• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That's great on the new machine. Its hard ($$$) constantly upgrading, but its the only way forward.

Yeah it's an expensive leap of faith for sure. Never thought I would be into such technology on the job site but it really has changed how we do things. Unfortunately it comes with a high initial cost however it pays for itself 2 fold.

For example our initial base station, rover and full auto on our D3 was $110K which was financed for 2 years with just under a $5K payment per month - ouch. However the 2 years prior to purchasing the system we went through so many laborers I couldn't remember 1/2 of them when the W2's went out last year. It's just hard to find people who are dependable and show up for work. Our metro area is around 3% unemployment rate, it's tough.

A laborer that has the ability to show up every day, capacity to walk and breath at the same time costs around $50K a year total labor burden including onboarding, PPE and training. We have eliminated the need for a human to hold a grade rod, pull a string, set a blue top or read a tape on 90% of our jobs with GPS. So the tech pays for itself rather quickly.

The difference in tech between our current 325FL and this Next Gen 325 is like a flip phone compared to the latest iPhone. This machine has the ability to go full auto on the last pass of a ditch to a perfect sub-grade then spread bedding to it's desired depth. It should take most of the work off a pipe layer and save over excavation and bedding over runs. That right there is going to save thousands in one year.

Full auto GPS on a 325 Next Gen is around $65K with the latest receivers. That doesn't not include a base station and rover which we already have. Fairly reasonable for what it can do IMO.

The next step for us is getting more into the office side of things building models, adjusting models and pushing data to and from the field. Trimble Business Center is expensive and complicated software for an old dog like myself to learn but we can do it.

Never thought I would say it in my lifetime much less in my working career but we'll have autonomous machines one day and it will be sooner than I ever imagined.

cfherrman

50k a year in wages seem exceedingly low. There's always differences in areas and job type but the 2 guys I just put on and 1 has zero experience will make 72k a year each.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
50k a year in wages seem exceedingly low. There's always differences in areas and job type but the 2 guys I just put on and 1 has zero experience will make 72k a year each.

Different areas and different cost of living.

savman

Sweet looking machine.

I guess you haven't taken delivery yet?

I wonder how it will do on fuel and power compared to the 325f?

Another thing I have wondered...if you look at the specs of a 323 vs 325; they're listed as having the same hp....but the 323 has a 7.1 vs a 4.4 in the 325.....no way they are burning the same fuel...right?

I'm due for an upgrade myself and I've toyed with the idea of a 323 and I'll still have the 321 for tight spots.....idk

One thing that stood out to me, is you've said the 325f is stronger and burns less fuel than the 321; I wonder if the nextgen will be even more fuel efficient.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Sweet looking machine.

I guess you haven't taken delivery yet?

I wonder how it will do on fuel and power compared to the 325f?

Another thing I have wondered...if you look at the specs of a 323 vs 325; they're listed as having the same hp....but the 323 has a 7.1 vs a 4.4 in the 325.....no way they are burning the same fuel...right?

I'm due for an upgrade myself and I've toyed with the idea of a 323 and I'll still have the 321 for tight spots.....idk

One thing that stood out to me, is you've said the 325f is stronger and burns less fuel than the 321; I wonder if the nextgen will be even more fuel efficient.

Thanks.

Dealer has to order the med pressure parts and install which will take a couple of weeks.

We're expecting the next gen to be better on fuel than the F but who knows. As long as it's comparable it's fine with me.

Interesting thing is the cooling fans are all electric and one thing I really like is the ability to check the engine oil at ground level on the passenger side. No more climbing up and down, something to think about when you get older. :D

After having reduced swing machines for so long we're not interested in a conventional tail for our production hoes. If we had a dedicated pit machine or one feeding a crusher sure but not for what we do on a day to day basis.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well when I retired in 2015 if I had worked a straight 40 work week for 52 weeks I would have made just under $53,000.00. That's after working for the company since 1968!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

The one and only time I've been to Kansas was 35 years ago as a kid in the back seat of an '88 Ford Bronco so I have no idea of your local conditions.

However I do know our labor market well after being in business for over 25 years. We start our laborers out at $20 an hour which is a little over the average rate here.

A quick search appears that $20 is a similar going rate in your area as well for construction laborers but like I said don't know if that's low, high or what -

$20 an hour comes to around $42K in regular time with vacation pay. Add WC, GL and tax overhead it roughly comes to $50K for conversations sake. Now our new employees will be eligible for health insurance, matching retirement savings and PTO after the probation period which adds to their labor burden.

Oxbow

Thanks.

Dealer has to order the med pressure parts and install which will take a couple of weeks.

We're expecting the next gen to be better on fuel than the F but who knows. As long as it's comparable it's fine with me.

Interesting thing is the cooling fans are all electric and one thing I really like is the ability to check the engine oil at ground level on the passenger side. No more climbing up and down, something to think about when you get older. :D

After having reduced swing machines for so long we're not interested in a conventional tail for our production hoes. If we had a dedicated pit machine or one feeding a crusher sure but not for what we do on a day to day basis.
Yeah, that ground check dipstick is a nice feature, except on our 330 the tube is so flat that oil collects in it. Even after wiping it off and re-checking it picks up oil from the tube and doesn't show the actual oil level.

One feature that is programmable that we really like is the auto shutdown. We often need to get out and discuss things, which sometimes leads to a 15 minute trip along the job. It's nice to have the machine shut down after 3 minutes, and you can put a 30 minute delay on the GPS shutting down so you don't have to re-boot that when starting again.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Yeah, that ground check dipstick is a nice feature, except on our 330 the tube is so flat that oil collects in it. Even after wiping it off and re-checking it picks up oil from the tube and doesn't show the actual oil level.

One feature that is programmable that we really like is the auto shutdown. We often need to get out and discuss things, which sometimes leads to a 15 minute trip along the job. It's nice to have the machine shut down after 3 minutes, and you can put a 30 minute delay on the GPS shutting down so you don't have to re-boot that when starting again.

Thanks for that intel OxBow. We'll have to verify the oil dipstick on the new 325 to see if it has the same issue. Kinda bummed if it does.

Really like the auto shutdown feature on the newer machines. Idle time is a killer on the emissions system and the value of the machine. Like you (and I've done it too) we have to stop to discuss something or take a delivery and forget the machine has been idling for 15-20 mins.

Can you program it per operator profile or is it one setting? For instance when we are laying pipe the tractor might idle for 5-10 mins while the pipe layer is adjusting a manhole or checking grade and we don't want the machine to shut down. Just wondering if you could have operator profile Bob excavating and profile Bob pipe laying with different shut down times.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Willie we've been running those 2 buckets on the 325FL for 4 years. The 48" is a perfect size for loading trucks and general excavating. And I had a brain fart on the 36" as it's actually a 30" that we do use for trenching and demo work. A 30" bucket with side cutters leaves roughly a 36" trench which most of the pipe we install is 24" and smaller.

There is a capacity difference on buckets relative to machine size. A 48" bucket for a 336 can have more CY capacity than the 48" for a 325.

The new machine came with a 48" which we will not be buying.

View attachment 289704

Yes sir, a 30" bucket with side cutters, that's an excellent trenching bucket on a 250 class, even with the occasional iron heads (we'll not use the local term) that you run across.

skyking1

I keep it at 3 minutes for 9 months of the year on the mini, but for the cold 3 I turn it off and manage it. 3 minutes is not a sufficient warm up IMO.
It would be nice if they had a programmable cancel button for those chilly mornings.

DGODGR

Is it an optical illusion, or is the emergency over flow lower than the top of the outlet control structure?
36 and 48, those are big buckets, even for a 250 class. I suppose the 36 could be used for trenching on a 250, but that 48, that's for mass excavator loading trucks from a pile. Just my guess though.
I have a 48" Extreme duty CAT bucket on my 325 NG. It has a 1.56 yd capacity (YAY!) and is very stout! The machine handles it well, and it is our primary bucket. I also bought a 24" for trenching. I have a 30" trenching bucket for the Deere 245G (along with a 48" bucket as primary for that machine as well) and I thought having a 24" would be good to have in the fleet as well. My opinion may change someday, but so far, I wish I would have gotten another 30", or maybe even 36", instead of the 24". I can swap buckets between the Cat and the Deere so I won't be spending any money to change that anytime soon.
Reduced tail swing machines are getting pretty fat in the posterior. 325 is 28 metric tons these days. I'm not sure if it's from tonnage creep or it's the old 328 were renumbered.
I work on residential lots with lots of trees, and other possible obstructions, and having a zero tail (Deere 245G), and the Cat 325NG (hangs over about 9") are key for us. I can get those big machines where my little 315CL would struggle to work efficiently, and the biiger machines are much better in the hard rock excavation that we do. The other tghing that you get with the zero/reduced tail machine is that it is alsi tighter on the front side as well. Meaning that the boom and bucket can be brought in closer to the machine center as well.
My Cat 325 NextGen scaled in at 65,000# with long undercarriage, extra heavy counter weight (weighs 18k#), and the 48" extreme duty bucket. I had the delivery driver go across scales before and after delivery, the day I took possession. It probably weighs even more now that it has had about 900 hours of dust added to it (LOL).
Yeah it's an expensive leap of faith for sure. Never thought I would be into such technology on the job site but it really has changed how we do things. Unfortunately it comes with a high initial cost however it pays for itself 2 fold.

For example our initial base station, rover and full auto on our D3 was $110K which was financed for 2 years with just under a $5K payment per month - ouch. However the 2 years prior to purchasing the system we went through so many laborers I couldn't remember 1/2 of them when the W2's went out last year. It's just hard to find people who are dependable and show up for work. Our metro area is around 3% unemployment rate, it's tough.

A laborer that has the ability to show up every day, capacity to walk and breath at the same time costs around $50K a year total labor burden including onboarding, PPE and training. We have eliminated the need for a human to hold a grade rod, pull a string, set a blue top or read a tape on 90% of our jobs with GPS. So the tech pays for itself rather quickly.

The difference in tech between our current 325FL and this Next Gen 325 is like a flip phone compared to the latest iPhone. This machine has the ability to go full auto on the last pass of a ditch to a perfect sub-grade then spread bedding to it's desired depth. It should take most of the work off a pipe layer and save over excavation and bedding over runs. That right there is going to save thousands in one year.

Full auto GPS on a 325 Next Gen is around $65K with the latest receivers. That doesn't not include a base station and rover which we already have. Fairly reasonable for what it can do IMO.

The next step for us is getting more into the office side of things building models, adjusting models and pushing data to and from the field. Trimble Business Center is expensive and complicated software for an old dog like myself to learn but we can do it.

Never thought I would say it in my lifetime much less in my working career but we'll have autonomous machines one day and it will be sooner than I ever imagined.
I used lack of decent labor force as rationale for buying my 325NG as well. I've still never used the "Auto Grade" feature, but we do use our 2D system with laser catch. BTW, the laser catch does not come standard. It costs extra. I found that to be a bit silly when paying $275k for machine that CAT markets as being standard with a 2D system.
Thanks.

I didn't see the "third" group (for tilt/rotate, or "grapple" to quote you) that you mentioned in your post with the photo. I see the ones that run down the front of the dipper (under the bucket ram), but on my 325, those are used for the bucket coupler. I'll see of I can find a photo showing this.
Thanks for that intel OxBow. We'll have to verify the oil dipstick on the new 325 to see if it has the same issue. Kinda bummed if it does.

Really like the auto shutdown feature on the newer machines. Idle time is a killer on the emissions system and the value of the machine. Like you (and I've done it too) we have to stop to discuss something or take a delivery and forget the machine has been idling for 15-20 mins.

Can you program it per operator profile or is it one setting? For instance when we are laying pipe the tractor might idle for 5-10 mins while the pipe layer is adjusting a manhole or checking grade and we don't want the machine to shut down. Just wondering if you could have operator profile Bob excavating and profile Bob pipe laying with different shut down times.
I love not having to climb the machine to check fluids as well. Good job Cat! One can also check hydraulic oil (same compartment as engine oil dipstick), and anti-freeze (same compartment as the battery disconnect) from the ground. You still have to climb it to fuel it though. The climb is better than my Deere 245G though. My engine oil dip stick does not collect oil in it so I have no issues checking the level. I woud think that one could easily do a field modification (bend it up slightly) to take care of this. At least one could on the 325NG, but I'm not familiar with the 330NG. I hope that your machine doesn't have excessive blow-by OxBow.

Machine auto-shut down is a feature that I like, but I have found some negatives as well. The machine will shut itself off after it goes through the "warm up cycle". I usually go start other machines, or go do paper work, set up laser, etc., while it goes through the warm up. If I get back to the machine after it has turned itself off, it often wants you to put it through the warm up cycle all over again. For sure, one has the option to cancel that request, but then I wonder if I may be harming the machuine by running it before it reaches operating temp (Which is what I was told by the Cat training rep who gave us the intro to the machine when it was delivered). I find this to be annoying. Furthermore, I do a lot of attachment swaps (hammer, crusher, ho-pac) and the machine will often shut down during the swap. I also find this a little bit annoying. First world problems for sure (LOL). OH!...My shut off timer is not operator specific, it's set for the machine regardless of which operator signs in.
On edit: My Deere 245G also has auto-shut off but, for some reason, it won't shut down from first start up. Maybe it "knows" not to during warm up?

Last edited:

DGODGR

img_5087-jpeg.289690

Above is your machine. Below is mine. If you zoom in to mine you will see that it has the same lines as yours does. On mine, the lines on the front of the stick are used to operate the coupler.
IMG_3951.JPG

Speaking of couplers, I'm glad to hear that you will be keeping the one from the F model. I have still not had any failures on my OEM coupler (although it would not operate when new and had to be taken apart twice by CAT dealer to get it working), it still makes a loud "pop", or "bang" when you open it. I don't like this!

I'm excited to see you making the move to the NG! It will be nice to have someone else (here on HEF) who has one and may be a resource. I would be interested in conversation about what may have changed since I bought (12/21), including price,options, etc. I will PM.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Is it an optical illusion, or is the emergency over flow lower than the top of the outlet control structure?

The spillway is .75' above the OCS. This is not the way I would design a detention pond but then again we don't get paid to design just install. :cool:

I used lack of decent labor force as rationale for buying my 325NG as well. I've still never used the "Auto Grade" feature, but we do use our 2D system with laser catch. BTW, the laser catch does not come standard. It costs extra. I found that to be a bit silly when paying $275k for machine that CAT markets as being standard with a 2D system.

This one is coming with full auto Trimble GPS. Actually waiting on the newest receivers for the machine. Full auto has worked so well on our D3 that it was just a matter of time to get the system on a 325.

I didn't see the "third" group (for tilt/rotate, or "grapple" to quote you) that you mentioned in your post with the photo. I see the ones that run down the front of the dipper (under the bucket ram), but on my 325, those are used for the bucket coupler. I'll see of I can find a photo showing this.

This machine doesn't have the 3rd line installed yet. Dealer ordered all the parts this week. I think the kit comes with new joysticks with extra tool buttons but I'm not sure. Basically the 3rd medium pressure line is the rotate function for a grapple or multi-processor. When a job comes up to warrant a multi-processor I'm buying one. Wanted to have the machine ready for one and the best and cheapest time to do that is when you're negotiating the purchase and the machine is nice, new and clean.

img_5087-jpeg.289690

Above is your machine. Below is mine. If you zoom in to mine you will see that it has the same lines as yours does. On mine, the lines on the front of the stick are used to operate the coupler.
View attachment 290128

Speaking of couplers, I'm glad to hear that you will be keeping the one from the F model. I have still not had any failures on my OEM coupler (although it would not operate when new and had to be taken apart twice by CAT dealer to get it working), it still makes a loud "pop", or "bang" when you open it. I don't like this!

I'm excited to see you making the move to the NG! It will be nice to have someone else (here on HEF) who has one and may be a resource. I would be interested in conversation about what may have changed since I bought (12/21), including price,options, etc. I will PM.

Our machines look to the be the same. Yours is plumbed a little different for the hydraulic thumb which we will not have. Small lines down the stick will run our coupler.

Are those Stucchi quick couplers? If so how have they held up?

The third line will look something like this - took this at Conexpo in March. This was a 330 or 336 IIRC.

IMG_4532.jpeg

I really saw no reason to buy a new QC and since the K series teeth can be bought aftermarket we're paying 1/2 the price to put new dentures on the buckets so I didn't want the new Cat tooth style.

Machine without GPS was $277K with no QC or bucket however that includes a manual thumb at $7K and the medium pressure line which was a $15K dealer installed option. So the machine with bare stick was around $255K for comparison. In 2018 our 325FL was $212K IIRC.

Once we get it I'd like to chat about the 2. I'll have to pull rank and get some seat time though.:D

DGODGR

The spillway is .75' above the OCS. This is not the way I would design a detention pond but then again we don't get paid to design just install. :cool:

This one is coming with full auto Trimble GPS. Actually waiting on the newest receivers for the machine. Full auto has worked so well on our D3 that it was just a matter of time to get the system on a 325.

This machine doesn't have the 3rd line installed yet. Dealer ordered all the parts this week. I think the kit comes with new joysticks with extra tool buttons but I'm not sure. Basically the 3rd medium pressure line is the rotate function for a grapple or multi-processor. When a job comes up to warrant a multi-processor I'm buying one. Wanted to have the machine ready for one and the best and cheapest time to do that is when you're negotiating the purchase and the machine is nice, new and clean.

Our machines look to the be the same. Yours is plumbed a little different for the hydraulic thumb which we will not have. Small lines down the stick will run our coupler.

Are those Stucchi quick couplers? If so how have they held up?

The third line will look something like this - took this at Conexpo in March. This was a 330 or 336 IIRC.

I really saw no reason to buy a new QC and since the K series teeth can be bought aftermarket we're paying 1/2 the price to put new dentures on the buckets so I didn't want the new Cat tooth style.

Machine without GPS was $277K with no QC or bucket however that includes a manual thumb at $7K and the medium pressure line which was a $15K dealer installed option. So the machine with bare stick was around $255K for comparison. In 2018 our 325FL was $212K IIRC.

Once we get it I'd like to chat about the 2. I'll have to pull rank and get some seat time though.:D