• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977L 11K machine vs 977L 14k machine

Vaughn86

Hey there

I just want to start off with saying I appreciate your time. I don`t take it lightly asking you for a little bit of advice.

I seen your video of pulling a motor out of a 977L.

I have a early 977L it has the K serial number. My front yokes are quite screwed. I found someone online about 2 years ago who had one. The guy was supposed to have both sides off the machine rollers, rail bar, track n so on. We drove to north Missouri, and he only had one side off. Was quite upset so it has been about 18 months now. I have decided to move on.

I found a newer model 977L I`m guessing it`s a 14K serial number model but we couldn’t find the tag but didn’t spend a lot of time looking. Visually I can tell one final drive is leaking and a hydraulic line coming out of the tank has been removed. This machine has a bad engine but phenomenal undercarriage like recently completely replaced.

I`m guess I`m looking for a little advice. The machine I got was in pretty **** poor shape. I bought it sight unseen 900 miles from my home. I had to put new manifold, turbo, new bolts and nuts holding the track pads on, a ton off other misc parts.. between the parts and cost of the Dozer I`m $18,000 or $19,000 into it and I honestly don`t even know the condition of the drive train in it. I mean we drove it around our place to where its parked but don`t know what it`s going to be like once we actually work the machine.

This other machine we believe to be an outstanding machine besides the engine and final drive leaking…. So I guess I`m just curious or what not if you were in our position would you swap motors or yokes. We done have the yokes off of our machine.

Thanks I really appreciate it

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Probably need exact serial numbers for both machines. By yokes are you meaning the arms that hold the idlers? If the undercarriage is compatible I think putting the good set on on your existing loader might be the best bet. Do some oil samples on the final drives and look for chunks of material.

Vaughn86

Probably need exact serial numbers for both machines. By yokes are you meaning the arms that hold the idlers? If the undercarriage is compatible I think putting the good set on on your existing loader might be the best bet. Do some oil samples on the final drives and look for chunks of material.
My machine is a 11K 4152.... We went back over check this other 977L out. It`s quite a bit newer I`m guessing. It was the 8.5" track rails where mine is 8" and the pads and so on are a little bigger. However the front roller and yoke is the same. The machine I`m looking at has no Serial Plate on the machine or on the motor... So I don`t know what else to do as far as that goes. It looks like if I buy it though I would be better off rebuilding the engine instead of using it for parts... It does have a final drive leaking but outside that its a nice machine I believe. So I`m still looking for a yoke and idler or two

Vaughn86

Pretty good looking machine. Engine locked up on it. Was thinking I'd use it for parts for mine but where not much of the undercarriage will work on mine maybe just buy it and rebuild the engine.
1000067241.jpg

Welder Dave

Do you have money burning a hole in your pocket? The engine could cost a lot to rebuild and who knows what shape the rest of the machine is in. You know it has 1 leaking final drive. What else could need repairing?? Why not look for a running machine?

Vaughn86

Do you have money burning a hole in your pocket? The engine could cost a lot to rebuild and who knows what shape the rest of the machine is in. You know it has 1 leaking final drive. What else could need repairing?? Why not look for a running machine?
I've known the family who owns it for well all my life the owner he has passed and his children own it now but my grandfather worked for them many years ago... They have no reason to lie to me.
I can get the machine for $5,000 delivered to my place 15 miles away. I found an inframe kit for $1,450. I know I'd encounter other expenses along the way.

But it sounds like it's not worth that? Maybe I should pass. Even if I don't overhaul the engine I'd thing the yokes, idlers, extra hydraulic cylinders, misc engine parts and maybe some other items would be worth $5,000

Welder Dave

You never mentioned you knew the history of it. That's a big thing to omit. An inflame kit for $1450 seems too cheap. What brand and what does it include? I would think an engine that size could be $10,000 or more to rebuild. Fixing the leaking final drive could be a lot if work too. I don't know if it's worth fixing or not. Used parts are only good if someone needed them. You could be sitting on them for a long time.

Vaughn86

You never mentioned you knew the history of it. That's a big thing to omit. An inflame kit for $1450 seems too cheap. What brand and what does it include? I would think an engine that size could be $10,000 or more to rebuild. Fixing the leaking final drive could be a lot if work too. I don't know if it's worth fixing or not. Used parts are only good if someone needed them. You could be sitting on them for a long time.
I need to ask more questions and I sure don't know what all goes into fixing the final drive. Definitely something I need to research more. They told me the liners would need additional machining so thats additional money too. I just know parts are getting fewer and farther in-between to find

The inframe kit comes from http://www.fabheavyparts.com/
The kit includes:
1 Set of Overhaul Gasket Kit
6 Cylinder Liners
6 Pistons STD
6 Piston Pins
12 Snap Rings
6 Rod Bushings
Set Rings For 6 Pistons STD
1 Set of Main Bearings
1 Set of Rod Bearings
1 Set of Thrust Bearing
6 Intake Valves
6 Exhaust Valves
12 Valve Guides
6 Intake Valves Seats
6 Exhaust Valves Seats
*The cylinder liners in this kit are semi-finished. They require additional machining.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
I've known the family who owns it for well all my life the owner he has passed and his children own it now but my grandfather worked for them many years ago... They have no reason to lie to me.
I can get the machine for $5,000 delivered to my place 15 miles away. I found an inframe kit for $1,450. I know I'd encounter other expenses along the way.

But it sounds like it's not worth that? Maybe I should pass. Even if I don't overhaul the engine I'd thing the yokes, idlers, extra hydraulic cylinders, misc engine parts and maybe some other items would be worth $5,000
Put your good 11k engine in the 14k, the final drive leaking could only be leaking from setting a while. That 14 k undercarriage alone is worth $5000

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I'm 99% sure that the machine pictured above is not a 14X machine. All of the 14X S/N machines that I have seen have a different hyd tank. Also look at the steering pedals. The pedals on the 14X machines pivot up behind the dash vs going down through the floor on the older machines.

Vaughn86

I'm 99% sure that the machine pictured above is not a 14X machine. All of the 14X S/N machines that I have seen have a different hyd tank. Also look at the steering pedals. The pedals on the 14X machines pivot up behind the dash vs going down through the floor on the older machines.
Yes it may not be a 14x I just know it's newer than the 11K4152 machine I have.

Vaughn86

Put your good 11k engine in the 14k, the final drive leaking could only be leaking from setting a while. That 14 k undercarriage alone is worth $5000
I was kinda hoping that might be what the issue is. It has sat for 10 maybe 12 years

Vaughn86

With a 8.5 pitch I would expect a factory ROPS.
I've got so much to learn... I assumed this was a factory ROPS... I guess that explains why nearly everyone I look at they are different. I just assumed factories were switching them up often. It's definitely 8.5" pitch I don't know what serial number the started 8.5" maybe it's one of the first.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Agreed. A factory ROPS canopy was fitted as standard from 11K7500 onwards (although it had been offered as an option from 11K5417), and obviously was fitted to all 14X machines. The !!K prefix machines were badged as an L from 11K3919 along with a power increase from 170 to 190 BHP.

The ROPS in the photo appears to be a later addition. The welding of the supports to the machine frame and on the structure is not factory.

Vaughn86

I've got so much to learn... I assumed this was a factory ROPS... I guess that explains why nearly everyone I look at they are different. I just assumed factories were switching them up often. It's definitely 8.5" pitch I don't know what serial number the started 8.5" maybe it's one of the first.
Agreed. A factory ROPS canopy was fitted as standard from 11K7500 onwards (although it had been offered as an option from 11K5417), and obviously was fitted to all 14X machines. The !!K prefix machines were badged as an L from 11K3919 along with a power increase from 170 to 190 BHP.

The ROPS in the photo appears to be a later addition. The welding of the supports to the machine frame and on the structure is not factory.
Do you know when the 8.5" pitch started?

Vaughn86

I know we measured where the drive sprocket pieces bolt on and that's a larger diameter there and that place is 1" thick verses about 3/4" or fuzz more on my machine