ordered right now :(

Pj

powerjoke

Occupation
Did you monitor(gauge) the chargepressure while trying to go full speed?

I have not, but if i reverse the solonoid wires and it travels full speed forward while the F-N-R is in reverse i didnt figure it was necesarry, but we can put gauges on it

Pj