• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Bitta hist'ry.

Deas Plant

Hi, Folks.
Here is a photo that I took on Tuesday right here in the fair city of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, The company that owns these two jiggers has 4 x Cat 660 scrapers running and working locally, with a very nice Cat D10 84W series dozer providing the 'OOOMPH'.

More to come as I re-size them. Enjoy! That's an order. LOL.

Attachments

• Coming round_2s.jpg
    Coming round_2s.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,992

Northart

Cat 660

I always thought the Cat 660 and 657 scrapers were the ultimate in earthmoving. :):usa

Sure liked the 660 for the smooth ride. :)

Too bad Cat quit making them.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Thanks Deas,

The WabcoMan REALLY likes pic's of scrapers - be they conventional, towed or elevating :notworthy

surfer-joe

I have spent a lot of time personally fixing things betwixt the frame rails or otherwise inside something on 84W's. Have also spent a ton of money on the dern things. They are getting pretty long in the tooth to still be working. Course, those 660's are even older.

Gavin84w

Hah!! Great stuff Deas, those contacts must have worked out ok hey!

I was coming up the Hume highway at Coolac yesterday and one of my customers 84W D10,s was ripping sandstone right next to the road on the new alignment so a few minutes was spent listening to the sweet sound of the D348!! I know some on here will laugh at me for that statement but IMO the best tractor Cat have produced and seeing one as a 10 year old in 1977 sure left a mark!

Woops, did i just give away something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deas Plant

Contacts

Hi, Gavin84W.
Yep, those contacts worked just fine. I didn't catch up with Roy 'cos he was away in the office but I have to go up there again on Tuesday and again in about a month so maybe on one of those trips.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy the photos.

surfer-joe

Oh man! Hard hitches! My back hurts just looking at the pictures. Even these 6 wheel monsters get a serious case of buckin bronco on a bad bit of ground. They do look to be well maintained and kept up though. Much better than the ones I saw here last summer.

Northart

Stiff Necks ?

Hi SurferJoe,

I run the Cat 660's quite a bit , when I was young. Never had a problem with the ride. They were stiff necks at that ! Our Lingo .

They had the air valve on the right so you could jack up the front and literally steer with the steering brakes , using it like a 2 wheeler. I never had any trouble pulling in front of the push Cat, or wandering around the borrow pit, to the Pusher.

They rode just as good as the cushion rides in my book. Of course the double enders could go where I couldn't.

They were a very good scraper . :usa

Deas Plant

Not My Sand Pit.

Hi, Trackfanatic.
Sorry. Not MY sand pit. I know the bloke who owns them and worked for him a couple of times 10 or so years ago. He was running Thiess's old 660's in those days and had all 5 of them. Two of those have been sold off, one burnt out and he now has 2 of Hunter Valley Excavations' 660's, making a total of 4 that he owns. He also 'acquired' one of HVE's foremen who has been working with 660's and 666's for a LOTTA years now. I just dropped in there to get a few photos for you bunch of 'photo piranhas' - - - - - - and to tease you a bit. Just try not to drool too much over your keyboard. LOL.

Kenny R

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet pics Deas Plant!!!!!:notworthy Don't stop now- Keep em' coming!:drinkup

Ken

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Look like converted 666's

Deas, these 660's look like they were 666's converted to single engine, you can still see the planetary hubs on the scraper. A pretty common thing years ago. Ebenstiener Co. in southern Ca use to have quite a few of these, last of saw of them was in the mid to late 80's
Cop These.

Deas Plant

666's

Hi, Dug Overburden.
Welkum too ther 4um. Yes, the 2 machines in those photos are ex-666 bowls, You can also see where the engines once were. There are bars over the openings now. The other 2 machines that the same company is running are original 660B's, part of an order of 6 that Thiess Contracting brought into the country back when 660B's were the latest thing in big scraper iron.

Here are 3 more photos for you photo piranhas.

Attachments

• DSC00677.jpg
    DSC00677.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 876
  • DSC00678.jpg
    DSC00678.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 874
  • DSC00679.jpg
    DSC00679.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 874

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Thanks Deas, we can never get enough of these vanishing behemoths!
We want more! We want more! MORE MORE MORE!!!!
he he he.
Alan627B

FatCatGotHot

660s rear wheels

Hi Deas, regarding the hubs of the 660s rear wheels, they don't look like they supposed to be. Looks like they're ballasted in any form.

Great pikkies, by the way!