• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It's been a minute since I've updated this thread.

Finishing up the coffee shop.

We put the parking lot on subgrade the first time around and surprisingly the other trades didn't totally destroy it so we didn't have to come back in between initial grading and curb install. Usually there are 3 mobs - 1 for initial grading, 1 for putting the parking and walks on subgrade and 1 for backfilling curbs/final grade.

Grading out the rear parking lot and backfilling curbs.

IMG_5703.jpeg

For some reason the concrete guys used topsoil to bridge over the curbs so we had to clean that up as well.. :rolleyes:

IMG_5705.jpeg

The roof leaders we ran prior to the slab being poured worked out great. Painted pink stubbed up beside rear of the building.

IMG_5706.jpeg

Some guys can break an anvil with a rubber hammer. This sidewalk was recently poured on the other side of the entrance and somehow they ran over the corner with a small articulating boom lift.

IMG_5702.jpeg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Started another Irish auto parts store. This is #5 IIRC.

Pretty easy straight forward projects. Most are around 1 AC in size with a 6-7K SF building depending on prototype.

Mob in day. We'll burn a day moving equipment in and localizing GPS. I like to have all the control points installed by the surveyor several days prior to starting in case there are issues. Sub'ing out all of our erosion control now so that gets installed before we mob in as well.

Interesting auto parts competition side note - there is another national chain store being built across the street. These guys love to be side by side.

IMG_5470.jpeg

This was a fill site with roughly 55 tri-axle loads of import in order to build the pad. Local guy has a chert pit, trackhoes and trucks for a one stop import fill shop. Great guy to work with that we'll do business with in the future. He has a couple of nice KW T800 tri's with OX high lift bodies. Both autos.

This chert was more sandy than clayey but great material to work with.

Building the pad.

Sep-7-2023 (2).jpg

Proof rolling the cut area of the parking lot with a loaded tri. This truck is somewhere in the 85K range which is legal in AL on state and local roads, no Interstate though.

Sep-13-2023 (1).jpg

Building pad built and front parking lot graded.

Sep-13-2023 (2).jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The front edge of the parking lot extended out further than the existing fill. In order to tie the fill lifts together and reduce differential settlement the new fill needs to be "keyed in" which means notching the existing fill, compacting then placing new fill.

We cut the key in with our 305 mini as it wasn't that much and no need to bring a bigger hoe in.

Sep-12-2023.jpg

Compacting and placing fill.

Sep-12-2023 (1).jpg

Typical nuke gauge test. We'll back drag a smooth spot with a dozer or CTL. The nuke gauge can give a false reading if there are voids underneath it like cups in the lift from a sheepsfoot.

Sep-7-2023.jpg

First time we've seen this app on the techs phone. Nuke gauge sends the results to the techs phone. Pretty cool.

Sep-7-2023 (1).jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Might as well finish up the auto parts store while we're at it.

Building erected, curb poured and time to fine grade the parking lot.

Of course there are Lulls (or a Skytrack in this situation) in the way, they are always in the way.. :rolleyes:

Oct-11-2023.jpg

Front slope by the highway we step filled prior. Did the best we could with the proximity to the road. We don't get paid to design.

Oct-31-2023 (1).jpg

Rear of building graded out and curbs around the dumpster pad backfilled.

Oct-31-2023 (2).jpg

No storm pipe on this job. The entire parking lot drains out this swale at the rear since no run off is allowed to flow onto a state HWY. Competing auto parts store is behind and started first.

Once again we don't get paid to design.

Oct-31-2023 (3).jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Side note of what a small commercial site contractor has to deal with - all the other trades that leave their **** laying around for someone else to clean up.

This is what we had when we show up to backfill curbs and final grade. Concrete sub left their 2x10 forms and other garbage. It's typical.

That's where the thumb on the 305 comes in handy. Just grab the 2x10 and put it on the parking lot for the GC to handle since they hired them.

Oct-31-2023 (4).jpg

Another pile of trash left. Before -

Oct-31-2023 (5).jpg

And after-

Oct-31-2023 (6).jpg

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
The GC does not provide a dumpster? Around Seattle, there are usually 3 or more classifications; trash, wood, cardboard are the basics. The multiple classifications are to save on dump fees. Usually, the cardboard savings goes for an end of job party. On a half million sq feet, that goes for one hell of a party.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That's probably the thing I hated most about working in the building trades, every job site is a $hit hole of debris that you have to work around. Don't miss working around that not even a little bit. And it's very unusual now days to find a lot drainage that goes right back to the street, seems most everything short of building a house requires a drainage pond.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The GC does not provide a dumpster?

Yeah they all do. This young green super pulled his dumpster with no return since the parking lot was being poured. He had room in the back but he'll remember to keep a dumpster next time after he has to clean all that up.

And it's very unusual now days to find a lot drainage that goes right back to the street, seems most everything short of building a house requires a drainage pond.

If this store had an entrance on the state highway ALDOT would have required substantial detention. The entire parking lot would be full of underground chambers.

This store had access off a road installed by the city in order to attract businesses like this so the civil could pretty much design what they wanted and save a ton of money.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The GC does not provide a dumpster?

Yeah they all do. This young green super pulled his dumpster with no return since the parking lot was being poured. He had room in the back but he'll remember to keep a dumpster next time after he has to clean all that up.

And it's very unusual now days to find a lot drainage that goes right back to the street, seems most everything short of building a house requires a drainage pond.

If this store had an entrance on the state highway ALDOT would have required substantial detention. The entire parking lot would be full of underground chambers.

This store had access off a road installed by the city in order to attract businesses like this so the civil could pretty much design what they wanted and save a ton of money.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Maybe I missed it but did you take delivery of the new excavator yet?

Not yet.

Salesman ordered the wrong thumb. He was supposed to order one for the 30" bucket instead of the 48". Thumb came in last week and they installed it.

In addition we are having Sitech shorten the receiver poles on the rear of the machine. The one's they installed are to high IMO and concerned with 2-3K hours of shaking from operation/tracking affecting the receivers lifespan.

IMG_5824.jpeg

The new poles will be slightly above the cab. Sitech will have to re-measure and calibrate the machine to the shorter poles on the rear. 48 and 30" buckets both have to be there for the calibration.

IMG_5825.jpeg

Fitted both our 321DL and now traded 325FL with a piece of pipe on the lower thumb pin boss in order to keep the ears from spreading from rocks and other debris while the thumb is off the machine. Going to have the dealer install the same on this one.

IMG_5822.jpeg

321DL thumb's pin boss, there is a grease fitting on the back side.

IMG_2447.jpeg

Welder Dave

I had a set price and it was left over. I was surprised they left so much. Here's kind of a pic. of it. There's more under the siding too.

Attachments

• 20190901_165449.jpg
    20190901_165449.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Nice new hoe cm you will love that 325 we bought one bout 2 years ago I enjoy running it have t had any issues with ours except for the def header going out on it at about 1200 hrs the tech told us they just go out it sucks when your trying to load it over the back of the low bed and it decides to derate on you half way trying to climb over the back I hope we get the Trimble system installed in the future

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A little R&R -

Wife, 2 college buddies and I went to San Fran to see Auburn play Cal in Berkley.

San Fran was better than I expected and that's all I say about that. View from our hotel room was beautiful. Old hotel but it was nice and staff were great.

20407998-9DFD-4808-AAF9-C21084A2C564.jpeg

We had pretty good seats in Cal Memorial stadium.

587F669E-E97E-4F34-AC01-385DEC4FD4E5.jpeg

Pretty damn cool halftime show with drones making different caricatures. Guess this was a dig at Stanford. :D

B73849FE-C733-41BB-AD45-6AEB4C9476FA.jpeg

Pre-game party at the Northern California Auburn club. We are everywhere.;)

9AE728E6-8CD8-4970-A6C4-73185F0A2204.jpeg

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Wrap up of northern cali -

Self driving car. We saw several of these.

IMG_5626 (1).jpeg

Glad we don't have the same fuel taxes in AL.

IMG_5561.jpeg

Monday before we left for the east coast we traveled to wine country with a stop at Muir Woods. Just can't get away from the yellow iron and back up beepers even on a vacation.:p

The guy in the seat of the 315 couldn't hit the ground with the bucket. It was funny at first and then so frustrating to watch.

94064B60-9014-4503-BC62-C75FB5881E28.jpeg

Last edited: