• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Bitta hist'ry.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Re; 660 rear hubs

These are 666B's with the rear engines removed. The rear planatery's stay & the openings where the engine and drive train were located are closed off. On the really clean conversions you can not tell the differnce other than the hubs.

The machine when running a sinlge engine is now considered a 660. Easy to tell a singled out twin engine is the rear hubs, the factory built singles had a deep dish rear wheel vs the flush axle on a twin machine. Same goes for 657 to be called a 651, 637 to be called a 631, 627 to be called a 621

I ran a Terex S24 that was a singled out TS24 & it still had the longer rear push block(Euclid/Terex TS24 becomes an S24)

Hope this helps
Dug
Hi Deas, regarding the hubs of the 660s rear wheels, they don't look like they supposed to be. Looks like they're ballasted in any form.

Great pikkies, by the way!

Gavin84w

Dug is correct, the tractor is s/n 58K which can also be a 650B. In the case of those bowls and especially the rear hubs, it stands out a bit more on these old girls as during the conversion they have also had some work done to accomadate a different and more readily available size tyre. They have been converted from 37.5 x 51 to 33.00 x 51 as these tyres are everywhere for 150 ton size trucks.

Deas Plant

Rear hubs.

Hi, FatCatGotHot.
Sheesh! And all the time I thought you were over there in the corner asleep. Good point. Dug Overburden is right. Those two bowls once were 666B bowls but have had the rear engines removed and covers placed over the inboard ends of the axle quills to keep oil in them to lubricate the bearings, etc..

The other two machines that the same company has are both original 660B's, not converted 666's.

FatCatGotHot

...asleep?

Hi Deas, no, wasn't asleep. I was working so hard to get the money for a flight to Down Under to see the last 660ers running. LOL Now I've read the whole thread.

Dug, thank you for the good explanation.

Deas Plant

Closer???????????

Hi, FCGH.
I don't wish to discourage tourism to our fair land DownUnder but there are still some 660's and 666's in the U.S.. I think the 4 here in Brisbane are in pretty much permanent work though, which some of the U.S. machines might not be.