• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

DGODGR

I haven't been on HEF much since it went through it's last remodel. I'd have to say that I don't see how to quote parts of a post separately (i.e. replying to individual paragraphs, sentences, or photos) like we used to be able to. I hope that someone can show me how as I am going to only reply to certain comments within CM's last post, and don't want to re-post the whole thing to do so.

CM1995:
This one is coming with full auto Trimble GPS. Actually waiting on the newest receivers for the machine. Full auto has worked so well on our D3 that it was just a matter of time to get the system on a 325.

Me:
I hope that it works well for you. As I'm sure you know, those systems have been around for dozers for quite some time now, and as far as machine control goes, only have to deal with the up and down of the blade. Furthermore, the excavators have a lot more moving axes, so I would imagine it would be much harder to make the system work well. I may have pulled the trigger but my jobs are in very remote locations (can't relly on cell reception) and there are lots of trees and mountains to interfere with satellite reception too.

CM1995:
Are those Stucchi quick couplers? If so, how have they held up?

Me:
Yes, those are Stucchi couplers. As you may recall from another thread, I have had a lot of issues with them. The ones in the last photo are "-17" size (Stucchi reference for 1"), and I had a lot of them fail. So far, it seems that a lot of my issues might be due to the fact that the machine is equipped with a thumb, and routing the auxiliary hoses, from the end of the hard line, to the attachment is difficult because of how wide the thumb is, and the location of the end of the hard line relevant to the dog bone link. In th epast I have resorted to using 90's between the attachment side of the Stucchi, and the hydraulic hose of the attachment. After several conversations with Stucchi, they felt as though it boiled down to (2) possible issues. First, that the angle fitting was so close to the Stucchi coupler, that the turbulence it caused was cutting the seals in it. Next, they thought it might be because the GPM was above what the -17's were rated for (by only a GPM or two). This was only true for the crusher, not for the hammer, or ho-pac, and I only observed seal failures while using the hammer and ho-pac (Odd!). Ultimately, I removed the dipper hardlines on both the 325 and the 245G. On the 325 we installed shorter hoses, and on the Deere we found shorter Deere hardlines. I had a local hydraulic shop quote me to build new, shorter hard lines for the 325 but they were way to expensive ($2,700 IIRC). My CAT delaer installed the hoses at no charge (and let me keep the original hardlines too!). Thank you Wagner Equipment!!! Now that I have more distance to get around the thumb, we have eliminated the 90's. I also upsized the couplers to "-21" (Stucchi jargine for 1-1/4"). This was a substantial investment. It also required that I re-mount the dipper lines farther away from the dipper to make room for the larger diameter of the coupler. So far, I have not yet had any failures since taking both of those measures. We didn't get this completed until spring so the jury is still out as we haven't even had a full season on them since we made the changes. I will, however, say that we didn't space the lines farther out from the dipper on the Deere yet and, while the -21's do fit, they are a PIA to swap out because my fingers don't fit between the coupler and the dipper. This makes them hard to put on and take off since there is a fair amount of threads to cover.

CM1995:
Machine without GPS was $277K with no QC or bucket however that includes a manual thumb at $7K and the medium pressure line which was a $15K dealer installed option. So the machine with bare stick was around $255K for comparison. In 2018 our 325FL was $212K IIRC.

Me:
As I recall it, my 325 purchase included the 18k# counterweight, hydraulic thumb, hydraulic bucket coupler, 24" and 48" severe duty CAT buckets, the laser catch (machine mounted receiver), auxiliary lines, high ambient cooling package, (3) foot pedals (traditional two, and a single F&R pedal as well). I purchased in December of '21, in S/W CO, for $274K. I bought my Deere 245G (similarly equipped but w/o any of the 2D machine control, e-fence, scales, etc.) for $254k in 2017.
In comparison, the 325 is more comfortable, has MUCH more room in the cab, has A/C that actually will keep the cab cool (which is nice), but also the super structure has more room which makes it easier to service, and also allows one to carry tools, teeth, and even fluids if you want. It also is the machine of choice if the digging gets hard. On the other hand, the 245G is a true "zero tail". Having a zero tail is great! "If the tracks fit, the tail won't hit" (when on flat ground anyway). The Deere is smoother, faster, and is much easier to modulate. I think that Deere/Hitachi really had the hydraulics sorted out well. Of course, the 245 is still hydraulic pilot control. Even still, the Deere is smoother than any CAT pilot controlled I've run as well.

CM1995 (I'm paraphrasing):
I kept the buckets from the F machine because I can get K style teeth in the aftermarket at half the price.

Me:
No sense in buying buckets unless one can realize an expense overiding benefit. I have had good luck with my K style teeth. I have lost many J style but I have never had a K style tooth fall off. When I have mentioned this to others in the past, I have had many complain about loosing K style teeth. I went with the CAT Advansys teeth for my 325. I liked the idea of the quarter turn retention system. I have not yet lost, or broken a tooth. To that end, I have always had CAT teeth perform very well. This only happened to me once, but I did break a CAT tiger tooth. When I went to replace it, CAT gave me a new for free under warranty. It was explained to me that CAT teeth are warranted against breaking. Regardless, I have penetration plus teeth and they are the original teeth that were delivered with the machine. Now, I only have 900 hours on the machine so far, but the teeth have gone that long as well. Mind you, I am working in solid rock, shot rock, crushed rock, with boulders, etc. (only a small amount of dirt), and they have gone 900 hours so far. I did buy a set recently to have on hand when the originals are done. The (6) teeth required for my 48" bucket were expensive. IIRC they were $125 each. Still, at .75 per hour (I assume that they will likely make it to 1,000 hrs), in the worst conditions possible, I think that's a value. I would assume that they may go to 1,300, or 1,400 hours if only going through dirt. I would love to hear about aftermarket success stories. What is your experience with teeth? Do you know how many hours your getting, and/or cost per hour (You seem like the kind of person who would)? From your thread, it seems like you are mostly in dirt with occasional rock. Is that how you would describe it?

SAVMAN:
I wonder how it will do on fuel and power compared to the 325f?
Another thing I have wondered...if you look at the specs of a 323 vs 325; they're listed as having the same hp....but the 323 has a 7.1 vs a 4.4 in the 325.....no way they are burning the same fuel...right?
I'm due for an upgrade myself and I've toyed with the idea of a 323 and I'll still have the 321 for tight spots.....idk
One thing that stood out to me, is you've said the 325f is stronger and burns less fuel than the 321; I wonder if the nextgen will be even more fuel efficient.

Me:
In my experience, 6 cylinders will burn more fuel than 4. I have an '03 CAT 315c with a 6 cylinder Mitsubishi engine. When I bought the machine new, the 6 banger was one of the benefits in my mind (all the other competitors, save for Volvo) had 4 cyl engines). The 315c (tier 2 @ 110 hp) burns about 40 gallons if digging a full day. By comparison, my 2017 Deere 245G has a 4 cylinder Isuzu engine (tier 4 @ 159 hp) burns the same 40 gallons if digging a full day.
I haven't looked that closely at fuel consumption on the CAT 325. I think it would be about the same as the Deere but my impression is that it might consume a bit more. This makes sense if the CAT is rated at 172 hp vs Deere's 159 hp. I thought that I had heard (maybe from my sales rep) that CAT was putting Fiat 4 cylinder engines in the F model 325's. Can anyone verify that? Is that still true with the NG 325's? Please don't report back with "It says CAT right on the motor, so it must be made by CAT"! Cat has been putting their name on Perkins, Mitsubishi, Kubota, etc., etc, for decades. I have heard nothing but good things about the Izusu 4cyl, but nothing about Fiat's. I certainly don't feel warm and fuzzy with the idea of a Fiat engine in my 325. That's probably due to what I saw growing up. Fiat cars were not very reliable, so I have observed that I don't have much faith in the brand.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Now, I only have 900 hours on the machine so far, but the teeth have gone that long as well. Mind you, I am working in solid rock, shot rock, crushed rock, with boulders, etc. (only a small amount of dirt), and they have gone 900 hours so far. I did buy a set recently to have on hand when the originals are done. The (6) teeth required for my 48" bucket were expensive. IIRC they were $125 each. Still, at .75 per hour (I assume that they will likely make it to 1,000 hrs), in the worst conditions possible, I think that's a value. I would assume that they may go to 1,300, or 1,400 hours if only going through dirt. I would love to hear about aftermarket success stories. What is your experience with teeth? Do you know how many hours your getting, and/or cost per hour (You seem like the kind of person who would)? From your thread, it seems like you are mostly in dirt with occasional rock. Is that how you would describe it?

Wow - we have never gotten 900 hours on a set of teeth, the most we have ever gotten has been around 250.

Had a project back in 2004-6 that was some of the most abrasive chert I've ever dug in. No BS we had to swap the teeth around every other day to wear evenly and replace weekly. Had a 315CL and rented 325CL for several months making an over 30' cut for a town home development. Bought a new D6N in the later part of that project and wore the grousers out in 5-600 hrs doing the final grading. That's how abrasive this stuff is. This material was also some of the heaviest material we've ever moved weighing in around 128 PCF. You could dump it out, spread it 12" thick and roll over it a couple of times with a 953C and achieve 95% compaction. Great material but it came with a price.

As I've said before where I am located is very diverse geologically which brings us a mixed bag when putting a bucket in the ground. The reason the steel industry sprung up in Birmingham was its central location to limestone, coal, iron ore and sand all within a short distance..

That being said our soil conditions range from chert and clay to limestone and sandstone. More than once a large grading outfit from out of state comes in and grabs a big project only to leave with their tail dragging.

Brad Cole out of GA came in for a 1M SF DC several years ago where the site was probably the worst chert we have to dig in, I haven't seen them back since. Eutaw out of MS was low bid on a large local high school in the same chert seam that ate their lunch. They originally brought in tractor pull pans which we locals that new the site laughed so hard it hurt.

A large road building outfit out of Montgomery was awarded another 1M SF DC pad next to the Brad Cole project. My local Cat dealer is in the same industrial park so I road by when they were starting up to see them offloading their 627's and push Cats. I literally LOL'd in the truck. Went back through a week or so later and the 627's were gone and they were assembling a huge Liebherr mining shovel and some Cat rock trucks.

Rambled through all of that to say the tooth wear depends on the material we are digging in, which changes from site to site quite drastically. So I don't really have a general cost per HR as it constantly changes. We also do a fair amount of asphalt and concrete demo which wears the teeth differently.

What I've found out is the grey and blue rock in the coal beds are soft and not very abrasive. We have a red chert that's naturally fractured that makes a fantastic road base as it also has ribbons of sandy clay. The nastiest stuff we have is a whitish pink chert. The 2 projects above were this white/pink chert. It's incredibly abrasive.

DGODGR

Wow - we have never gotten 900 hours on a set of teeth, the most we have ever gotten has been around 250.

Had a project back in 2004-6 that was some of the most abrasive chert I've ever dug in. No BS we had to swap the teeth around every other day to wear evenly and replace weekly. Had a 315CL and rented 325CL for several months making an over 30' cut for a town home development. Bought a new D6N in the later part of that project and wore the grousers out in 5-600 hrs doing the final grading. That's how abrasive this stuff is. This material was also some of the heaviest material we've ever moved weighing in around 128 PCF. You could dump it out, spread it 12" thick and roll over it a couple of times with a 953C and achieve 95% compaction. Great material but it came with a price.

As I've said before where I am located is very diverse geologically which brings us a mixed bag when putting a bucket in the ground. The reason the steel industry sprung up in Birmingham was its central location to limestone, coal, iron ore and sand all within a short distance..

That being said our soil conditions range from chert and clay to limestone and sandstone. More than once a large grading outfit from out of state comes in and grabs a big project only to leave with their tail dragging.

Brad Cole out of GA came in for a 1M SF DC several years ago where the site was probably the worst chert we have to dig in, I haven't seen them back since. Eutaw out of MS was low bid on a large local high school in the same chert seam that ate their lunch. They originally brought in tractor pull pans which we locals that new the site laughed so hard it hurt.

A large road building outfit out of Montgomery was awarded another 1M SF DC pad next to the Brad Cole project. My local Cat dealer is in the same industrial park so I road by when they were starting up to see them offloading their 627's and push Cats. I literally LOL'd in the truck. Went back through a week or so later and the 627's were gone and they were assembling a huge Liebherr mining shovel and some Cat rock trucks.

Rambled through all of that to say the tooth wear depends on the material we are digging in, which changes from site to site quite drastically. So I don't really have a general cost per HR as it constantly changes. We also do a fair amount of asphalt and concrete demo which wears the teeth differently.

What I've found out is the grey and blue rock in the coal beds are soft and not very abrasive. We have a red chert that's naturally fractured that makes a fantastic road base as it also has ribbons of sandy clay. The nastiest stuff we have is a whitish pink chert. The 2 projects above were this white/pink chert. It's incredibly abrasive.
What is chert? Is it a layer of super compressed sea shells?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
What is chert? Is it a layer of super compressed sea shells?

Sort of our chert here is quartz with sandy clay seams in it. I have found sea shells and even geodes over the years. There is also an abundance of limestone in this area. There are several cement kilns however the calcium carbonate coming out of the lime kilns is used in everything from chicken feed to make the shells harder to toothpaste.

We were building a town home project where the 3 story units backed up to a hill with a basement wall in the back and then a 10' retainer wall beyond that for a small back yard. Ran into a seam of white sand in the chert about 3' deep along the footing bottom. This sand looked like the white sand one would see down on the Gulf Coast. One and only time I have ever ran into that.

Some of the better chert is a rusty orange and it's naturally fractured when dug from a pit into pieces the size of your hand down to fines. Some of the not so great chert has more red fat clay seams than rock and sand which makes it difficult to deal with in winter. The highly abrasive chert is the whitish/pink variety. This variety has more quartz content. Some of the rocks have visible clear quartz crystals.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We call chert here flint. Quartz base, is like hard layers of glass and erosive on steels. Seen a large solid piece puncture a aged loader bucket.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I haven't been on HEF much since it went through it's last remodel. I'd have to say that I don't see how to quote parts of a post separately (i.e. replying to individual paragraphs, sentences, or photos) like we used to be able to. I hope that someone can show me how as I am going to only reply to certain comments within CM's last post, and don't want to re-post the whole thing to do so.

I thought that I had heard (maybe from my sales rep) that CAT was putting Fiat 4 cylinder engines in the F model 325's. Can anyone verify that?

DF to quote a reply just hit the + Quote button on any post you want to include and it shows up in the reply box at the bottom of the page. You can edit text in the quoted post as well like I did on yours above.

As far as I know the C4.4, which is in a lot of Cat equipment is a Mitsubishi variant although might be wrong on that. The engine has been trouble free unlike the DEF sensors and EGR valve.

I do know the little 3.3 liter in our 279D's are Kubotas.

DGODGR

DF to quote a reply just hit the + Quote button on any post you want to include and it shows up in the reply box at the bottom of the page. You can edit text in the quoted post as well like I did on yours above.
Got it. I was able to delete the part that wasn't germane to my reply. Thanks!
Now, What if I want to reply to different comments, individually, that are contained in the same post? Will I have to +Quote (Multi quote) the same post, and delete the parts that I'm not replying to, for each comment within that post?
Sorry if I'm off topic. Feel free to refer me to the correct thread to make this inquiry.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Got it. I was able to delete the part that wasn't germane to my reply. Thanks!
Now, What if I want to reply to different comments, individually, that are contained in the same post? Will I have to +Quote (Multi quote) the same post, and delete the parts that I'm not replying to, for each comment within that post?
Sorry if I'm off topic. Feel free to refer me to the correct thread to make this inquiry.

No worries. The easiest thing to do is click the 3 dots to the right of the pic icon in the reply box.

HEF 1.jpg

Then the " drops down and click it. That will put whatever you type in a quote.

It will look like this with no user name on the quote

What I find easiest is to quote whomever it is then cut the parts out I want to comment on then quote the remainder of their reply. The user name will not be on the quote but it's understood.

hvy 1ton

Now, What if I want to reply to different comments, individually, that are contained in the same post?
Select/highlight the text block you want to quote and a context menu will pop up at the end of the text block with Quote and Reply.
1689559245704.png
Quote will add the selected text to your reply. Reply will add the the selected text to your reply and take you to the bottom of the page and put the cursor in the text box.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As the sand box turns -

Ran into 3 issues on the big orange home improvement store.

First being the existing storm line was not 36" rather 18", how the surveyors missed that is beyond me as the inlets are accessible. Local contact took all the RCP.

Jun-26-2023 (3).jpg

Second being an 8" fire loop the surveyors also missed that runs parallel to the existing storm line we removed. Problem is the 8" fire line is right in the flow line of the end of proposed storm line right in front of the 325. Old storm line trench backfilled on the left and live 8" fire line on the right spot painted blue.

IMG_5116.jpeg

Third issue is the poor soil conditions under the proposed footing. The new footing is just to the left of the existing storm line we removed in the pic above.

Since the live 8" fire main was so close we had to backfill as we removed the existing 18" RCP. The trench kept falling in and ground water was around 5'.

Jun-26-2023 (2).jpg

Still waiting on the dirt docs to come up with a solution on the undercut under the footing. So we removed the last inlet, installed the new one and buttoned the site up.

Jul-7-2023 (1).jpg

Not the way we like to leave a site but it was the best we could do considering the circumstances.

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Fortunately we had a small retail coffee project (not the green kind) that just got permitted when the issues came up at the home improvement store project. So we moved on to it. 321, 279D 01, D3 and 533 were available so they were mobilized to the site. It's nice to have spare equipment to spread across jobs.

Small, very small (875 SF building) drive thru only coffee project close to home and not far from 2 projects we completed several years ago. Both are upthread buried somewhere in the pages.

New commercial development with several national chains in the mix. Not our commie in the pic but ya'll know that. :D

IMG_5134.jpeg

Day 1 clean up and rough cut of the site after getting GPS localized. Hotel being built next door.

IMG_5144.jpeg

Lunch if you like roast beef is just next door.

IMG_5173.jpeg

Tiny building pad to grade and blading out the parking lot.

IMG_5176.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A little R&R on the Black Warrior River in one our favorite campgrounds on one of our favorite spots. If you want one of the few spots on the river they have to be reserved 6 months in advance when the reservation banks open online.

IMG_5155.jpeg

We've had a lot of rain just like the rest of the East Coast so the river is not at full pool but pretty high. This brings logs and debris down which the egrets catch a free ride to fish on. Pretty cool to watch.

IMG_5156.jpeg

It never, ever gets old watching the tugs pushing the barges up and down the river.

IMG_5165.jpeg

If you wave at the boat the captain he'll hit the air horn and we all feel like 10 years old again for just a second - or two. ;)

IMG_5168 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back at the tiny coffee shop.

Storm drain going in. Mainline line is 18" CL III RCP from the detention pond to a yard inlet, junction box with roof leader branch and on to a double wing curb inlet in the front drivethru.

18" RCP outflow into the pond. A slope paved headwall will be poured around the pipe. Personally I hate them and would rather set a pre-cast headwall but it's what the engineer designed. We'll sub this out to a concrete company a friend of mine has.

IMG_5266.jpeg

Yard inlet outside of the drive thru curb. There are 2 flumes from the side and rear parking lots that dump into this yard inlet.

325 FL is still up in north AL at the home store project so we pulled the 321DLCR out of retirement once again and like always she shined. Love this machine.

IMG_5207 (1).jpeg

More 18" RCP from the yard inlet to the junction box where the line turns in order to run to the double wing inlet at the end of the line.

View attachment 290982

Soil conditions changed on the last run of the line from a brown silt clay to a very hard gray/black clay. Bought a brand new set of penetrator plus knock offs for this project.

View attachment 290983

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Continuing on with the storm install.

End of the line double wing inlet. This line and inlet were so shallow we had to lower the inlet .4' in order to get .33' or 4" thick worth of concrete on the throat.

IMG_5218.jpeg

8" A2000 PVC roof leader main line from the junction box to the rear of the building branching off to two individual 4" roof leaders.

IMG_5236.jpeg

8x4 tee the 8 to 4 bushing to break the main line down to the two 4". Had surveyors set building corners in order to line of the stubs. Hubs are to outside of siding and super wanted 1.5-2" off the building. Yes sir.

IMG_5235.jpeg

IMG_5237.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Wrapped up for now, we'll come back to put the parking lot to final grade and backfill curbs.

IMG_5260.jpeg

Double wing inlet with Silt Saver and a check dam made from some extra #2 stone in order to keep the wash off the silt fence and out of the Arby's parking lot.

IMG_5257.jpeg

Roof leaders at the rear of the building backfilled and cleaned up.

IMG_5263.jpeg

Junction box backfilled and graded around. We like to leave the parking lot on grade when we leave even though it's hammered by the other trades during construction.

IMG_5264.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
@CM1995 did you purchase the knockoff penetrator teeth locally or online? Thanks!

Locally at (ironically) our Komatsu dealer. :D

Don't know the brand off hand but I'll find out and let you know. We've been buying the J series teeth from them for our 953C for several years and they were well especially for the price.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Back to our downtown project to backfill the curbs for the parking lot before the pavers come in. It's best to backfill the curbs prior to final DGB and binder placement so the curbs don't break.

Curb line adjacent to the RR tracks.

Jul-31-2023 (1).jpg

One of the 4 islands. They used a slipform machine for the long runs and it's still some of the crappiest curbs I've seen in a while. Hand formed sections were worse.

Jul-31-2023 (5).jpg
Access road to for the RR to their tracks. We've been waiting for a report from the geotechs to tell us what to do with it. Know what will work but it's not our lane to suggest, that's what the engineers get paid to design and we get paid to install.

Jul-31-2023 (3).jpg

As usual the curbs guys took longer than their time on the schedule and we played chase around. I hate that ****.

Jul-31-2023 (4).jpg